IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Powerlifting & Strength
Reload this Page Strength and Mass For beginners
Powerlifting & Strength The strongest of the strong discussing strength techniques and powerlifting tips. If you want strength over size, this forum is for you.

(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM

First and Foremost these are my Opinions and not necessary the opinions of most Pros or even Dotors out there. This is being made so it can be pointed out to new members what I think may be the best route to start a program out on.

Strength and Mass

These two go hand in hand. You will gain strenght along with mass. I hear so many saying they do not want to gain a lot of mass and vise versa. This will not happen. Get used to the fact that you will gain considerable mass when you start pushing around heavier weight. The up side to this is you will feel harder as your Muscle starts to grow more and at the same time becomes a Calorie burning furnace which in turn will burn more fat. I really can't think of a downside to this except to say that you will have to buy bigger shirts. LOL.

When starting a Mass and Strength building program consider this. What is your current physical state and experience level. If you are going to do this on your own remeber there are thousands of programs to follow and they are for the most part good ones if they follow these simple basic rules:

Train each Major body part once a week. Why ? Because muscle needs rest to grow. As the micro fibers in your muscle are torn do to heavy lifting it is said it takes at least 48 to 72 hours for it to reheal itself. Once a week is plenty of time for it to rest and grow. Besides some body parts that are being trained will come into play when you are working other body parts. Now this example I am about to give is for Heavy Training and not necessary what I do at this time. I would start out doing something like this as far as body parts :

1st day Upper body

2nd day Lower body

3rd day Rest

4th day upper Body

5th day Lower body
See how the days would allow plenty of rest in between workouts. The reason I did not post certain exercises is because this would be a rough outline on what could be done for a beginner looking for a good routine. We are not even getting into Cardio yet that is a whole different beast.

The next Outline would be a rough outline on what body parts to train and how many sets. A beginner should do at least 1 warm up set to get the joints loose and push some blood into the muscle that is about to be worked. I would do at least 3 working sets. This being done with moderate to heavy weight. For Regular mass building keep the reps to 8-12 reps. Why? Because 8to 12 reps make the muscle work for a period and then stresses the muscle to the point to were it makes it work at its peak performance hence resistance training. For just power and strength it would be safe to keep the reps in the 4 to 6 range but the differance here is the weight is much heavier. Basic rule to understand that if you are doing a set and shooting for power and you get 10 reps with it you are working to light. That is the bottom line. Power is over loading the Muscle and making it work at it's hardest.

Again Most people are looking to combine the two so 8 to 12 reps should be sufficant to do. This is also combined with at what intensity you are training at. Intensity is something that cannot be read to understand it has to be experienced but in my opinion it is something that is pyhcologically dominant in you that will make you traing harder. You have to have a certain "This shit aint gonna beat me" attitude if that helps you understand the mentality of what I am saying.

Alright back on track. Do 3 working sets and at least 4 exercises per body part with a minimum of 12 sets. This will keep you from over training and as you progress the total number of sets can go up. For now as a beginner keep a total work out to at least 12 total sets.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
JPwonder is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to JPwonder
Default 09-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Looks fine.
(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-26-2005, 12:56 AM

Ya think LOL

(#4)
Old
8pack

Default 10-02-2005, 01:24 PM

im not too into upperbody day/lowerbody day routines, im not a big fan of push day/pull day routine either
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 10-13-2005, 08:15 AM

For powerlifting purposes this is ideal. It gives the opposing muscles plenty of time to recover.

(#6)
Old
JPwonder is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to JPwonder
Default 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM

would u reccomd upper before lower? or it doesnt matter
(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 10-17-2005, 09:57 PM

Never really mattered to me. I just liked doing Lower at the end of the week. Mainly because it takes so much energy.

(#8)
Old
kookintime is on a distinguished road

Default 11-25-2005, 03:59 AM

Question: I'm feelin pretty bad these days. I am 44 years old and have worked out on and off for a number of years. I know quite alot about weight training and nutrition. Can someone help me understand how my stepson who is 15 years old, is 5'2" talland weighs 150lbs and has just started to weight train can bench 185lbs and I can barely bench 135lbs once! I am 6'2" tall and 200lbs and in pretty damn good shape! I feel sick!!
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Are you sick? what has been your best lift. Has it always been this way.

(#10)
Old
kookintime is on a distinguished road

Default 11-30-2005, 03:15 AM

What do you mean by sick? If you mean physically ill....no I'm not. At one time about 10 years ago I made a 180 lift but 140 for me is almost impossible. Always been around 140 max for the most part. I just started a 5x5 routine so we'll see where that goes.
(#11)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 12-26-2005, 01:05 AM

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. The reason I ask if you were sick was because you said you were feeling pretty bad these days. Is that from just being out of shape of what. Keep me posted on how your progress is going.

(#12)
Old
dpbigpolack will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dpbigpolack
Default 01-18-2006, 07:14 PM

well... certain parts of your upper-body, like chest and back, if worked right need MORE that 72 hours to heal. You may think it is healed when the pain goes away but its not. So if i hit chest monday i will not touch it till atleast fri, i usually wait one full week, same goes for back and legs. Other muscles such as bis and tris, calves, these muscles are smaller and require less time to heal, so you can work them twice a week. usualy for example; monday bis, thursday bis, somethin like that. If you dont give your muscles time to recover all its gonna do in the long run is get you smaller, and even worse, possibly injured. Hope this helps
(#13)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 01-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Good post see now I actually am trying to get smaller well not smaller muscluar wise but actually take more shape. That is why I do biceps and triceps still twice a week but big body parts still once a week Cardio like crazy and a good diet. shaping is everything to me now.

(#14)
Old
ALXCAB is on a distinguished road

Default 11-29-2006, 05:47 PM

I'm actually following this workout routine since it works best for me. it's kind of a hassle keeping track of what exercises to do on what day but with this its layed out simple.

Only question is when to add the cardio? Cause i'm one of those people that hate sitting around and If I'm gonna rest and watch TV I can do that at the gym while on a treadmill or elliptical.