IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Powerlifting & Strength
Reload this Page constantly platauing
Powerlifting & Strength The strongest of the strong discussing strength techniques and powerlifting tips. If you want strength over size, this forum is for you.

constantly platauing
(#1)
Old
bpearce12 is on a distinguished road

Default constantly platauing - 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM

hey guys i have been lifting for strength in my bench press for around 2 years and cant help but to shalke these pattterns of short bursts of strength gain and then platauing for a long time. is there any way to fix this problem i currently max 335 at 205 and here is my workout i just plataued today again and its extremely frustating lol.

max effort bench sets of 3,2,1 for 2 cycles of it at 300 for 3 305 for 2 325 for 1
dumbell bench 5x5 100
decline 5x3 295for first 3 sets then 300 for last 2
inlcine dumbell 3x10 with 80
flies for 3x10 with 50
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
SouthernIllinois has a spectacular aura about

Default 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Muscle confusion is the only way to break a plateau. U can add supplements bur for the most part once ur cycle is over ur gonna go right back to where you were before. Switch up your routine. If ur body gets used to the same movements over and over again ur not going to make any progress you'll just maintain what you've got. Throw in some negative reps, pyramid sets, run a few weeks of increasing or decreasing weight and stagger your reps/sets accordingly. Instead of using a pec deck try incline db flies for a couple weeks, throw in more isolated movements...etc. switchin up the game is a good way to trick ur body into getting stronger

(#3)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM

Sounds like solid advice from SI!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#4)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 03-31-2011, 09:44 PM

I agree completely.
(#5)
Old
driftonce is on a distinguished road

Default 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM

looks like you do a lot of chest work but it does not look like you train the bench press.
Try focusing on the lift and exercises that will aid the lift.
Drift
(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM

I heard a good thing or two about reverse-grip bench pressing. Give that a shot:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/trai...ip-bench-press

Good luck let us know how ya make out!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

I like the rev bench a lot. Done on the smith machine heavy.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#8)
Old
HomeGrown is on a distinguished road

Default 04-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Agreed with the confusion

Never hit the same workout always keep changing it up

MAN
(#9)
Old
forceofgreenlabs is a jewel in the rough

Default 05-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Indeed, it's good to change up your workout to keep things more interesting and stimulating. I don't disagree that it won't work, I do think it will be beneficial.

In essence, you're not confusing a muscle. You're just changing the circuitry of your nervous systems to be called upon to activate certain nerves that have been used to fire for the same routine over and over. This could be beneficial in a way.

It could also be beneficial to take cruise periods and get into the gym and continue your routine at around 60%ish and continue eating good clean calories without cutting yourself short. This will give your entire body a break from the hardcore lifts and strenuous quest to gain more strength and mass. After a 2 week cruise period, come back and pop out your workout with your dyre intensity to lift heavier and you will notice that your nervous system has remained accommodated with the same movements, but you will be (should be) able to lift heavier, as you've had time to complete some active recovery without all the catabolic activity.

I find that when persay, I switch from dumbells to barbells for a changeup and vice versa, my strength is lower and my movements (especially the eccentric movement) are not well sustained and by the time I'm at the strength I want to be at, I only have another 3-4 weeks before it's time for me to switch back again. I personally find myself taking 1-2 steps forward and 1-2 steps back and I'll either take a cruise period anyway or I'll be forced to take a break for some reason or another.

Try both methods and see what works better for you. I do care about numbers on few exercises, so my workouts in general are always changing, but when I was trying to increase numbers without instilling a significant amount of negative progress (an oxymoron, I know), I employed a cruise period. Remember that if you do use this method, DO the active recovery in the manner of order that you normally would. Just lower your efforts by about 40%ish. It's hard for some people not to go all out in the gym, because he/she is mentally drawn to go to failure and thinks it's a wasted trip to the gym, but it's not.

Also keep in mind... everyone has a limit
(#10)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM

I know this thread is kinda dead but for the person who may click this link because they are faced with a similar problem, I've found that using negatives has helped increase my strength and helped me push those limits. By using weight of about 102-105 percent of my 1RM and doing negative sets of 5 and 3 counts not only helps my muscles learn what the weight will feel like but it also overloads and confuses them. I believe muscles are smart and if you safely teach them to push 350lbs they will learn and build up to it. Limits to your strength are hard to find...

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#11)
Old
LisaIJT has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM

I have seen some plateaus with me and clients on the bench press especially. If you are looking to add strength, I HIGHLY recommend Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 to add strength. I have also found that the secondaries are usually what is failing you. In looking at the actually mechanics of the bench press, it is often lack of tricep strength or lat strength that is the problem. It can also be form. If you are having trouble getting the lift off at your chest, try dead bench or floor presses. Where are you having problems?
(#12)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpearce12 View Post
hey guys i have been lifting for strength in my bench press for around 2 years and cant help but to shalke these pattterns of short bursts of strength gain and then platauing for a long time. is there any way to fix this problem i currently max 335 at 205 and here is my workout i just plataued today again and its extremely frustating lol.

max effort bench sets of 3,2,1 for 2 cycles of it at 300 for 3 305 for 2 325 for 1
dumbell bench 5x5 100
decline 5x3 295for first 3 sets then 300 for last 2
inlcine dumbell 3x10 with 80
flies for 3x10 with 50
I know exactly what is happening. Very simple. 2 things that are very very common problems for athletes trying to get their bench up.
FIRST
Max Effort poundages can only be used for 2-3 weeks tops if doing the same exercise. You are. The nervous system can't take it and actually lowers output for the exercise. Solution? Stop bench pressing to get your bench stronger. You need to rotate max effort exercises. One week do floor presses. The next week do board presses. Next week do rack presses. Next week do band presses. Same 85-95% range but keep changing the exercises. I would recommend the following reps/set scheme. 2,2,1,1 and 1 more set of 1 trying a new record.
SECOND
You are getting slow. Since you are hovering in max effort reps every week your spped strength is getting weaker weaker and weaker. What is power?
Is it not mass of object x speed x force????
Throw in a dynamic effort day that increase speed strength. I recommend doing 9 sets of 3 reps at 55% with 30 seconds rest on flat bench using three different grips. Wide, narrow, standard.
NO NEGATIVES!!

Actually do the opposite. Negatives will slow you down. As a matter of fact you want to almost drop the weight on you before it hits your chest only to quickly catch it and reverse it back up as fast as possible. That is how you develop speed strength.

LAST NOTES
I noticed you are doing alot of heavy sets. Stop that!! LOL
Do one max effort exercise. Hypertrophy exercises. Then ancillary exercises (ones that target muscles that help you bench).

I don't hope this helps- this WILL help!!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#13)
Old
LisaIJT has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I know exactly what is happening. Very simple. 2 things that are very very common problems for athletes trying to get their bench up.
FIRST
Max Effort poundages can only be used for 2-3 weeks tops if doing the same exercise. You are. The nervous system can't take it and actually lowers output for the exercise. Solution? Stop bench pressing to get your bench stronger. You need to rotate max effort exercises. One week do floor presses. The next week do board presses. Next week do rack presses. Next week do band presses. Same 85-95% range but keep changing the exercises. I would recommend the following reps/set scheme. 2,2,1,1 and 1 more set of 1 trying a new record.
SECOND
You are getting slow. Since you are hovering in max effort reps every week your spped strength is getting weaker weaker and weaker. What is power?
Is it not mass of object x speed x force????
Throw in a dynamic effort day that increase speed strength. I recommend doing 9 sets of 3 reps at 55% with 30 seconds rest on flat bench using three different grips. Wide, narrow, standard.
NO NEGATIVES!!

Actually do the opposite. Negatives will slow you down. As a matter of fact you want to almost drop the weight on you before it hits your chest only to quickly catch it and reverse it back up as fast as possible. That is how you develop speed strength.

LAST NOTES
I noticed you are doing alot of heavy sets. Stop that!! LOL
Do one max effort exercise. Hypertrophy exercises. Then ancillary exercises (ones that target muscles that help you bench).

I don't hope this helps- this WILL help!!!
EXCELLENT advice Tim. One max out exercise per workout then build some shape and endurance!

Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart....Rollins