IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page left shoulder pain after bench pressing
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

left shoulder pain after bench pressing
(#1)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default left shoulder pain after bench pressing - 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Title says it all!! Lately my left shoulder has been hurting after bench pressing/ incline/ decline, barbell or dumb bell.. its like a cramp or annoying mild pain. Mainly in the front head..

anyone got any clues for me why this happening!? my right side is fine, no trouble at all... It's not stopping me from doing the exercises, just hurts all the time now. I do rotator cuff stretches all the time, as well as upper and lower back stretches on the precore machine..

any input would rock!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Flat benching is terrible for shoulders. Some of us aren't so lucky with this movement and I at times have issues too. You might try switching to incline and/or decline for a while til it subsides and maybe still do some really light weight stuff to just give it some therapy. Oh and I also believe DB fly's are worse on my shoulders than benching. So I use cables or a machine for fly's. No issues that way.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Man I've had shoulder pain for a while. It went away but recently has come back. I ordered some glucosamine. You still taking Animal Flex?

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#4)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM

cissus works better then glocosamine in my opinion. could be a small rotator tear.irritating but not painful.

Controlled labs supps.
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 02-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Rick - Yeah I cant do DB flys at all... wayy to painful

DD- Still taking flex. Might up to 2 paks a day and see if that helps.

Recarp- thats exactly it. annoying but not stopping me. Maybe start icing a few times a day?

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Lighten up a little on the weight, and go strictly db's for a while. That's what I had to do for a while, and I mean more than a couple of weeks.
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 02-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPAW View Post
Lighten up a little on the weight, and go strictly db's for a while. That's what I had to do for a while, and I mean more than a couple of weeks.
Sounds good Paw. I was strictly DBs for a while, but I was going heavy.. so maybe drop it a bit, aim for strength instead of size and strength.

(#8)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM

how light we talking Paw? what were you doing for reps / sets?

example:

80lbs dumbbells were my heavy, failing on 5th Rep.

65lbs Dumbbells were used for reps around 8- 10.

so should I go with like 45lbs for 3 sets of 10?

(#9)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -

Default 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM

id say pick a weight you can get 10-12 reps but stay about 2reps short of failure.

Controlled labs supps.
(#10)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Ill give her a try recarp!

thanks!

(#11)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM

so last night I dropped the weight quite a bit on all pressing exercises. stopped sets at 9- 10 reps. Shoulder still feels rough, but hopefully in a month or so this will pass.. its always something with me

(#12)
Old
ShawnD is on a distinguished road

Default 03-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Yeah I hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago too. It doesn't hurt but its just an annoying tingling type of hurt pain ha. Anyone know what this could be? I'm taking the rest of this week off and ill resume Monday hopefully. I may do arms tomarrow though. Help?

OFWGKTA
(#13)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. It doesnt hurt, its just like pressure/ an annoyance.

(#14)
Old

Default 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM

What do you think it could be beef?

OFWGKTA
(#15)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Beef let it heal before it causes more serious injuries!!! Trust me lol. Stay away from flat barbell. For now stick with slight incline DB presses (Just put the bench on the first notch or put 2 45lb plates under the head of the bench). That will help with stabilizer muscles. Next pick a good machine press you like, preferably a flat or incline. Try to stay away from decline for now because it will put your should in a vulnerable position. Finish it off with a high rep machine fly or cable crossover. At the end of this training session give some internal/external rotations a try as well. you can youtube these if you are not aware of them. I like to roll a towel and tuck it under my elbow to prevent cheating. Stick with light weight and higher repitions (15). Do this for a couple weeks and let us know how it feels.

My reccomendation

Low incline DB Press-4 sets 12-15 reps (Like recarp said stay shy of failure)

Flat/Incline Machine Press-4 sets of 12-15 reps

Machine Fly/Cable Crossover 4 sets of 15-20 reps

Internal/External rotations-3 sets of 15 reps

Ice afterwards if needed.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#16)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-04-2012, 05:06 AM

Shoulders injuries suck! Once there, always there is seems. Let it heal right.

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor...exercises.html

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#17)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks Matt ill def. Look into that!!!! Appreciate it!!

For sure omaha! I've taken a month + off and it never went away.. Idk

Shawn Dizzle my Nizz... LoloL!! I don't know what it is but I remember when it first showed up.. I was doing Smith machine Seated Shoulder presses, and I went a little too deep on a rep and I instantly had to stop lifting.. Straight sucked!

(#18)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 03-05-2012, 01:11 AM

John and Shawn,

During what joint action does it hurt? (abduction, adduction, horizontal abduction, horizontal adduction, flexion, or extension? If you don't know what these mean, I'll explain them in a second)

Find somebody who can use their hands to resist these movements a little bit. If you can't, then use the wall. You're not looking for a lot of resistance, just enough to push back a little bit against you. (I'm not a therapist or a doctor -- I'm just a trainer -- but I've experienced enough of this that I can help you assess what is going on)

Go through each of the following movements against light resistance, and note the level of pain between 0 ("no pain") and 10 ("murderous raging pain")

1a - HORIZONTAL ADDUCTION
This is the motion your shoulder goes through during a bench press or flye.

Standing up or sitting, spread your arms out wide to your sides with palms forward, keeping your elbows softly bent (as you would during a flye), and press your arms forward against the resistance.

1b - HORIZONTAL ABDUCTION
This is the motion that your shoulder goes through during a wide-grip row or reverse flye.

Standing up or sitting, spread your arms out wide to your sides, keeping your elbows softly bent, and press them backwards against the resistance.

2a - (VERTICAL) ABDUCTION
This is the motion your shoulder goes through during a shoulder press or lateral raise.

Standing up or sitting, spread your arms wide with palms down, keeping your elbows softly bent, and press your arms up against the resistance.

2b - (VERTICAL) ADDUCTION
This is the motion your shoulder goes through during a lat pulldown or pull-up.

Standing up or sitting, spread your arms out wide to your sides, keeping your elbows softly bent, and press them downward against the resistance.

3a - FLEXION
This is the motion your shoulder goes through during a narrow-grip shoulder press, close-grip bench press, dip, or front raise.

Standing up or sitting, raise your arms up in front of you & above your hips with elbows slightly bent, palms facing down, and press them up against the resistance towards the plane of your shoulders.

3b - EXTENSION
This is the motion your shoulders go through during a seated row, one-arm row, chin-up, or straight-arm pulldown.

Standing up of sitting, raise your arms up in front of you & above your shoulders, palms down, and press down against the resistance.

GENERAL ASSESSMENT
**Again, I am NOT a doctor nor a therapist; I am a trainer with some experience in this area. It is best you seek out a doctor or physical therapist for a true assessment of your injury.**

WHERE WAS THE PAIN?
I listed the joint actions in pairs of opposing movements, with the "a" joint actions being "push" and the "b" exercises being "pull".

If the pain is in a single joint action, you might have inflammation in the muscles and/or tendons there. Try some ice (20 minutes on / 40 minutes off), and avoid that joint action for a week or two, and slowly reintroduce it at a lower intensity (ie, 12+ reps and weight well below maximal for that rep range).

If the pain is in a pair of opposing joint actions (ex. 1a & 1b), you likely have some serious inflammation in the shoulder joint (think "something-itis"). Continued maximal lifting through this range of motion can only further aggravate your injury. You can still lift through the other two pairs' ranges of motion, but leave this pair out for at least 6 weeks, and monitor your level of pain as you slowly reintroduce them.

If your pain is in a series of push or pull movements only (example, all the A movements hurt), you may have a tear in your delt and/or pecs(A) and/or lats/rhomboids(b) ((that is a limited suggestion, as some of these muscles are involved in lifts in the opposing direction)) If this is the case, your injury is definitely above my pay grade. I can make educated guesses, but they'll likely miss the mark.

There is also the possibility of shoulder impingement (the supraspinatus -- one of the muscles of your rotator cuff -- is pinched in the shoulder joint), and though ice and rest will likely do the trick, therapy might be necessary.

AAAAAAAAAAAAND NOW THAT THE LOAF HAS RAMBLED ON FOR A DAY AND A HALF........

Short suggestion: avoid benching for a few weeks. Ice your shoulder. Simply going "a little lighter" likely won't provide the rest that your injury needs.

I personally didn't perform adduction or abduction (shoulder press, pulldown, and the like) for 3 months because of inflammation in my shoulder. Did it suck? Yeah, big time. But I'm back to doing it and I'll be back where I left off before I know it. Had I kept forcing it, I'd likely be a world of pain right now. And that layoff came after months of ignoring that pain and pushing through it, despite knowing better. I'm lucking that I didn't tear anything. No matter what -- even if you have broken are close to breaking a personal record -- it's time for rest. Real rest. It'll suck for now, but you'll be grateful for it later.

Also, my apologies for such a long post, guys. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#19)
Old

Default 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Well loaf it hurts sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Its weird. Like while I was at the Arnold carrying 50+lbs of stuff it didn't hurt but on the drive home it did when I put my arm on the steering wheel. I'm going to try and do chest today and see if it bothers me and if so ill take a 3-4 week break...sniff :'(

OFWGKTA
(#20)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -

Default 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM

the best thing you can do is get your own ultra sound machine. heat it up a few times a week and take it easy.

Controlled labs supps.