IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page New Routine
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

New Routine
(#1)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction
jwood819 has a spectacular aura about

Default New Routine - 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM

I am trying to completely change up my workout for a while, and wanted to see if some of you guys would look at this routine and tell me what you think of it. I am looking to put on some size but really looking for strength gains for a little while. On off days I will be doing intense cardio.

Monday- Upper Body
Bench Press – 5 sets – 6 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps
Incline Bench Press – 5 sets – 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Standing Push Press – 4 sets -6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Bent Over Rows – 4 sets – all 6 reps
Skull Crushers – 3 sets – all 6 reps
Standing Dumbbell Curls- 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs – 4 sets - failure
Tuesday – lower body/abs
Hang Clean – 4 sets – 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps
Squat – 5 sets - 6 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps
Dead Lift – 5 sets – 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Front Squat – 4 sets – 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Lunges – 3 sets – 8 reps
Leg Curls – 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Behind the Neck Barbell Calf Raises – 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Calf Raises against the Wall Using Bodyweight as Only Resistance – 3 sets- failure
Weighted V crunch – 3 sets – all 10 reps
Trunk Twist – 2 sets – failure
Weighted Decline Crunch – 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Wednesday – off
Thursday- Upper Body Day #2
Incline Dumbbell Press – 5 sets – 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Bench Press – 5 sets - 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Seated Military Press – 4 sets – 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Lat pull downs to front – 3 sets – all 6 reps
Pull-ups – 5 sets – failure
Close Grip Bench Press – 4 sets – 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps
Weighted Dips – 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Barbell Curls – 4 sets - 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps
Friday – Lower Body Day #2
Traditional Power Clean – 4 sets – 6 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps,
Snatch – 4 sets – 4 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps
Box Squat – 5 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps
Dead Lift – 3 sets – 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
Leg Extensions – 4 sets – 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps
Barbell Calve Raises – 3 sets – 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps
Weighted Leg Lifts – 4 sets – all 8 reps
Trunk Twist – 1 set – failure
Medicine Ball Sit Ups – 4 sets – 8 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 6 reps
(#2)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 10-31-2008, 07:27 PM

looks pretty good, i like the variety you put in it.
is it 4 days a week. or 2on-1off-2on-repeat?

i would throw in one high rep set at the end of each major movement, just to finish with a pump and get some lactic acid going.
(#3)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 10-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks guys, the routine is only 4 days a week because I feel like it is too much to do 2 on 1 off, and it may lead to overtraining and fatigue, plus I plan to do some serious cardio and speed training. I am only 20 so I feel like I could handle deadlifts 2 times a week, but you are right that is a lot, I will have to think about it and experiment. I am glad to see that you guys think this is a good workout, thank you for the advice, I will put some more thought into the workout, but I like it for now, thank you.
(#4)
Old
Banned
antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future

Send a message via AIM to antihero
Default 11-04-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle And Brawn View Post
The only thing that I would find hard is doing deadlifts twice in a week. If it were me I would drop it from squat day. But if you are young, and can handle it...let it rip!
I don't understand how anyone could deadlift on squat day. Fuck that, I'm far too dead.
(#5)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM

well i successfully did it today, I guess it is just that I am young and determined, but I was able to do both, and actually get a personal best on my deadlift. This workout did kick my ass but it was a good day.
(#6)
Old
Banned
antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future

Default 11-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood819 View Post
well i successfully did it today, I guess it is just that I am young and determined, but I was able to do both, and actually get a personal best on my deadlift. This workout did kick my ass but it was a good day.
how old are you, cause I'm young and determined as well. But I can tell you, that if you are training all-out heavy and really pushing yourself on your compound movements, then you shouldn't have anything left in the tank for another big movement on the same day.
(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 11-05-2008, 10:21 AM

I have to agree,

In my opinion Deadlifts, and squats are the ultimate in compound movements.

Not saying that you are not pushing yourself to the limit, but in most cases if you are really pushing everything you got on either one. The second movement will suffer and not be pushed as hard and be treated like it was fresh. There is just no way especially with the rep range you are doing them in.

Use squats and deads on different days and you will benefit more. Mainly because you will be able to tax one muscle group better and allow it to rest better.

Another thing is to make each muscle group get adequate rest throughout the week.

This brings me to another subject overall. You stated:

Quote:
I am trying to completely change up my workout for a while, and wanted to see if some of you guys would look at this routine and tell me what you think of it. I am looking to put on some size but really looking for strength gains for a little while. On off days I will be doing intense cardio.
For gaining size and strength, it is my professional opinion that you stick with one bodypart a day on a 5 day split. You can get away with doing Biceps and Triceps together but most other compound movement need to be done all by themseleves. This will tax and cause enough hypertrophy to create the need response your muscles need to grow and get the needed rest they need as well.

As far as cardio goes. Either do it first thing in the morning or directly after your workout.

I'm not saying what you have listed is a bad workout just what is more optimal for what you are possibly looking for.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#8)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-05-2008, 12:24 PM

I am 20 years old and I do agree that it is possibly too much for my body thank you, but while doing a lot of research I have found that a lot of football workouts are similar to mine other than the squat and deadlift on the same day, which I will be changing. I play rugby and I felt that a football workout would be just as beneficial to a rugby player as a football player. Many of concepts are the same, power and speed, and a lot of athletic traniners I have spoke with say that five day splits are mostly only for bodybuilders, but if you could help me build on this workout I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure how to split the workout and still get the most athletic performance out of it, thank you.
(#9)
Old
Banned

Default 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood819 View Post
I am 20 years old and I do agree that it is possibly too much for my body thank you, but while doing a lot of research I have found that a lot of football workouts are similar to mine other than the squat and deadlift on the same day, which I will be changing. I play rugby and I felt that a football workout would be just as beneficial to a rugby player as a football player. Many of concepts are the same, power and speed, and a lot of athletic traniners I have spoke with say that five day splits are mostly only for bodybuilders, but if you could help me build on this workout I would greatly appreciate it. I am not sure how to split the workout and still get the most athletic performance out of it, thank you.
I could go on a LONG and drawn out rant about high school & college coaches & trainers, but I will save you the soapbox lecture and just simply say: Just because a coach somewhere came up with it, doesn't make it worth its weight in horse shit.
(#10)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-05-2008, 05:59 PM

That is a lecture I might enjoy hearing after having countless arguments with trainers and coaches about their weight training routines. I just do not know where to go to find a good workout, I do my best to make my own but I know they have many flaws which is why I posted it, hoping to get the criticism that I have gotten so far, and I hope it will keep coming so I can make a legitimate workout that gives me the results I am looking for.
(#11)
Old
c-heavyweight is on a distinguished road

Default 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM

DEADLEIFTING IS THE KING OF LIFTS!!!...j/k thats just my opinion cause squats is also an anabolic lift as well. Compounds lifts will bring the mass like no other so really work with good form and correct rep range!
(#12)
Old
c-heavyweight is on a distinguished road

Default 11-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-heavyweight View Post
DEADLEIFTING IS THE KING OF LIFTS!!!...j/k thats just my opinion cause squats is also an anabolic lift as well. Compounds lifts will bring the mass like no other so really work with good form and correct rep range!
*DEADLIFTING...my bad on the spelling
(#13)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM

I read the article and it was great, so just to make sure I am getting this right, I can lift each body part heavy multiple times a week including heavy compound lifts and push my body to the point of fatigue and soreness. After a 3 or 4 weeks of this, I take a light week or so where I cut back on the weight, reps and sets performed for each muscle and I will come back stronger. It makes sense, I hope I have the right mindset about this, thanks for the information.
(#14)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Muscle & Brawn, I have to say that things look fishy when a program distinguishes itself in different ways for natural lifters and lifters on steroids.

if the gear/juice/what-have-you is the reason a person avoids injury -- or masks the feeling of an injury -- then is the program really effective?

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#15)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Muscle and brawn, great resources, I am really started to understand the concept of deloading which is very new to me, but I will now be implementing this into my workouts, and I feel that it will help to maximize my gains. The logic and science seems to be there to back up this training method and I plan to continue to read and learn more about this topic, thanks.
(#16)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction

Default 11-07-2008, 10:53 AM

That is a good point, thank you for all your help, I feel great so far, but it has not even been a week, so this is an experiment. I am gonna just work as hard as I can and eat everything in sight.