IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page Shoulder Routine Help
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

Shoulder Routine Help
(#1)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default Shoulder Routine Help - 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Gents I'm needing some shoulder routine help. With so many different exerises for one body part I want to hit all muscles, without over training or missing a section. Current program after some warm up carido looks like:

Smith Machine Seated press
DB shrugs
DB up_right row
DB Seated Press
Peck deck rear delt flys
Nose pulls SS w/ low pully cable Lateral raises
DB or machine pully Lateral Raises.

All sets around 3 sets, slow and steady movments, ending ( not failing*) around 9/10 reps.
*on the nose pull+ pully lat super set, I do those to failure.

TY!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#2)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Honestly for what you have up there you are over doing it to much.

High volume is fine but mix it up every two weeks but keep the basics always in like heavy front presses. There is no need to do Smith Presses and DB presses on the same day. Believe me this is how shoulder problems start. I know. Here is what I would do

Heavy smith presses 3 to 4 sets
Lateral raises seated ( this keeps you from cheating) 4 sets
Rear Lateral Raises 4 sets

Heavy shrugs 4 sets
But if you are doing dead lifts or Rack dead lifts you are getting alot of shrugs work in there if you are doing shrugs right

Finish off with reverse cable cross overs or the reverse pec dec 4 sets to failure.

Mix the alternate exercises up about every two weeks for variety.

You will be surprised how fast your shoulders grow when you don't just torch them to death with high volume. In my opinion to many people do way to many exercises for shoulders and they never grow because you are using your shoulders all the time in back and chest exercises and they are getting worked here as well.

Hope this helped.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#3)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM

as the wise man lee haney said shoulder should be stimulated not annihilated.essentially they get worked on chest day and to a point on back day.so you dont have to smash them. pick an excercise for each head like mac's routine.should beok with that.

Controlled labs supps.
(#4)
Old
CandyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM

God stuff mad Mac! I switch mine up every two weeks, I do a lot of drop sets with high to low weights and then I do a lot of super sets with 5 dif shoulder exercises using the same weight 3 sets with 15 reps. Once done with the 1 super set I go into burpees then mountain climbers. I take a 1' rest then go right into the second set. By the time I'm ending my third set I can barely do the burpees and after the mountain climbers in exhausted. But an intense workout for sure. I always go to failure with at least one exercise or two if my Pre workout drink is working. Good luck. And keep us updated. I love shoulder workout.
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM

Thanks a lot everyone!! Def. Going to do less and see how that goes!!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Then you get my dumb ass in here who's going to tell you that since your shoulders get worked with everything else you have to beat them hard to make them respond since they're used to getting thrashed. My typical shoulder day (and mind you my shoulders are def my strong point and the only thing injury free)

Seated smith military press 4-5 sets heavy 6-8 reps
seated db press moderate high reps 12+
db shurgs - heavy 10 reps 4 sets
smith rows suppersetted with shrugs 8-12 reps
lat raises/weird fly machine high reps

Althernate week
seated db presses heavy 8 reps
face pulls - 10-12 reps
rear delt flies 20 reps
front raises - moderate
hammer strength presses - heavy
more rear delts

Mind you, concnetrating on using the targeted muscle is by farrrrr the most important part of training shoulders (well anything but wayyy easier to mess up with shoulders). However, I will point out, I only train shoulders every ~10 days or so.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM

I feel you Ouija. <3

(#8)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-08-2012, 08:47 PM

No you ain't no dumbass. It is just what your body responds too.

Looking at Johnbeef's program and what had posted and not getting the results he wanted it is safe to say the a more high intensity lower volume would be in order to stimulate growth.

That is what I like doing anyway with all body parts. a good 10 to 12 weeks high intensity then another 10 12 weeks high volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
Then you get my dumb ass in here who's going to tell you that since your shoulders get worked with everything else you have to beat them hard to make them respond since they're used to getting thrashed. My typical shoulder day (and mind you my shoulders are def my strong point and the only thing injury free)

Seated smith military press 4-5 sets heavy 6-8 reps
seated db press moderate high reps 12+
db shurgs - heavy 10 reps 4 sets
smith rows suppersetted with shrugs 8-12 reps
lat raises/weird fly machine high reps

Althernate week
seated db presses heavy 8 reps
face pulls - 10-12 reps
rear delt flies 20 reps
front raises - moderate
hammer strength presses - heavy
more rear delts

Mind you, concnetrating on using the targeted muscle is by farrrrr the most important part of training shoulders (well anything but wayyy easier to mess up with shoulders). However, I will point out, I only train shoulders every ~10 days or so.

(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-09-2012, 10:34 PM

True that on the intensity! More lifting, less resting. Once the bloods flowing don't stop.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#10)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

yeah I hit shoulders yesterday, and biceps today, moving quicker than I ever have ( mostly because they close and I need to get that lift in!!.. lol) but my shoulders actually felt good after lifting and all night at work. The burn usually stops a few hrs. after lifting, but im still feeling it today!! they even look a little bigger :O :O Biceps/ Triceps feel like jelly, lol. Feeling good!!

thanks guys!

(#11)
Old
CandyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Sweet!! Sounds like a perfect day at the gym. Love when my limbs are like jelly!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qhywez
(#12)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 10-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Shoulders would probably be one of the easiest bodyparts to train if you did not have any real equipment.

Just can just about find anything to actually pick up and press over your head. But one thing that is awesome for doing like side delts is a good ole gallon of water.

If you can swing it go buy a set of resistance bands. These are so versatile you can really get an awesome shoulder workout with them.

(#13)
Old
c0yled0tc0m is on a distinguished road

Default 10-24-2013, 12:28 PM

I use resistance bands for shoulders, and they work great! Upright rows are a great exercise to do with the bands, deep swimmers press is another. They would work with gallons of water too like Mac said

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your body. Get outta your head about it and just show up!"-Tony Horton
(#14)
Old
JonesCrow is on a distinguished road

Default 09-16-2014, 05:07 AM

Please tell me that i have a pain in my back shoulders after shoulder workout.,
How can i reduce this,.? And what is the rite way to do shoulder workout?

Orange County Boot Camp

Last edited by JonesCrow; 09-20-2014 at 01:45 AM.
(#15)
Old
simonjames is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to simonjames Send a message via Skype™ to simonjames
Default 11-10-2014, 11:53 PM

Shoulders are one of my favorite body part while in gym. But yeah have to mix it up and do it proper and see to it that you don't injure yourself.