IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Diet & Nutrition
Reload this Page Help! 5-7 meals a day Plans
Diet & Nutrition Tips on eating healthy and eating enough. What and how much you eat can make a huge difference in building muscle & improving performance.

Help! 5-7 meals a day Plans
(#1)
Old
CostControl is on a distinguished road

Default Help! 5-7 meals a day Plans - 01-27-2009, 05:38 PM

I just started working out a few weeks ago and in preparation, I have cut out sodas, fast food, and generally unhealthy food for the past 2 months. Now I am ready to take my next step and start eating a bodybuilding diet. I am 6'1" and weigh 175 lbs. I have noticed a couple of people have posted their 5-7 meals a day diet and was wandering if other people wouldn't mind posting their own "multiple meals a day" plans so I could have some references to base my own meal plans off of. Any help is much appreciated.
(#2)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostControl View Post
I just started working out a few weeks ago and in preparation, I have cut out sodas, fast food, and generally unhealthy food for the past 2 months. Now I am ready to take my next step and start eating a bodybuilding diet. I am 6'1" and weigh 175 lbs. I have noticed a couple of people have posted their 5-7 meals a day diet and was wandering if other people wouldn't mind posting their own "multiple meals a day" plans so I could have some references to base my own meal plans off of. Any help is much appreciated.
Hi, and welcome to IPYU. Here's mine for young/new lifters...

For young/new lifters, follow these rules:

1) Eat at least 5 meals per day. Eat when you get up, and then eat a meal every 2.5 to 3 hours throughout the day. Do NOT wait more than 3 hours in between meals.

2) Eat at least 30 grams of protein per meal. For those of you who hate to cook, canned tuna, canned chicken, protein bars, protein shakes, eggs, and McDonaldís double cheeseburgers from the $1 menu have just become your best friend.

3) Eat some quality carbs at each meal. Quality means avoiding gorging yourself on crap foods. Eat oatmeal, quinoa, rice, pasta, and veggies. We are not necessarily talking massive quantities with each meal, but you must fuel your body regularly. Ramen Noodles, Mac and Cheese, health food store quinoa, bulk oatmeal and frozen peas and broccoli have just become your inexpensive and welcomed friend.

4) Drink milk. Drink at least 3 glasses of milk each day, and not the low-fat kind. Your body needs fat to function. If you donít have time for chicken and rice, nothing works better than 2 cups of milk blended with protein powder and a couple of bananas.

5) Donít worry about becoming a health nut. Yes, you heard me right. I want you to eat good 75% of the time, but by all means, donít become anal. You are young, and eating half a Pizza Hut pizza or 3 McDonaldís double cheeseburgers for a meal is quite acceptable. Donít live on chicken and broccoli alone; youíll never make gains. Yes, you need healthy foods in your diet, but donít go all The Biggest Loser on yourself.

6) Eat at least 4000 calories a day. While I donít recommend counting calories, I do recommend making sure you get at least 4,000 calories per day. Is there an exact amount you should eat every day? No. Just make sure that, A) you are getting at least 4,000 calories each day and, B) you are not gorging yourself so much at any given meal that you cannot eat again in 3 hours. Eat to your satisfaction and pleasure, but make sure you can eat again in 3 hours.

7) Always make sure you eat one hour before training. Donít eat like a slob. Eat just enough so you donít notice the meal during your workout.

8) Eat like a slob after your workout. Eat everything in sight after your workout.

If you get up at 7:00 am, your eating schedule should look something like this:

7:30 am - Oatmeal with 2 bananas, 2 cups of milk with 2 scoops protein powder. Or, eggs with a ton of cheese, a bagel, and a bunch of grapes.

10:00 am - Can of chicken w/Ramen noodles (or quinoa, or mac and cheese, or a packaged rice dish), and some veggies if they are around. Or, take that can of chicken and mix it with ranch dressing and make a couple of chicken salad sandwiches. Slap that goo on wheat bread, and add a couple slices of cheese.

12:30 pm - Lunch time! Eat whatever your cafeteria has that sounds good to you, or bring in lunch: tuna or chicken salad sandwiches, quinoa with chicken and salsa (you can eat a ton of this), or mac and cheese with broccoli and tuna mixed in. By all means, if you are eating out, go for the pizza, Mexican food, Chinese food, etc. Chase this lunch with a glass or two of milk.

3:00 pm - (pre-workout meal - if you lift @ 4 pm) Protein bar (or drink) and 2 bananas, OJ and string cheese with a sandwich, Ramen noodles with tuna, etc.

6:00 pm - (post workout) This should be your biggest meal of the day. Eat whatever you want, making sure you get some complex carbs (rice, pasta, quinoa, etc) and veggies in. Go to a Chinese buffet, hog down a whole box of mac and cheese with a pound of hamburger and salsa, or eat a whole pizza.

9:30 pm - A light meal. Munch a can of chicken mixed with ranch dressing, down milk with protein powder, or nibble on string cheese and chase it with a couple of apples.

Understand, the above sample eating plan is JUST A GUIDELINE. It is not a carved in stone meal plan you must follow. The above plan follows the 8 eating rules that I provided you with. You can workout whenever you want, and eat whatever you want, as long as it follows the rules.

Get creative. Small meals donít have to require cooking. Keep a lot of food on hand that is grab and go.

Do you want to know my eating plan in college? Here goes:

7:00 am - box of mac and cheese with a can of tuna mixed in

9:30 am - (pre-workout) Cup of Ramen soup with 4 hard boiled eggs

Noon -(post-workout) Cafeteria time! Lots Ďo milk, lots Ďo food, followed by 1-2 pieces of cheesecake

3:00 pm - Cup of Ramen noodles with a can of tuna

5:30 pm - Cafeteria time! Lots Ďo milk, lots Ďo food, followed by 1-2 pieces of cheesecake

8:30 pm - can of tuna or 4 hard boiled eggs with a banana
(#3)
Old
indianballer will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to indianballer
Default 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM

I have, by no means, the healthiest of diets, but judging by your height and weight, fat may not be your biggest problem. If you're built like me, which it sounds like you are, you just need to worry about consuming as many calories as you can. Worry about cutting things out as your abs start to blur and such.

This is my diet and it has worked for me...keep in mind I'm a college student so it varies and I can't control what they serve in the cafeteria

Meal 1 - 7:30 AM (cafeteria)
roughly 4 eggs scrambled
large serving of hash browns or some other high carb food
pancakes

Meal 2 - 11: 30 AM (cafeteria)
Lots of pasta
slice or 2 of thin crust pizza
some type of chicken or fish (2 servings)
whatever vegetables they are serving
yogurt or fruit salad
@ 2 hard boiled egg whites

Meal 3 - whenever I have time between classes
Grilled chicken sandwich
sun chips

Meal 3 - Post workout - 4:30 PM
Protein shake
Gatorade

Meal 4 - 5:30 PM (cafeteria
some type of chicken or fish (2 servings)
2 servings of vegetables
tacos, fajita wraps, whatever they decide to serve I eat

Meal 5 - 8:00 PM
grilled chicken sandwich
sun chips

Meal 6 - 9:00 PM
canned chicken
ramen noodles

Meal 7 - 10-11:00 PM
Casein shake

As you can see not a healthy diet by any means but it accomplishes my goals. I try to keep the fried food to what they serve in the cafeteria. About once a week I'll splurge and go out for a late night sub-way trip or something. My main focus is eat enough to combat my metabolism. Hope this helps a little.
(#4)
Old
CostControl is on a distinguished road

Default 01-28-2009, 08:07 AM

Thank you so much for the information. It was exactly what I was looking for! Also, special thanks to you M&B for your "eating rules". Those rules along with the 2 meal plans provided by you and Indian really give me a good starting point to base my meal plan off of. Plus, I like hearing that I don't have to eat like a complete health nut all the time. Once again, thanks guys
(#5)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostControl View Post
Thank you so much for the information. It was exactly what I was looking for! Also, special thanks to you M&B for your "eating rules". Those rules along with the 2 meal plans provided by you and Indian really give me a good starting point to base my meal plan off of. Plus, I like hearing that I don't have to eat like a complete health nut all the time. Once again, thanks guys
YW Cost. Please keep us up to date on how things are going...
(#6)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM

I donít want to sound as if I am criticizing the opinions of others but rather offering another opinion.

I disagree with several of these rules.

2) Eat at least 30 grams of protein per meal. For those of you who hate to cook, canned tuna, canned chicken, protein bars, protein shakes, eggs, and McDonaldís double cheeseburgers from the $1 menu have just become your best friend.

Kickís opinion- stay away from McDonaldís their food is filled with preservatives, carbs and protein are low to no quality and the fat is not healthy fat like say almonds olive oil and fish oil.

Ramen Noodles, Mac and Cheese- bad carbs, you might as well have a pop tart (I like pop tarts) but they are filled with hydrogenated vegetable oil.

4) Drink milk. Drink at least 3 glasses of milk each day, and not the low-fat kind. Your body needs fat to function. If you donít have time for chicken and rice, nothing works better than 2 cups of milk blended with protein powder and a couple of bananas.

Kick says 2% or skim milk but I agree milk is good and part of my diet.

5) Donít worry about becoming a health nut. Yes, you heard me right. I want you to eat good 75% of the time, but by all means, donít become anal. You are young, and eating half a Pizza Hut pizza or 3 McDonaldís double cheeseburgers for a meal is quite acceptable. Donít live on chicken and broccoli alone; youíll never make gains. Yes, you need healthy foods in your diet, but donít go all The Biggest Loser on yourself.

Kick says you donít have to worry about being a health nut, just grab a little discipline and stay away from highly processed food your body does not recognize.
I hope my competition thinks eating good 75% of the time is good, that gives me a 20% edge. You want to have a cheat meal fine but a regular habit with pizza hut and McDonaldís is IMHO unhealthy.

6) Eat at least 4000 calories a day. While I donít recommend counting calories, I do recommend making sure you get at least 4,000 calories per day. Is there an exact amount you should eat every day? No. Just make sure that, A) you are getting at least 4,000 calories each day and, B) you are not gorging yourself so much at any given meal that you cannot eat again in 3 hours. Eat to your satisfaction and pleasure, but make sure you can eat again in 3 hours.

Kick says get 200 grams of clean protein, drink a gallon of water (1.5 gallons is even better) and consume between 2400-2800 calories per day. Eat as much whole food as you can.

8) Eat like a slob after your workout. Eat everything in sight after your workout.

Kick says post workout is the most important feeding of the day make it a good one. This is when you want simple carbs such as glucose, dextrose and my favorite fructose.

I like OJ and whey post workout followed 1 hour later by a full meal (but that is just me).

Iím not eating as clean as I should right now but Iíll post what I ate today.

1. 5 egg whites and 1 yolk and a banana, cup black coffee
2. Home made chili and rice.
3. 2 serving oatmeal (rolled oats NOT instant) 40 grams of whey, 1/8 cup almonds +- an almond or two. LOL
4. shot of VPX redline and loads of water (preworkout)
5. Grilled chicken breast 16oz OJ steamed cabbage.
6. 1 cup yogurt (plain no fat) mixed with 20 grams of whey.

I should have some more complex carbs in meal 1 and 4 but Iím cutting some fat right now, and Iím struggling with my diet a bit.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#7)
Old
scoobs13 is on a distinguished road

Default 01-29-2009, 12:57 AM

That damn mac and cheese is so easy to cook. Especially when you are tired of pasta and chicken.
(#8)
Old
Campbell23 is on a distinguished road

Default 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM

I need to get 5-7 meals a day also, however I don't have the money to eat 5-7 meals a day 5 days of the week. I workout intensely for about 50 minutes M-F, so calories/fat intake isn't a concern with me.

I'm 5'11, 170 lbs; what would be a good way to get that many meals in a cheap manner while getting 240g of protein, and I'm also sorta picky. I'd appreciate the help.
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM

This is another reason the warrior diet concept is easy to follow and does work.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#10)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM

A good whey protein is one of the least expensive sources of protein I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, and American Whey. Late night I like Optimum Nutrition Casein protein. I try to limit the powdered food to 3 scoops per day or around 60 grams of protein the rest I prefer to get from whole food. I buy my food in bulk at a Costco and sometimes super Wal-Mart. In the last 2 years I have seen boneless skinless chicken breast go from 2.49 per pound to 2.99 per pound but that is still better than most grocery stores here in N.C. I have also started incorporating some thighs and drumsticks. I make sure I cook them without the skin to keep the fat down. To me they taste better than white meat and the cost is considerably less, closer to 2.00 per pound.
Eggs are IMO a super food. I have no problems with dithery cholesterol and after all cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone so if you have no problems with cholesterol the eggs are great. To keep the fat in check for every six eggs I eat I remove 5 yolks. I throw my extra yolks out but if you like they are good for making butter cream cake frosting (which you can have once a year on your Birthday )
Canned tuna has gone up around 25% in the last 18 months so watch for sales and stock up. Keep in mind tuna is high in sodium. Canned Salmon is very good but more expensive. If you can find a good frozen white fish like halibut I think it’s better for you than canned fish.
Kickboy likes red meat and flank steak is pretty reasonable, sirloin is a good deal if you catch it on sale and tenderloin is even better but the price is up there. I get most of my red meat from the deer I kill so the cost is very good. If you use a bow the arrows are often reusable but a cartridge that cost 1.25 will still bring down 40 pounds of butchered, deboned meat.
Yogurt, cottage cheese and milk are good sources of protein and like eggs are a super food. I go for fat free in all these products because as adults we do not need the fat children do. I get fat from olive oil, fish oil, nuts and flax seed oil. There is some protein in beans, nuts and other plants we eat but I do not count it in my diet as protein.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.

Last edited by kickboy; 01-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.
(#11)
Old
scoobs13 is on a distinguished road

Default 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell23 View Post
I need to get 5-7 meals a day also, however I don't have the money to eat 5-7 meals a day 5 days of the week. I workout intensely for about 50 minutes M-F, so calories/fat intake isn't a concern with me.

I'm 5'11, 170 lbs; what would be a good way to get that many meals in a cheap manner while getting 240g of protein, and I'm also sorta picky. I'd appreciate the help.
Dang thats what I'm shooting for, 170lbs. But I'm only 5'10.