IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Over Age 35 Bodybuilders
Reload this Page New (sort of) to the Forum
Over Age 35 Bodybuilders A forum for those over the age of 35.

New (sort of) to the Forum
(#1)
Old
ChrisO is on a distinguished road

Default New (sort of) to the Forum - 07-15-2011, 01:01 PM

I joined a little while ago, but I'm just starting with the whole posting thing...my workout partner is FearnonebutOne and he posts our workout logs so we're pretty easy to keep track of. My biggest question is this:
I took several years away from lifting/training for various reasons, but since I have started back my muscles seems to take much longer to recover. Is this simply an age thing or is it coupled with the time away? I'll be 44 in a few days, and carry a higher body at percentage than I'd care to admit. I'm monitoring my diet and have been back in the gym for about 8 weeks now. Any help or suggestions from you other "old guys" will be greatly appreciated!
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Welcome Chris! IMO, these things here are all things that can affect it. Age (testosterone levels), sleep, diet, and the fact that I think your body gets accustomed to the tear down/rebuild process somewhat. Also there are supplements that can help you. Vitamins, protein supplement, and BCAA's. My BCAA source of choice is SciVation Xtend. It can help, but it still doesn't make you recover like a 20 yr old

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old

Default 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks Rick...I've never tried any of the BCAA's or really done any research on them, but I'll check into them. I'm currently taking OxyElitePro and I'm down about 12lbs, not sure of the inches,FNBO & I are doing our 6 week measurements on Monday the 18th. I've just ordered SCORCH & VAPORIZE by MAN to see how they do. Gonna try one of the estrogen blockers/ test boosters and will def look into the BCAA's
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Sounds good Chris! Keep us posted. We'll be nice to you despite being a friend of FNBO.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#5)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 07-15-2011, 05:23 PM

If your just starting out, and lifting extreme like Fearnone, it's going to take a bit for your body to get accustomed to the recovery process. Some things that would help(in order of importance IMO): diet, sleep, protien, creatine, bcaa's

How many days a week are you lifting?
(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Im watching you RICK....lmao
OTK, we work out together and he stays step for step all the way through..He also failed to mention that he is a big ol boy (not a fat ass) 6-04 261...and is strong like bull. I think we both are kinda in the same dilema.. we would like to start a stack of some sort but do to the lack of supps out there (sarcastic statement) we are not sure of which ones to take and or take together.. BUT his biggest problem is that he is just OLD..lol

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
bb12 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to bb12
Default 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM

welcome

All American EFX Rep

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-16-2011, 02:40 AM

Watch the old jokes there, FNBO...and thanks rick for welcoming me in spite of him, lol. Mostly need to get rid of the fody bat, trying different sups for that, the BCAA's are looking interesting.

Also, onetiredkris, creatine KILLS my system Tried it about 4 years ago and my system just doesn't do well with it.
(#9)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
Mostly need to get rid of the fody bat.....
fody bat! LOL! I think this will stick with me!!!

Quote:
Also, onetiredkris, creatine KILLS my system Tried it about 4 years ago and my system just doesn't do well with it.
What kind was it Chris, do you remember? There are many different kinds and we could try you on something different than what you tried.

(#10)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Yeah it happens to people. My previous partner couldn't take NO or creatine supps without ending up in the bathroom for 2 hours.
(#11)
Old

Default 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM

The whole fody bat thing came from FNBO when we were having a serious discussion about cutting weight...it just kinda came out when he was talking about cardio & has stuck with us! I can't even say it the other way now...lol

As far as the creatine goes, I'm sure that back then I probably just picked up something from GNC...I know, I know, not smart - live and learn. The NO is fine, I've used Sumperpump250 and NO explode in the past with good results, however, both products' effectiveness seemed to fade over time. I had to use more in order to get the same result. That's the reason behind the brand switch.

Last edited by ChrisO; 07-16-2011 at 09:54 AM.
(#12)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 07-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The whole fody bat thing came from FNBO when we were having a serious discussion about cutting weight...it just kinda came out when he was talking about cardio & has stuck with us! I can't even say it the other way now...lol

As far as the creatine goes, I'm sure that back then I probably just picked up something from GNC...I know, I know, not smart - live and learn. The NO is fine, I've used Sumperpump250 and NO explode in the past with good results, however, both products' effectiveness seemed to fade over time. I had to use more in order to get the same result. That's the reason behind the brand switch.
May I suggest Green Magnitude? I'm loving this stuff! I've been off of creatine for quite a while except what little is in preworkout supps that I use. Green Magnitude is treating me right! Mixes easy and taste pretty good too! Nuttin' but thumbs up from me on this one!

(#13)
Old

Default 07-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks Rick, I'll try it out on my next order (in about 2 weeks), I read up on it & it sounds worth trying. Also, I saw that you use the SciVation for recovery...how is that working? I am going to order a BCAA next time also and don't have a lot of reliable info to go on.
(#14)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 07-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rick, I'll try it out on my next order (in about 2 weeks), I read up on it & it sounds worth trying. Also, I saw that you use the SciVation for recovery...how is that working? I am going to order a BCAA next time also and don't have a lot of reliable info to go on.
I've been using SciVation Xtend for a good while and like it. Someone who is VERY credible to me recommended it and I've kept it on hand ever since (going about 1.5-2 yrs)

(#15)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM

FODY BAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#16)
Old

Default 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Makes me laugh every time I hear it
(#17)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM

Welcome ChrisO

I think you might like some BCAA. Think of them like electrolytes, they get used up during exercise so adding them in does aid in recovery. IMO
Body fat is going to take diet diet diet.
The right food
the right time
the right amount
Oh yeah it's a 24-7 job.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.

Last edited by kickboy; 07-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.
(#18)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Gerbilo is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to Gerbilo
Default 07-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Welcome aboard! Seems like these guys have ya pointed in the right direction.

....Fody Bat.....
(#19)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
j1r!!! will become famous soon enough

Default 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Welcome to the IPYU Forum ChrisO!

Do work!