IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Bodybuilding Supplements
Reload this Page Heavy cream/half&half with Protein
Bodybuilding Supplements Find out which bodybuilding supplements work and what their effects are on performance!

Heavy cream/half&half with Protein
(#1)
Old
OdinSon is on a distinguished road

Question Heavy cream/half&half with Protein - 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM

Has anyone used half&half or heavy whipping cream with their protein shake? I had an older (old school) lifter tell me that's the best way to drink protein powders. His theory is that Protein needs fat to be utilized best by muscle. His example was that protein is always found with fats in nature. He then referenced the teachings of Vince Gironda. Anyone have any thoughts or info on this subject?

For example: he said if your Protein shake takes 10oz of water,juice,milk etc. substitute 5oz of whatever liquid with half&half or cream.

I'm sore, but i'll go to the gym. I'm not hungry, but I'll eat.
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Without looking up the Vince Gironda train of thought....I would think the old school lifter is either fat OR maybe on a paleo or keto type of diet. If one of these type of diets, then yes, fat can be good. If not, carbohydrates are protein sparing. Meaning that they will insure that the protein goes to where you want (muscle repair and building) rather than for fuel. My 2 cents.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM

I think this is one of those things that will always endure ongoing debate. Anything diet related depends on so many different variables it's hard to say by doing X you will get Y result every time. Daily macros, timing, sleep patterns, stress, hormone levels, exercise type will all play into things like this.

If you're like me and have a hard time getting in a decent amount of fat, might not be a bad way to hit your macros and/or get a few extra calories in.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 02-06-2014, 03:19 PM

If you like coffee at all and want to add fat to your diet....try this "Bulletpoof" coffee (taught to me by a friend on keto):

8-12 oz hot coffee
1 tsp of UNSALTED butter
1 tbs of Coconut Oil

Mix in a blender....drink! Damn it's good! I have a few every week. And it doesn't make me fat.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#5)
Old
OdinSon is on a distinguished road

Default 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Thanks guys for the post reply. Yea the guy that gave me this info is an older gentlemen, if I had to guess late 50's to early 60's (I dont want to ask) hes not fat at all and moves around the gym like he's 30. I going to do another post about my diet to get some feedback from more experienced people soon, Thanks.

I'm sore, but i'll go to the gym. I'm not hungry, but I'll eat.
(#6)
Old
Greg B. is on a distinguished road

Default 03-27-2014, 04:19 AM

I not yet added half n half to my protein shakes, though I would def try it when I'm in need of some extra calories. But I have added half n half to my egg/eggwhite mixture for breakfast to make it creamier.

All American EFX Rep

Main Website: www.aaefx.com
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/allamericanefx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @allamericanefx
Instagram: @aaefx

Favorite AAEFX Supplements: Karbolyn, K-OTIC, Kre-Alklyn, and NF-Pro Whey Protein.

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
All American EFX and they are my own*
(#7)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 03-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
1 tsp of UNSALTED butter
Emphasis on the 'UNSALTED'. I made one once with salted butter, and it tasted horrendous.

It certainly gives you a rush though, especially if you take it with a strong B complex, and some extra Thiamine for good measure.
(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 03-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra_training_zy View Post
Emphasis on the 'UNSALTED'. I made one once with salted butter, and it tasted horrendous.

It certainly gives you a rush though, especially if you take it with a strong B complex, and some extra Thiamine for good measure.
Yeah I can only imagine! Salt and coffee doesn't sound good together. lol