IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > StrongMan Lifting
Reload this Page Strongman Training
StrongMan Lifting Strong man lifts, Unconventional styles of lifting. Grip training. Keg throwing, Farmers walk. or any other thing that describes strong man lifting this is the forum for this.

Strongman Training
(#1)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default Strongman Training - 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM

The best and probably only way to do good at a strongman contest is to train with the same items they use in a contest.
Sounds like common sense huh?
Well a few years back I tried a strongman contest and all I did was use weights to train for the meet. Actually I was able to locate a huge tire for tire flips but wasn't heavy enough and we weren't doing tire flips.
Anyway I got 4th place out of 5 and shouldn't have been suprised at the fact that weight training for a strongman contest is dumb!! Totally different!
Nothing can replicate the items you use out there except those items themselves!
Anybody ever do a strongman contest or at least train for one?

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

I thought Jwood maybe did some or talked about it at some point. Maybe he'll see this.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
SNS
NomZ is on a distinguished road

Default 08-22-2011, 02:44 PM

I recently did a smaller, local competition. My only experience in the events were deadlifts and farmer walks, I had never used the other implements before (stones, logs, sleds, fat bar, keg, etc).

I placed 1st out of 5 in the lightweight division. On the atlas stone load, only one heavy weight was able to tie the reps I set (same stone used).

Competition was a lot of fun, would get into strongman more if I had anything in my area.

Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com

All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
I recently did a smaller, local competition. My only experience in the events were deadlifts and farmer walks, I had never used the other implements before (stones, logs, sleds, fat bar, keg, etc).

I placed 1st out of 5 in the lightweight division. On the atlas stone load, only one heavy weight was able to tie the reps I set (same stone used).

Competition was a lot of fun, would get into strongman more if I had anything in my area.
1st?? Dang man that is friggin awesome!!
It was fun but hurt the heck out of my back man. I mean I was in serious NOT GOOD pain. The log lift was actually the hardest because I didn't realize how round they were. It was like doing a standing incline press!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#5)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction
jwood819 has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM

I have done some strongman training and still use it now for mostly conditioning. I have a tire and a log. Both of which are awesome implements. I agree it is tough to train strongman with weights, but there are a lot of lifts that translate well. Like the clean and press, the deadlift, zerher squats. Pretty much anything that is awkward.

You need a really strong core for strongman so heavy ab work is a must. Pretty much every implement is awkward. But I love tire flips for both strength training and conditioning. If I had more equipment and money I would get more stuff but it is a tough sport to get into.

Anabolic Addiction Rep

Check out the latest in our natural product line!
www.anabolicaddiction.net

Mass Addiction - PhenomV1 - HT-8 - ResverAcai - MFV - REHAB - IMPAC
My comments have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by Anabolic Addiction, LLC.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood819 View Post
I have done some strongman training and still use it now for mostly conditioning. I have a tire and a log. Both of which are awesome implements. I agree it is tough to train strongman with weights, but there are a lot of lifts that translate well. Like the clean and press, the deadlift, zerher squats. Pretty much anything that is awkward.

You need a really strong core for strongman so heavy ab work is a must. Pretty much every implement is awkward. But I love tire flips for both strength training and conditioning. If I had more equipment and money I would get more stuff but it is a tough sport to get into.
Yeah tire flips are fun but you have to put in alot of money for the equipment if you are to compete. Kegs, atlas stones, implements, tires and different sizes, logs (wood and steel), sleds, and all kinds of other stuff. What size tire and log???????

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#7)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction
jwood819 has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Yeah tire flips are fun but you have to put in alot of money for the equipment if you are to compete. Kegs, atlas stones, implements, tires and different sizes, logs (wood and steel), sleds, and all kinds of other stuff. What size tire and log???????
Everything is expensive, my plan is to hopefully slowly build up some equipment. I do not really ever plan to compete, but I would like to have the stuff just for fun. Strongman is just plain fun!!

My log is a 10 inch log and weighs around 55 pounds, from Pitbull Strongman Equipment. Very nicely done. And my tire is a little over 500 I believe. Brand new it would be 550 but some of the tread has worn off, just a rough estimate around 500 pounds.

Anabolic Addiction Rep

Check out the latest in our natural product line!
www.anabolicaddiction.net

Mass Addiction - PhenomV1 - HT-8 - ResverAcai - MFV - REHAB - IMPAC
My comments have not been evaluated by the FDA, do not constitute medical advice, and are not official or authorized comments by Anabolic Addiction, LLC.
(#8)
Old
SNS
NomZ is on a distinguished road

Default 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
1st?? Dang man that is friggin awesome!!
It was fun but hurt the heck out of my back man. I mean I was in serious NOT GOOD pain. The log lift was actually the hardest because I didn't realize how round they were. It was like doing a standing incline press!
The press medley (2 logs and a fat bar) was my worst event, I didn't even finish. I was sore all over for days after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood819 View Post
Everything is expensive, my plan is to hopefully slowly build up some equipment. I do not really ever plan to compete, but I would like to have the stuff just for fun. Strongman is just plain fun!!

My log is a 10 inch log and weighs around 55 pounds, from Pitbull Strongman Equipment. Very nicely done. And my tire is a little over 500 I believe. Brand new it would be 550 but some of the tread has worn off, just a rough estimate around 500 pounds.
You can make a lot of implements for cheap. Mold and pour your own stones, tires can be had for free with some searching, farmer handles can be made.

Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com

All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.