IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Sports Training, MMA & Boxing
Reload this Page Opinions?
Sports Training, MMA & Boxing This section includes discussions on how you train for your sport of choice and also any form of hand to hand combat, everything from kickboxing, karate, martial arts, grappling, ultimate and no holds barred contact.

Opinions?
(#1)
Old
ewizz is on a distinguished road

Default Opinions? - 12-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Ok ive been working on getting my max bench up im a sophmore and highschool and i am tring to play varsity next year have been taking two scoopes of whey protein and creatine after ever workout and my body has started looking better but m bench has unchanged this is my schedule

Monday - Bench heavy then arms and chest
Tuesday - Bench light then legs
Wednesday - Bench heavy then arms and chest
Thursday - Bench light then legs
Friday - Bench heavy then arms and chest
Saturday - Cardio
Sunday - Rest

Is there anything im doing wrong? i know this might not be like a football oriented site but can you guys help me out? Also oneof my friends started taking Amin acids would it be bad to take Amino acids creatine and protein?
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM

BCAA's after workouts are gooooood. So is creatine/protein. I'm pretty sure theres at least a dozen protein/weight gainer powders out there that have all of these in one mix.

Less benching. Twice a week tops. Heavy day and a high volume day. Also, less arms. Also, your bench wont go up without building your shoulders and back.

You're doing too much, plain and simple. Shoot for a split more like this

Monday: Chest (heavy on flat bench, volume on flies and incline db bench) light cardio
Tuesday: arms
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: shoulders (include high volume inclines, will double as a chest/delt workout)
Friday: cardio
Saturday: back
Sunday: rest

Eat your ass off, and start going to bed early. More sleep=more growing, shoot for that 8 hours.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Another thing you should look into, doing pyramid sets, great for building some strength (thx mek).

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#4)
Old
thedunhill225 is on a distinguished road

Default 12-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Ok.... That is a horrible football program. Posterior chain, legs and delts should be your focus and you seem to care about chest and arms which will NOT improve in size or strength with that program. To keep it simple
Monday do back with pullups and deadlifts. 5 sets of as many reps as you can do of pullups and 5 sets of 5 of deads

Wed do presses. Bench if you must but inclines will help more then do military presses each for 5 sets of 5 of either benches or inclines (no bounce, slow down and do full reps with perfect form) and 5 sets of 5 with military presses.

Friday do legs. Squats... Ass to calfs. Yup....5 sets of 5 then finish with a set of 20.

Always strive to use more wt with perfect form...PERFECT FORM.

I hope ya listen but I doubt you will.

Peace
(#5)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Want to get a higher bench? squat.
(#6)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Welcome btw.
Is your school having you train like that? Ware are the power cleans, jump squats, and other speed/power movements?
(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 12-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Yeah that's a crazy program/layout imo!!!! You aren't allowing yourself any recovery time during the week. You don't grow while you are working out...you grow after a good tear down with rest and diet. At the very least, throw a day in between before repeating a body part.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#8)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Welcome bro! Please listen to the advise given here, That program that you laid out is suicide for your strength.

Remember this, Gains are made OUTSIDE the gym. So if your looking to build strength get in, break the muscle down, and allow AT LEAST 48 HOURS to recover. Never work the same muscle daily. It will never grow or get stronger. In fact, it will the the complete opposite.

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunhill225 View Post

Really? No need to be a DB.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#10)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha16859 View Post

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#11)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
j1r!!! will become famous soon enough

Default 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your goals!

Do work!
(#12)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha16859 View Post
I wouldnt call it bein a DB. We were all teenagers once. I dare one person on this forum to honestly say they listened to all the good advice they were given as a teenager. You heard it, but you sure as hell never understood it.

(#13)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM

less is definitly a good idea also dropesets,pyramids,chain/bands sets.alot of good advice on here.

Controlled labs supps.
(#14)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 12-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#15)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 12-23-2011, 12:55 PM

All good advice. one of the common things here is less benching. For what your goals are I would only do one body part a week.
this was excellent advice for your age. You are not a bodybuilder doing bodybuilding things. You are trying to play football. you need movements that will focus on compound joints, speed,power, and quickness.

Benching and arms are for the beach that will come one day.

Like quija said also eat your butt off. Good clean meals but lots of protein and complex carbs

Your focus lifts in the gym should be:
squats
Deadlifts
Power cleans
Incline presses or Bench Pressing

stick with barbell stuff for now. You are growing and want to have your stabilizer muscles stronger first and have your joints stronger.

Quote:
thedunhill225 Ok.... That is a horrible football program. Posterior chain, legs and delts should be your focus and you seem to care about chest and arms which will NOT improve in size or strength with that program. To keep it simple
Monday do back with pullups and deadlifts. 5 sets of as many reps as you can do of pullups and 5 sets of 5 of deads

Wed do presses. Bench if you must but inclines will help more then do military presses each for 5 sets of 5 of either benches or inclines (no bounce, slow down and do full reps with perfect form) and 5 sets of 5 with military presses.

Friday do legs. Squats... Ass to calfs. Yup....5 sets of 5 then finish with a set of 20.

Always strive to use more wt with perfect form...PERFECT FORM.

Peace
Excellent reply here.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#16)
Old
teenbodybuilder0102 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to teenbodybuilder0102
Default 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM

My friend who plays D1 football just wrote an article for another friends fitness website...This is the workout plan the University of Utah football coach's have him doing! Hope this helps your training.

D1 Football: Can you hang? (Workout)
Posted on July 27, 2012
So you think you work out? Yeah, I thought I did too, but 5 months ago I learned that what I thought was working out really wasn’t even close. My name is Dalton Livingston. I’m 22 years old and recently moved to Salt Lake City to play quarterback at the University of Utah. Danny asked me to do a guest post for him, so here it is.

Before I joined the football team here at the U (what we call the University of Utah for short), I was like the majority of people with a gym membership. I would go 4-6 times per week, doing the same workouts, skipping reps, and shying away from the muscle groups that I hated to work on the most (I hate to admit it, but legs aren’t really my thing). My routine wasn’t very promising of results, and it felt like ages before I came to see any improvements in muscle gain and tone. As expected, this all changed as soon as I got to the U and was thrown into intense workouts with crazy weight coaches (I hope none of them read that).
Let’s get down to business. I’m going to give you 4 workouts I’ve learned from being with a D1 football program that will kick your ass (you really have to push yourself though). Using these workouts, I’ve put on 20 pounds in the past 5 months, incase you were skeptical about their validity. These workouts will be mainly weights, but I’ll include some conditioning too. I’m going to schedule this workout for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (that’s the schedule we follow here at the U). Again, you MUST push yourself past your comfort zone or you will not see improvements. Let’s get started.
Monday
Conditioning: Find a stadium (any stadium will do). Use a marker (cones work best, but you can even use something like a jacket) and mark off points at 10 rows up and 20 rows up. Read carefully, because this can get a bit confusing. You have 6 sets. One set counts as 2 trips up at 10 rows and 2 trips up at 20 rows (so 4 trips up in total equals one set). When going up, hit each step. Give yourself about 30 seconds rest from the time you get to the marker. This is all running by the way, don’t walk.
Give yourself at least 2-3 hours before hitting the weights
Weights:
Barbell shrugs (heavy): 6◊3 (6 sets, 3 reps)
Full range squats: Warm up set (5 reps, light weight)
4◊5 80% of max
Box step ups (holding dumbbells): 4◊12 (each leg)
Super-set:
Pullups (wide grip/palms out) 4◊8
Dips 4◊12
Abs (weighted if possible): 5◊10

Tuesday
Weights:
Push-press: Warm up set (5 reps, light weight)
6◊2 (heavy)
Bench press: Warm up set (5 reps, light weight)
4◊5 80% of max
Upright row: 4◊12
EZ bar curls: 4◊12
Incline dumbbell press: 4◊8
Wednesday
OFF

Thursday
Conditioning: Find a football field. 12 half-gasers (half-gaser: sideline to sideline and back) Under 18 seconds. 30 second rest.
Weights:
Box Squats (using plyo box): Warm up set (5 reps, light weight)
6◊3 70% of max
Barbell shrugs: 5◊4 (heavy)
Lunges (in place/holding dumbbells): 4◊12 (each leg)
Super-set:
Pull-ups (palms in) 4◊8
Tricep extension (push down) 4◊15
One-Arm Row: 4◊8 (each arm)
Friday
Weights:
Bench Press: 4◊5 80%
Super-set:
Dumbbell shoulder flys 4◊10
Barbell front shoulder raises 4◊8
Super-set:
Split squat (lunge position, then squat) 4◊8 (each leg)
Box step-ups 4◊12 (each leg)
Military Press: 4◊8
Well, there ya go. Hopefully this is as beneficial to you as it has been to me. As always, Go Utes!

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
- henry rollins