IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Over Age 35 Bodybuilders
Reload this Page Weight Belt
Over Age 35 Bodybuilders A forum for those over the age of 35.

Weight Belt
(#1)
Old
naug44 has a spectacular aura about

Default Weight Belt - 07-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Hey folks,
Do any of you wear a weight belt? I wear one due to a few herniated discs I have in my lower back. I am just curious because a lot of the mags I read, I do not see many people wearing them. Just wondering
(#2)
Old
IPYU PHOTOSHOP DESIGNER
LittleGuy has a spectacular aura about

Default 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naug44 View Post
Hey folks,
Do any of you wear a weight belt? I wear one due to a few herniated discs I have in my lower back. I am just curious because a lot of the mags I read, I do not see many people wearing them. Just wondering
I use one.

(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM

I use one always have. Any time you do weight bearing lifts you should use one. There has been several studies done on this. It is bull malarcky what they say about your core muscles get underdeveloped if you use a belt. Anything weight bearing should require a good belt.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM

I suppose you mean an article like this Mac:
http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/f...spx?itemid=101
(#5)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by RoaringMadMac

How many of you use a lifting belt. Used to a long time ago almost everyone used a belt when lifting. Many bodybuilders today do not use lifting belts. A recent study found that 27% of gym goers use a belt.

Perhaps this is due to the common advice that personal trainers and other spout regarding lifting belts: You should'nt wear oneit can cause you to develop a weaker core.

However,no research supports these claims. In fact, a multitude of studies have been done on lifting belts, and almost all conclude that they offer some benefit.

A study that looked at abdominal activty during deadlifts performed with a lifting belt decreased oblique muscle activity, it increased the activity of the abdominals. Another probe reported that the use of a lifting belt during squats increased the activity of the spinal erectors by 23%.

These studiessuggest that a lifting belt does not likely compromise core strength development.

Investigations have also found that lifting belts increase the interabdominal pressure in the body. This helps to better stablize the spine and reduce compression of the intervertebral discs, as confirmed by studies that looked into this directly

One research effort found that compression of the intervertebral discs following a weight workout was reduced by 50% when subjects used a lifting belt. This means that a belt can help better support the spine, which not only helps reduce the risk of injury but also equates to greater strength when lifting. In fact, on study found that wnen lifters performed a squat with a belt on, they had greater muscle activity of the quads nad hamstrings. Another found that when subjects squatted while wearing a lifting belt, they were able to perform reps faster throughout the positive portion of the lift, which means increased power.

Considering all of the benefits of wearing a belt you may want to find yours and dust it off. Using your belt wisely can help protect your back,increase strength and power and possibly help you add more muscle mass. The key is knowing when to use you lifting belt.

Don't use a belt on seated or lying exercises.or for warm up sets. Use your belt for exercises that load the spine such as squats and deadlifts, and exercises where you must bend at the waist.

From Flex Magazine From Lab to gym Belt it out.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#6)
Old
ashley willcox has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to ashley willcox
Default 07-27-2007, 04:55 PM

i use a belt for deadlifts and squats

2010 is my year
we are what we pratice
prime
week one
week two
blast
week one
week two
(#7)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 07-28-2007, 01:16 PM

intra-abdominal pressure is essential to maintaining an erect spine during a lift, and this is done either through correct breathing technique or a combination of correct breathing and a weight belt. (I'll look into it more. The only place i found to cite this from was an ACSM article on the Squat: http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...tentFileID=317. It opens as a PDF so make sure you have Adobe Acrobat if you want to read it. The article is more focused on how the study of the squat has evolved and defends it as a very safe and important exercise, with only a small blurb about intra-abdominal pressure)

I personally don't ever use a weight belt, but I also don't ever do less than 7 reps. If I go lower and train for strength, I likely will use a belt. I wouldn't say that there is no evidence against the use of a belt, but it's a controversial topic as far as research goes. I'm from the camp that sees a belt being important for strength and power training, but not hypertrophy or endurance. I see it as a crutch unless your lifting heavy.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#8)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM

The Loaf, wouln't you agree that to cause hypertrophy in the muscle you would have to go heavy at least in the range of 8 to 10 reps. Tax the muscle enough with heavy weight and you will break it down. With that said. Using heavy enough weight bears a serious injury if not protected correctly. I commend guys who do not wear belts but on the other hand I feel that they are doing themselves a misfortune by putting that much stress on the abdominal wall and pressure from straining. In comes a belt to press against and in a sense keep things in. The abdominal wall has something to press against and keep it secure. Same thing with knee wraps. I have seen multitude of lifters throughout the years squat heavy without straps and belts and the one common demoninator is they always end up having bad backs and knees. Even with the most strict form not having that belt and the straps will leave something open to injury. Especially with a belt.

I will say this however, One can become to dependant on a belt and wear it all the time. These people come in two types the one feeling more secure about it because they don't have a strong back and abdominal region. Which in that case they need to do alternative work to strengthen those areas up.

The second type of person just freakin wears one because A. some numb skull told them to wear one all of the time and B. They think wearing one looks cool and makes them look like they can push some weight around.

belts wraps and straps are merely tools in the gym to keep from having a major injury.Learning to use them correctly comes from the beginning. I would suggest learning the proper form on a said lift before trying the heavy stuff for those wanting to push more weight.

(#9)
Old
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM

i agree that the high volume of hypertrophy will tax the muscle a great deal and break it down (as is the goal of hypertrophy), but i think first we all need to agree on what "heavy" is. it's a relative term and i think gets used too freely.

for example, a beginning lifter might be lucky to put a plate a side on the bar for 2 sets of 10 squats. some guys we know on this forum can do the same number of reps with 4 plates. However, both guys are still doing 10 reps. One is using heavier weights than the other, but i don't see the 4-plate guy doing something considered "heavy" by his standards. When he goes down to 6, 5, 3, or less reps, then he is going heavy. In that case, I feel he should be wearing a belt.

however, I would also prefer to err on the side of caution. If someone feels safer using a belt -- or even simply wearing it on the last set or two -- I won't fault them. On that note, I personally feel that the belt becomes a cruch, and as a person makes gains wearing it in an 8 - 10 range, they are doing themselves a diservice.

And, as for the second type of person you mentioned, Mac, some of those guys think that the belt will correct their form for them, and in that case, it won't prevent injury.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the burgers....
(#10)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM

I totally agree with that. I think some standards of lifting and philosophies are getting lost in translation.

I think were it all begins is the starting lifter. That lifter has to understand several things.

Correct form from the begining. Meaning that even without the use of training aids like belts straps and wraps you need to know the proper form and the body will compesate with growing muscle and strength.

The second thing comes from experience in lifting and this is the intensity factor. Most lifters with any type of experience will know in a general area on how heavy they can go and still really tax the muscle.

Lastly to reinforce what you have said. I will give an example to what I do.

Lets say I am doing 3 working sets. Do not mind the weight here just the standard to what I am doing the set.

First I am going to pyramid the weight from set to set.

My second set is going to be heavier than the first as is the third. The way I like to do it is this. I know I am going heavier the last set. I will then do my damndiest to get 8 reps I know that if I am getting 12 it is to light so I set my goal for 8. If I get the eight I know next time around I can only go up in weight or stay the same and squeeze out a couple more reps. I will aft for the first part in going up in weight even if it is just 10 pounds I know there is more poundage and that I am really working the muscle. This is the way I look at it.

Keeping in mind that Heavy is relative also means that using good form and a little common sense you can still stay safe and not have to think that using a belt is considered a crutch. For those that do use it as a crutch 9 times out of 10 they use horrible form on all lifts to begin with.

(#11)
Old

Default 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM

i couldn't agree with you more. excellent points

I got the burgers....
(#12)
Old
Luke Whippo is on a distinguished road

Default 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM

I never wear a belt myself, and I train low reps most of the time (last 5years).

though I agree belts can be used and one can STILL gain a strong core (of course) I still believe everything should be balanced for a reason, yes you can still hurt yourself lifting big numbers belt or no belt, but this is where training comes into play, you CAN make yourself into a piece of steel that will able one to go low reps beltless (it takes outside the "box" thinking though) (going against what popular).

IMO (just an opinion) I'd never ever play around with weight I'd FEEL I'd need to wrap my mid-section tight to lift, espically if I'm feeling pain, when you feel pain your body is saying "listen to me" "don't hide me and put MORE strain on me" (this still happens with belts guys, your venturing in dangerous waters)

this may not be the attitute one wants to hear, and may not be the way to be a champion (well the jury is still out on that one?) but IMO I want to still hit bigger numbers and train heavy until my last days, and balence will always be key.
(#13)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Balance is one thing. Those that wrap up because they are feeling pain should not be lifting at all.

I don't think my point is being understood by some here.

The research is out there. I only believe wrapping and wearing a belt should be used to prevent injuries. They do not help in the lift itself. Those that think they do, do not understand how the muscle works.

In Power movements for example you use joints and your hips for a lot of the power you produce. Minimum force is used in the actual muscle. Compound movements are important for joints as well, but working the muscle is ultimately what we are looking for. One big debate is the differance in doing ass to calf squats and staying above parellel. It all depends on what you want to target. Full squats hit an aweful lot in the buttocks outer quads and hamstrings. You don't get a lot in the front quads. Of course this is straying away from the orginal subject,but it does have to do with heavy weight.

You can stay safe with what you are comfortable with and I honesty think and have seen over the years that being comfortable DOES NOT WORK THE MUSCLE. You can tell me all day long. I don't need a belt but if you were to go a little heavier than you are not used your core not being supported would take on to much strain. I am not pointing out the previous poster with this remark either. I was waiting for this to come up.

It all comes down to personal opinion. With that said and this is to the last poster. Wearing a belt is not a thing of what is popular. For some reason it has been around long before us and it seems to have had a lot of impact on lifting. I have read a couple of your post and see you are a fan of olympic lifting. Believe me they use belts wraps in that side of lifting as well.

I am not meaning to argue are trying to rebute what you are saying either. I understand your point and respect that but that is a personal opinion. That is what makes you comfortable in your lifting. I say stick with it. I have felt safer over the years wearing a belt and wrapping my knees when I have had 600 plus pounds on my back and squating past parellel. I have been doing this for over 20 years and I have not had a knee problem yet (knock on wood)and I attribute that to protecting my knees. I have seen guys lifing extremely heavy weight without wraps and belts and guess what I have seen them getting injured. I know you are saying they probably should not have gone that heavy if they were not strong enough with it. Thing is most of the time it was not the weight they could not do it was lack of protection.

This debate could go on and on but I will stop it here.

(#14)
Old

Default 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
I only believe wrapping and wearing a belt should be used to prevent injuries. They do not help in the lift itself.

It all comes down to personal opinion. With that said and this is to the last poster. Wearing a belt is not a thing of what is popular.

Thing is most of the time it was not the weight they could not do it was lack of protection.

excuse my elementry computer knowlage (smile)

my one point of the post was to just say one CAN also train these areas to prevent injuries to lift without belts (wraps,belts aren't the only solution) (for the first sentance).

(second sentance)
the training I was talking about is not very popular in modern times, I truely believe you can work the core by just squatting and deadlifting, but then there comes a time when you may need other movements (not very popular in modern times) (although they are on a comeback now, but still most will throw them out cause it will not add ounces of size and pounds to lifts very fast).

(third) again belts aren't the ONLY way.

i did state that one can get hurt with or without, (I forgot to quote this)-
"if one is feeling pain they shouldn't lift at all", I'm not sure I agree?
I agree that (and I stated it) if someone has pain to never put a belt so they CAN lift.
I'm someone who believes in active recovery, if there is pain, then thats the time to heal it, get stronger, learn, this may require strength training, but that all depends on the injury or severness of the pain.

not really trying to debate much, it's mostly relative and opinion, I don't wear one, and I lift low-reps and train heavy most times (just got done a my 8th strongman comp. aug.4th in 4-years),(never wore one) and thats it (answering OP. question)
(#15)
Old

Default 08-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Whippo View Post
(just got done a my 8th strongman comp. aug.4th in 4-years),(never wore one) and thats it (answering OP. question)

sorry, this was my 10th contest in the last 4.5years, my last two the weights used for us little 200lbers were farmers walk 300an arm, waddle walks 350, super-yoke 710 (which I've finished beltless) (done 750 in training), lightest stone 265 (which I have no problems lifting, but height is killer),750lb tire flips (easy for me) (my first time with a 680 took me 30sec to get 2-flips, 4.5years ago) 230lb log presses (which I can barley clean on a 12"log) (but I gave it my all?) without too much risks.

I barley placed, BUT, I was the only guy there in the 200's who knows what supporting well over 1,000lbs regualarly feels like (free-weight), and the only one not wearing a belt!

I've also been through some back problems around the time I started this stuff and years before that.
I had 1-bad back injury and that was cause I just pushed too hard, (5-weeks out from my first contest, and took 6-months to heal, I still did the contest though and placed dead last (I carried 210an arm farmers that day though still!)
(#16)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM

Okay, I think It would probably be a good thing to tell everyone what type of lifting you do. In my opinion the type strongman competitions you are competing in the training scheme is different that traditional bodybuilding. I am not knocking that at all. I trained like that for awhile as well.

I see where you are coming from. Maybe it would have been understood a little better knowing your background.

I have seen some of your placing in competitions and now no the way you train. Most of the stuff you is pure real world strength. stuff. Correct me if I am wrong here.

I will comment on something in your training log but not here.

What you have been competing in is very admirable and you have seemed to place well. Some of our training philosophies may not be the same but this sport is not a team effort to begin with. LOL.

Put something up in our bio section for everyone to see.

(#17)
Old

Default 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

there is a reason I didn't want to get into much bio. stuff, I really don't want to be labeled like "strongman style" training ect. my first years I was big on that thinking, and on some other fitness boards, yeah they labled me, thats why I didn't mention it in my journal, but I was sure going to state any of training I did and comps. later on.

I honestly am not really training much for these comps. anymore like I have but my main interest in training to be able to do them (not win) but do them and do them without injuries (I held back on the last 2-farmers walks 300an arm) I lifted them (below the knees) I carried them, but I did not listen to them yells of incouragement to "get back on it" I waited till I was near the limit time and went for another tug, at which point I was NOT going to play with my body like that, I'm healthy, thats means I can train still to get stronger, I'll be back nexttime, (can't say the same for the guys who really carelessly risk it).

this type of training is exacty what I meant by "thinking outside the box" I was a wannabe bodybuilder years ago, this stuff has been the best training I could have done for myself as a bodybuilder, I'm now doing allittle of it all, only I have no desire to take pics of myself half-naked, or stand on a stage shaven and oiled and being in unhealthy conditions of low-body fat, that is the only differance I see in the two ways of sport.
BELT USE
(#18)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default BELT USE - 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM

I HAVE ALWAYS USED A BELT. I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL GUYS INJURE THEMSELVES BY NOT USING A BELT TO SUPPORT THEIR ABDOMINAL AREA AND OR LOWER BACK. I LIKE THE EXTRA SUPPORT. I RECENTLY BOUGHT A NEW BELT. GUYS THEY'RE ONLY $15.00. A DOCTOR CHARGES QUITE A BIT MORE THAN THAT JUST TO LOOK AT YOU. IT'S A NOBRAINER TO ME.
(#19)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM

agreed, but I think with the debate we had on here especially from what "The Loaf" has said. I can see where if your not training your core correctly then wearing a belt is kind of a crutch. Now, that is not to say your core will be getting stronger but the core and inner abdominal walls need to be trained so the lower back becomes stronger as well. This helps when the pressure of doing squats or deadlifts occur.

(#20)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM

Well, I understand that there is alot of debate pro and con about the belt. I prefer to have one even if it is a mind thing. I know my body and my body prefers to have the additional support.
Usually the only time I will use my belt is when I'm going into lifting weight. I should have said that in the beginning.

Last edited by PAPAW; 09-27-2010 at 08:16 AM.