IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page how good are pushups for you?
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

(#1)
Old
Banned
The Chop Stick can only hope to improve

Default 03-16-2006, 12:10 AM

I used to be able to doa decent amount of pushups.. but then i stopped, because i thought maybe they were pointless.

am i wrong

(#2)
Old
Maverick is a splendid one to behold Maverick is a splendid one to behold Maverick is a splendid one to behold

Default 03-16-2006, 06:07 AM

If you can do more than 15, they probably aren't the best avenue for gaining muscle. If thats the case, use them supersetted with other chest exercises when your chest is already fatigued. Also, adding weight in a backpack, setting your feet higher than your body, one-handers, or altering the width of your armscan also make them more challenging.
(#3)
Old
lil bear is on a distinguished road

Default 03-19-2006, 09:55 AM

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">

<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

get pushup bars.they enhance the movement by adding extra stretch at the bottom.and yes,definately try different widths.(narrow width is my favoritebecause the burn in the tri's is awesome.)i also find that pushups in general are a good thing to stick to because they seem to help keep me limber in the shoulders which is crucial being that i like to get on the heavy bag and be ready to reallygo off on it.i've noticed that if i dont do a couple sets of pushups before the heavy bag workouts it takes me longer to be able to feel like i can go off on it without the feeling that i could injure my shoulders.this explains why pushups are an absolute must for boxers.

<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo>
(#4)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#5)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Push ups are a great exercise but like Maverick says after a while you will need to find some way to increase resistance or it will be much more of a conditioning movement than a building movement.
I like to finish chest day with either cable crossovers or peck deck. There are some days that I want a little shock (or somebody is relaxing on the peck deck) so I do 10 sets of ten push ups with 10 seconds rest between sets, off a set of 50lb dumbbells; it’s like the push up bars lil Bear is talking about.
Lil Bear is a serious push up man doing those close grip ones.
Here are some pictures of KICKBOY JR. working pushups.
KICKBOY JR.
He grows everyday not sure of exact height
68lbs.
D.O.B. 4/10/97

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#6)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA

Default 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM

(#7)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA

Default 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM

Our Karate teacher says “if your chin does not touch the carpet they don’t count”.Edited by: kickboy

(#8)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA

Default 03-20-2006, 10:14 AM

(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM

That is so cool give a big pat on the back for me.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#10)
Old
8pack

Default 03-22-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Also, adding weight in a backpack,
man maverick thats a good idea! now i got a way to keep the weights in my back without them falling!
(#11)
Old
Falc900man is on a distinguished road

Default 03-23-2006, 03:33 AM

When I was at a gym for the second time in SC, A guy there told me to set up three inch arobic benchs to my sides, then when I keep my hands inbetween them, I push up and put my hands on the benchs in one motion. He told me When I get good enough, to do them on a standard utility bench, but thats still high for me now. The sad thing is my weight room dosn't have arobicstep benchs
(#12)
Old
Banned
The Chop Stick can only hope to improve

Default 03-28-2006, 02:14 AM

I care more about my arms than chest, is that bad?
(#13)
Old
smpthy4tdvl is on a distinguished road

Default 05-09-2006, 03:00 PM

I think pushups provide a definite plus. I would say that people shouldn't even start to bench press until they can do at least 50 push ups in one set. Also they are good if one has a minor injury and is trying to rehab it.
(#14)
Old
Allworld is on a distinguished road

Default 05-09-2006, 03:13 PM

I like to superset with pushups after cable crossovers as many as I canon the last onego down really slow and then hold it just above the floor.

I have 9 kids so rotate them on my back and do pushups like that, it works pretty well!
(#15)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 05-10-2006, 08:02 AM

Push-ups are in a sense an endurance exercise rather than a strength exercise. Most kids need to start off with push-ups because this starts them off with a good base and body weight.

I recommend them for warming up mostly unless you are circuit training or doing drop sets for chest.

We did a shit load of them in the Police Academy as I am sure those of you that served in the military did. This is mainly for endurance.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#16)
Old
barnetjs is on a distinguished road

Default 05-11-2006, 07:58 AM

PUSHUPS are also great for your overall core stability.