IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page S.L.A.P lesion. any ideas on rehab exercises for this?
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

S.L.A.P lesion. any ideas on rehab exercises for this?
(#1)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default S.L.A.P lesion. any ideas on rehab exercises for this? - 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Hey guys, not really sure where I should put this but here looks good...I have been told by Doc that I have a S.L.A.P lesion. any ideas on rehab exercises for this? Thanks in advance
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 03-01-2011, 10:41 PM

huh ???
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM

It is an injury that occurrs in the shoulder where the bicep muscle is torn loose...not really sure on the technical terms and stuff I just know that I went from reps of 285 on the flat bench to 185 or so with extreme pain...I have started using the machines and that seems to help with the pain but the machine only goes to 200lbs...I need to rehab my shoulder but not really sure how...and not really wanting to spend a bunch of money at a rehab center.
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-02-2011, 09:35 AM

I moved this in the appropriate section. I think Papaw was wondering why it was posted in Matt20's log.

Honestly, I'd never heard of what you are asking, but searching came up with:

Quote:
SLAP is short for Superior Labrum from Anterior to Posterior, or from front to back. The labrum is the rim of cartilage found in the shoulder socket. An injury or tear to this part of the body is a SLAP lesion, which typically results from overuse, trauma and accidents such as falling onto your outstretched hand.
What are the symptoms of a SLAP lesion?
A person with a SLAP lesion or injury has shoulder pain, which becomes worse with throwing activities or when reaching overhead. The person may also experience some pain and soreness in the shoulder front when bending the elbow or turning the wrist. The person's shoulder may also click or snap with movement and may feel like being dislocated. Diagnosis of this injury involves a physical examination of the shoulder and a contrast MRI scan.
What are the treatments for SLAP lesion?
Most cases of SLAP injuries respond well to non-invasive or non-surgical treatment so this would be the first option for any patient. After your injury, your doctor would first recommend some rest to help ease symptoms. Your doctor may also prescribe medication to alleviate inflammation and pain.
Next, you will have to undergo a SLAP lesion physical therapy, which mostly involves stretching and muscle strengthening exercises targeting the muscles around the rotator cuff and scapula. It is also important at this point to limit or make adjustments in the activity that caused the injury, which could be a sport or work-related activity.
Cold therapy is also a part of SLAP lesion physical therapy. Therapists make use of ice packs or ice massage to reduce pain and swelling by applying these agents four to six times in an hour for three hours. Therapists may also apply ice if pain or any other symptoms worsen after an activity.
Certain patients, especially athletes, who play sports or do activities that involve a lot of throwing may continue to experience pain despite undergoing proper SLAP lesion physical therapy program. When symptoms do not go away after 6 weeks of conservative treatment or SLAP lesion physical therapy, your doctor will then recommend surgery to treat your shoulder. In surgery, the doctor may remove torn cartilages or attach them back in place.
After surgery, you will need complete bed rest and you must avoid activities involving the treated area. After a period of rest, your doctor may then recommend SLAP lesion physical therapy to help you restore your shoulder's strength and full range of motion.

Milos Pesic is a successful webmaster and owner of popular and comprehensive Physical Therapy information site. For more articles and resources on Physical Therapy related topics, Physical Therapy exercises and much more visit his site at:
=>http://physical-therapy.need-to-know.net/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Milos_Pesic
If there is a muscle tear, it may require surgery. Not sure on that. I guess it depends on the severity.

Have you seen a doctor?

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM

First off I appologize PawPaw. I am new to this who thread/blog thing but I will catch on (i hope). Thanks Rick for squaring me away.and thanks for the information. Yes I have seen a doctor but he came across to me as your not a college or professional athlete so I don't have time for the surgery. I have researched it and found that a lot of folks rehab it themselves with great success. I work in the aggressive side of Law Enforcement so I kinda need my shoulder..I have been back in the gym for about a month now and its seems to be getting a little better. I was just seeing if anyone in here may have first hand knowledge or any ideas for me..again thanks
(#6)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM

I had a torn Labrum and it required surgery. Rehab did nothing for me, because it was torn from the attachment site. Have you had an MRI? I would find another doctor that will be more helpful. Find an orthopedic doctor that works with athletes, best thing I ever did.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Thats in the plans actually Matt..thanks How long was you out of commision. I think that is close to the same thing isn't it?
(#8)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Here is the Oxymoron part of all of this. He put it in Matt's Thread. Who in turn had the same type of Injury. Now How is that for coincidence and also is a Physical Therapist. LOL.

So really he kinda started to put it in the right thread.

On topic. Listen To what Matt says. Also go see a Dr.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Well it's always better to be lucky than good...lol I have an appointment next week...thanks guys
(#10)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM

It was about 4-5 months before I could start lifting upper body LIGHT again. However, I started working legs out again 2 weeks after surgery. That and a good diet helped me from losing to much muscle mass.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed