IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page opinions please on my new protocol..
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

opinions please on my new protocol..
(#1)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default opinions please on my new protocol.. - 08-15-2012, 06:32 AM

ive created a new protocol called pto 6x6

(progressive tension overload 6 sets of 6 reps)

this is a strengh gaining protocol designed to break a platu on any of your major lifts, incline dumbells, squats, barbell rows, etc etc.

the pto part means progressive tension overload, you preform your reps with an explosive positive, and a slow negitive. week after week you aim to go heavier (even if its only a couple of pounds heavier) the 6x6 part means you preform 6 sets of 6 reps.

so, you,ll be using progressive tension overload, and performing 6 sets of 6 reps on all of your weak areas. this is purley for a fun expreriment on my part, but if you like my idea, or you dont then let me know.

cheers!
(#2)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Whats the progression part all about,ie goin up in weight on each set.

Controlled labs supps.
(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Not to be a dick but it's sort of like the Max OT training protocol.

But try it and see if it works for you by all means.

First off what are your major goals.

My biggest critique would be staying heavy and only doing 6 reps. Progressive overload is better equated when muscle is worked in a certain rep range and not particularly sets per say. You can benefit more with a rep range of 12-15 moderate weight and heavy sets 10-12. Or Time under tension.

Here is the negative portion of a 6x6, but I'm not saying to not do it. Just so you know.

When you go heavy and with a explosive Postive and slow negative you are going to get heavier and heavier that is good but that many sets will start to affect your CNS ( central nervous system) and is a sense after awhile will not send signals to the muscle to grow but put more stress on the joints to do the work. This is bad. You never want to solely start using the joints to push weight up and unfortunately to many guys to to heavy on certain lifts and do this.

Proceed with caution I would like to see where you go with this but keep these things in mind.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#4)
Old

Default 08-15-2012, 09:06 AM

you would make each set heavier as you go through the sets, i,e if i start my squat at 135, i would try and get to my last set still making 6 reps all the way through 220. all while using tension training.

i hope that makes sence? lol
(#5)
Old

Default 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Not to be a dick but it's sort of like the Max OT training protocol.

But try it and see if it works for you by all means.

First off what are your major goals.

My biggest critique would be staying heavy and only doing 6 reps. Progressive overload is better equated when muscle is worked in a certain rep range and not particularly sets per say. You can benefit more with a rep range of 12-15 moderate weight and heavy sets 10-12. Or Time under tension.

Here is the negative portion of a 6x6, but I'm not saying to not do it. Just so you know.

When you go heavy and with a explosive Postive and slow negative you are going to get heavier and heavier that is good but that many sets will start to affect your CNS ( central nervous system) and is a sense after awhile will not send signals to the muscle to grow but put more stress on the joints to do the work. This is bad. You never want to solely start using the joints to push weight up and unfortunately to many guys to to heavy on certain lifts and do this.

Proceed with caution I would like to see where you go with this but keep these things in mind.

not a dick at all, i aksed for an opinion and i got it. its just experimental and im only doing it on 4 or so exersises to see if my strengh goes up. i,ll try it for a month or so, worst that happens is nothing happens.
(#6)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM

so if your doing 135 for and 220 for 6 it seems like your not fatiguing the muscle in the first 3or4sets.

Controlled labs supps.
(#7)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
so if your doing 135 for and 220 for 6 it seems like your not fatiguing the muscle in the first 3or4sets.
I was thinking the same thing recarp. Also what is the frequency of working each muscle group and are you doing other lifts?

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#8)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Not bash your ideas, but from a strength stand point I would go with 5x5. It is tried and proven to work well. Warm up and then pick a weight, say 225 and perform 5 reps of 5 sets. Go up on weight when you can perform all the sets and reps. You can run that several different ways but that is the basic. Then you can follow it up with a traditional bodybuilding approach and work in the 10-15 rep range.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#9)
Old

Default 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
i used the weights as an example off the top of my head. well no your not going to be fatiguing the muscle in the first few sets but it wil allow more output in the later sets, its going to suit strong man and powerlifting trainers more than bodybuilders.

usually i dont do less than 10 reps. sometimes beacuse of that i cant max out on the heavier sets.

keep in mind guys this is just a bit of a idea for fun, and theroy. im not going to start promoting it and telling everyone to do it.
(#10)
Old

Default 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt20 View Post
I was thinking the same thing recarp. Also what is the frequency of working each muscle group and are you doing other lifts?
you would train as normal, and only do 6x6 on your weak lifts
(#11)
Old

Default 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt20 View Post
Not bash your ideas, but from a strength stand point I would go with 5x5. It is tried and proven to work well. Warm up and then pick a weight, say 225 and perform 5 reps of 5 sets. Go up on weight when you can perform all the sets and reps. You can run that several different ways but that is the basic. Then you can follow it up with a traditional bodybuilding approach and work in the 10-15 rep range.
thats fair enough, mine was a 5x5 style thing, just with tension training.

lol btw i really dont mind pepole bashing my ideas, it was just one of those things that comes into your head when your on the toilet, thought id see how many miles the idea has.
(#12)
Old

Default 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM

bailed on this. doing time under tension, but not the 6x6 bit. i think it was a mad 5 mins lol