IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Topic of the Week
Reload this Page Intense Cardio Vs. Moderate long duration cardio.
Topic of the Week Just what it says. Each week we will have a new Topic to discuss. If you have one, feel free to start it.

Intense Cardio Vs. Moderate long duration cardio.
(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default Intense Cardio Vs. Moderate long duration cardio. - 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM

What are your feeling toward each of these and why.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 02-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
What are your feeling toward each of these and why.

Not a big fan of moderate long duration cardio
. I was a runner for many years (3-8 miles a day), and it resulted in me looking like a twig. I was also lifting (though very unstructured) during this time, and eating like a hog.

My heavy running years were age 16-21 (pre-serious weightlifting), and age 24-26 (US Army). During both of these periods I experienced muscle atrophy, despite heavy eating and simple weight training. (and, of course, bodyweight workouts in the Army)

My sister was a marathon runner, and trained from 10-20 miles per day on training days. FUBAR-ed her knees.

As far as Intense Cardio, I think it is a better alternative, but not so much for the over 35 crowd. The cumulative joint impact, and potential for strains and tears, makes this form of cardio a non-option for my aging body.

Thoughts. I prefer walking above any forms of cardio for my age...My heart rate is brought up many times a week through my weight training routine...squats, rest-paused deadlift set for 20 minutes, etc. I know this isn't the best way to get a higher heart rate, but it is the best way for my old, big butt
(#3)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Maybe an interesting read on cardio and it's effects on the size of you heart:

http://www.alsearsmd.com/signup/pace-google1/

Quote:
Our ancestors lived in a world where their food fought back. Predators attacked without notice. Humans had to run or fight – fast and hard.
Now I find this statement a little funny. When is the last time you were attacked by a carrot? I understand he's not talking about veggies, but still....sort of a dramatic statement.
(#4)
Old
Trey is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Trey
Default 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

i want to be built so i stick to intense now
i used to run 6-8miles a day and it did a # on my legs

6'0
184lbs
(#5)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Depends for me. On off days I prefer shorter more high intensity cardio. If I am working out that day I will usually just do low intensity(about 3.2 mph or so) on the treadmill after my workout. I do feel both are useful though depending on how you classify long duration. I would not go over an hour, after that I think it would be better to be split up into two cardio sessions. Maybe one in the morning and the other post workout.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#6)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

You can call it cardio or you can call it conditioning but I favor a high impact, high intensity workout. You have to listen to your body and pounding on an injury will only cause problems, however, in time I feel your body can learn to absorb the training. Sprints, box jumps, jumping rope, bag work, and just good old running help me stay in shape. I rarely run more than 5 K and more often, I'll run a very steep hill course that's about a mile long. I follow it up with jumping jacks, squat thrusts, or rope jumping. I realize everybody is different but with my 48th birthday coming up next week, I'm still able to do this without pain in the joints. At times, I'll get a sore knee or even a hip, which is usually caused by a kicking drill in karate, when I snap my leg out and miss my target. I know guys in their 60's that can bring their knee up and touch their shoulder, jump 24 in. vertical with no problem. Did anybody see a 59 y.o. Bruce Springsteen in the Superbowl half-time show? In my opinion, he looks fit and not skinny. IMO, continuous long distance running can really tear down your muscles but if your body can stand it then intense high impact aerobics can make you a more formidable competitor in sports. IMO, body builders need to be more careful so they don't tear down the muscle they work so hard to show. Most atheletes need to train harder and longer than the events they're going to compete in so that they can give 100%, and every now and then rise to the occasion and put out a little bit more.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Troy1982 is a jewel in the rough

Default 02-03-2009, 11:44 AM

I do a lot more intense cardio when cutting like HITT and running distances for time. When I'm bulking I generally do a lot lower intensity cardio. I will generally do walking at an incline on the treadmill and I'll do some eliptical.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.
(#8)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Maybe an interesting read on cardio and it's effects on the size of you heart:

http://www.alsearsmd.com/signup/pace-google1/

Nice article, Rick. I'm sure it's trying to sell something, but it identifies the importances of varying intensities.

neither is bad, and neither is better. Long duration cardio is good for building and reinforcing your aerobic base, as well as making your body more efficient at various levels of demand.

High intensity cardio, such as interval or repetition training, is important for increasing you anaerobic threshold and strengthening your heart. Plus, the effects of Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) result in the continual burning of calories after your workout is done.

Regardless of your goals, I feel that both forms of training are important. If you train in "Zones" when you do your long-duration cardio, you can throw in the occasional high-intensity, gut-busting intervals that leave you begging for oxygen, and that's just as good as including an interval day during your workout schedule.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!