IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training and Diet Blogs
Reload this Page Ashim's Deadlifts and whatever-Hypertrophy-I-can-get-away-with journal
Training and Diet Blogs Post your journal to help you keep track of your progress and goals. Receive support, suggestions, and guidance from other members.

Ashim's Deadlifts and whatever-Hypertrophy-I-can-get-away-with journal
(#1)
Old
Ashim Matthan is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Ashim's Deadlifts and whatever-Hypertrophy-I-can-get-away-with journal - 02-25-2015, 05:44 AM

Hi everyone,

I have read the sticky and I want to begin by saying that I welcome all participation in my journal so do not hesitate to comment.

I want to make this introduction very brief.

For those of you who do not know me, I love doing Deadlifts and I train this lift specifically to get stronger at it. I am also trying to get bigger.

As far as injuries go, I tore some lower back tissue in 2013 that put me out of lifting heavy for a whole year. It's a reminder to me to not foam roll my lower back ever. I also have dislocatable shoulder joints (it's a genetic defect) and these dislocations are super painful so I'm more inclined to doing OHP vs. BP.

I'll get started with the workouts...

My YOUTUBE Channel: Click HERE
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Welcome to IPYU! Our forum has kind of died down compared to how it used to be. But I'll be following along! Tear it up!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old

Default 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Welcome to IPYU! Our forum has kind of died down compared to how it used to be. But I'll be following along! Tear it up!

Thanks a lot, brother! Sorry I haven't posted in a few days: work's been killing me. Anyway, I'm going to share last night's workout.

(#4)
Old

Default 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM

Deadlifts Volume Week Greasing the Groove

Video:

There are a couple of things I want to discuss and I've gone over these points in the audio commentary of this video as well. I'll begin by discussing the actual workout. I am happy to say that the workout went well despite the hiccup of 205 kgs / 451 being broken up into a cluster set versus a straight set of 6 reps. I have no lower back pain - which is not to say that my injury has healed. It has not; but it hasn't surfaced either so that's cause to celebrate. Additionally, I am not very confident of these weights and I discussed this feeling I've been having with Eric and it's truly amazing to have a coach like him. Eric told me - and what he's said is a repeat of what I have already gone through in the past but it's hard to remember these things when you're in panic mode: it won't get better overnight. It's going to take time to get my groove back on Deadlifts. So I just have to plug away at it till it begins to take good shape.

Lastly, I want to talk about labels - which is another topic I discussed with Eric. In the past, I have tried to place my training and my goals into a group or under a label. I've described myself as a deadlift-only guy, a maximal strength trainee, etc. But I realize that these labels limit me. I had intended to use them in order to convey my goals to people but instead they are placing me within a boundary and Lift BIG is all about breaking free. So here's the deal: I do LOVE to deadlift, it is the only lift I train to get as strong as possible. I want to get big but I am not looking to get on stage in a speedo. I don't do squats heavy simply because I don't want to and because I love the pump/soreness associated with high rep squats. I have been asked about squats in the past so I'll go on to say that I have found high rep squats to help me feel "stable" on deadlifts. I stopped doing back squats in 2009 in favor of front squats. I have now switched back to back squats and ditched front squats for the time being.

My point in all this is: labels don't matter. Eric has a great article on the subject of labels and how they force you to do things you don't want to do just because you thought putting yourself in a certain category made you stand out more: http://www.gustrength.com/critical-t...fitness-labels

Incase anybody is interested in figuring out what I am doing with my deadlifts right now, here's the condensed explanation: I am running Eric Troy's Maintenance Mode Cycle for my deadlifts to maintain my maximal end strength while my back heals. My lower back was injured in late 2012 because I was practicing Krav Maga at the time and all the kicking made my lower back tight so to alleviate the pressure I foam rolled it without consulting Eric. After a few sessions my back felt great and nice and loose and then I tried to deadlift 455 and I tore some muscle tissue in my lower back and near my tail bone. It's taken a long time to heal and small things set the pain off again like coughing fits or sleeping incorrectly, etc. These injuries take a LONG time to heal so while I am healing I am doing whatever I can to at worst maintain my maximal end strength on the deadlift. This is what the 3 week rotation cycle looks like:

Week 1: 505 x 2 or 525 x 1 or some really heavy single or double(s)
Week 2: Volume work in the 450-480 range for 15-20 reps
Week 3: Heavy triples @ 480+

Deadlifts:
Volume Week
205.0 kgs / 451 x 3 + 3 = 6
207.5 kgs / 457 x 5
210.0 kgs / 462 x 4
212.5 kgs / 468 x 3
215.0 kgs / 473 x 2
217.5 kgs / 479 x 1
Volume = 21 reps

High Volume Leg Day
(#5)
Old

Default High Volume Leg Day - 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM

High Volume Leg Day

Video:

This is not maximal strength training. The only reason I am doing this high volume high rep stuff is to get some growth / hypertrophy and because it doesn't load up my lower back and strain it. That's it. This was fun and the idea for Squat Hell was taken from John Pinder of Iron Addicts forum where he posted an exercise tip for Tricep Hell wherein you take multiple bands of varying tension and blast the hell out of your triceps. I have adapted it (of sorts) for the Back Squat. Next week, when this workout repeats itself, I will be doing 1-3 BIG drop sets for the squat and I'll try to get 50 reps in total in one set itself. So perhaps I will go up to 125 kgs / 275 and keep dropping the weight till I get to 60 kgs / 132. This is just food for thought.

Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts:
20 kgs / 44 x 12 x 4
Volume = 48

Band Resisted Good Mornings:
40 kgs / 88 + #2 x 10 x 2
Volume = 20

Reverse Lunges:
40 kgs / 88 x 12
50 kgs / 110 x 10
60 kgs / 132 x 8
Volume = 30

Squat Hell:
Major Giant Set
Band Resisted
60 kgs / 132 + #3 x 12
60 kgs / 132 + #2 x 11
60 kgs / 132 + #1 x 12
100 kgs / 220 x 5
90 kgs / 198 x 5
80 kgs / 176 x 5
Volume = 50

(#6)
Old

Default 03-02-2015, 11:15 PM

I maintain a training log on Iron Addicts Forums and the owner, John Pinder, is a great guy who happens to check my log every few days and he offers some great suggestions. The band work you guys see me do for back: Band Lat Pulldowns, Band Seated Rows, Band Resisted Tricep Hell are all ideas he's given me. So today there's two new exercises I've been introduced to which I will incorporate tomorrow most likely.

After Speed Deadlifts tomorrow, I'll be torching my back with:

Chuck V. Rows: [ame]http://youtu.be/hgJAetXUxp0[/ame]

The second exercise is called Band Dips and I'm taking this from Mike96's log (thanks to John): [ame]http://youtu.be/3xNdTyiou2A[/ame]

Both these exercises have to be done for sets of 20 reps.

I'm excited!!!!

(#7)
Old

Default 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

I maintain a training log on Iron Addicts Forums and the owner, John Pinder, is a great guy who happens to check my log every few days and he offers some great suggestions. The band work you guys see me do for back: Band Lat Pulldowns, Band Seated Rows, Band Resisted Tricep Hell are all ideas he's given me. So today there's two new exercises I've been introduced to which I will incorporate tomorrow most likely.

After Speed Deadlifts tomorrow, I'll be torching my back with:

Chuck V. Rows: [ame]http://youtu.be/hgJAetXUxp0[/ame]

The second exercise is called Band Dips and I'm taking this from Mike96's log (thanks to John): [ame]http://youtu.be/3xNdTyiou2A[/ame]

Both these exercises have to be done for sets of 20 reps.

In addition to this, John Pinder also dropped some more exercises for me to go over. Here's the direct quote:

i noticed you mentioned your glutes so thought id share this. these movements came from a discussion in mikes log with scott

so i did these the other day for the first time and they fried my glutes. 5 sets of 10reps ea leg. today is day 2 afterwards and my glutes are very sore...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIi5bsSjdw4

i did these with 25lb dbs and my low back got insane pump 2 x 10ea leg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oiKWA-K6-g

followed it up with 5 x 5 front squats, full range of motion

and.... since you like trying new stuff. try these on one of your lower days.. i didnt film the previous set 405 x 10 but got this on. very effective for mid back training (at least thats where i feel them the most) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWcuPsFnhk great assistance work for dead lifts.

--x--

I'm excited!!!!

(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Good stuff man!!!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#9)
Old

Default 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks!

Back Training
(#10)
Old

Default Back Training - 03-03-2015, 06:29 PM

Back Training

Video:

This workout consisted largely of really heavy dumbbell rows and then lots of rep work with bands both for back and traps. The heavy rows were very challenging and progress was calculated, deliberate, conservative and minuscule in that I increased density by merging last week's rest-pause set of 65 kgs x 2 + 2 into one big set of 4 reps straight. I do believe my form broke down the most on the 65 kgs set but I will strive to work on this next week - not that I am sweating the form aspect in a heavy workout like this. However, even though I am lax with my form: I don't like sloppiness. Other than this the workout was great! Lots of rep work with holds and tons of burn!

Pull-ups:
BW x 3 x 3 Paused

Dumbbell Rows:
20 kgs / 44 x 16
30 kgs / 66 x 13
40 kgs / 88 x 11
50 kgs / 110 x 7
55 kgs / 121 x 4
60 kgs / 132 x 3
65 kgs / 143 x 4
Volume = 58

Band Lat Pulldowns:
No. 2.0 x 12 x 4
Paused
Volume = 48

Band Seated Rows:
No. 2.0 x 12 x 4
Paused
Volume = 48

Band Pull-aparts:
No. 1.0 x 20 x 4
Volume = 80

Band Upright Rows:
No. 1.0 x 10 x 4
Volume = 40

Speed Deadliffts @75% Band Rows & Biceps
(#11)
Old

Default Speed Deadliffts @75% Band Rows & Biceps - 03-04-2015, 02:50 PM

Speed Deadliffts @75% Band Rows & Biceps

Video:

Last week's Speed Work was done in the 70% range so this week I've bumped it up to 75% and I'm going to keep increasing the weight by 10 kgs every workout till I get to somewhere around 85% or so. Then I will cycle back down the weight. Or Eric might instruct me to do something else. It all depends on actual performance. I'm happy with the workout. I am hoping my lower back feels 100% on Monday when I have my next heavy DL session. The new exercise called Chuck V Rows recommended to me by John Pinder of Iron Addicts felt really great on the lats and the mid-back.

Speed Deadlifts:
@75% of 1RM 525
175 kgs / 385 x 2 x 8

Chuck V. Rows:
No. 1.0 x 20 x 3
Volume = 60

Bicep Circuit:
3 rounds
75 reps
Hammer Curls 15 kgs / 33 x 5
Preacher Curls 7.5 kgs / 17 x 5
Barbell Curls 30 kgs / 66 x 5