IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page Calf still not right
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

Calf still not right
(#1)
Old
Certifiable - Crazy Lady!
madmaxie is on a distinguished road

Default Calf still not right - 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Remember awhile back I tore my calf muscle (what has it been, about a year?) It still aches! When I'm on my feet alot or do cardio that spot just throbs. There are no blood clots (had that checked by ultasound). I just wish it would go away. I've tried stretching, massaging, anti-inflamitories and nothing is working. Any suggestions?
(#2)
Old
Drakedogg has a spectacular aura about

Default 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Have you talked to the dr. about scar tissue or herniated bulges in the muscle where it healed?

Fear is not what defines you, your actions in the face of Fear is who you are!!! I won't be scared to push myself anymore!

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=drakedogg
(#3)
Old
Banned
antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future

Send a message via AIM to antihero
Default 06-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxie View Post
Remember awhile back I tore my calf muscle (what has it been, about a year?) It still aches! When I'm on my feet alot or do cardio that spot just throbs. There are no blood clots (had that checked by ultasound). I just wish it would go away. I've tried stretching, massaging, anti-inflamitories and nothing is working. Any suggestions?
was it a bad tear? im mean did you have it surgically re-attached or did it "heal" itself?
(#4)
Old

Default 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
was it a bad tear? im mean did you have it surgically re-attached or did it "heal" itself?
Healed itself. I had to "stay" off of it for 8 weeks (could walk but "absolutly no exercise" <---said in best doctor voice.) Drake brought up a good point...maybe scar tissue cuz I have a small "fatty" knot there, and this calf now cramps up easier. Damn, does this mean I'm getting old??? I'm already bummin cuz I need reading glasses when I wear my contacts
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 06-18-2008, 12:08 AM

Maybe some deep tissue massage would help? Heat packs, rub downs.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#6)
Old
Banned
antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future antihero has a brilliant future

Send a message via AIM to antihero
Default 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM

get quinine. it should fix that right up

Quote:
Healed itself. I had to "stay" off of it for 8 weeks (could walk but "absolutly no exercise" <---said in best doctor voice.) Drake brought up a good point...maybe scar tissue cuz I have a small "fatty" knot there, and this calf now cramps up easier. Damn, does this mean I'm getting old??? I'm already bummin cuz I need reading glasses when I wear my contacts
(#7)
Old
pou63 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via AIM to pou63
Default 06-20-2008, 11:31 AM

In my experience with muscle injuries you have to nurse them back to life. When I tore my MCL It was bothering me all the time even after it healed. Then I started working at it with body weight squats, stretching, losing weight (key factor take off tension and it heals better), Ice (very important and people neglect it).

It took months but after about a year and a half Im squating 4 plates 12 times and did 16 plates on each side 10 times on legpress. Booya

Not sure if this is why it healed but first I grew the strength back to do normal everyday things with stretching and body weight training. Then I bulked and tryed to make the muscle grow when it was fit enough to lift a bit heavier even though it would still bother me after lifting. Maybe in building muscle I buillt stronger ligaments in the knee?

Not sure but It never bothers me anymore..... Im also 20... :X
(#8)
Old

Default 06-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pou63 View Post
Not sure but It never bothers me anymore..... Im also 20... :X

Ouch, right to the heart babe...right to the heart.
(#9)
Old
pou63 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via AIM to pou63
Default 06-24-2008, 09:54 AM

haha
(#10)
Old
Hart18 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Hart18
Default 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Did the doc send you to physical therapy? If he did, you should have gotten excercises from the PT. But if he didnt, body weight excercises, heat followed by massage, ice when it hurts and rest. It definately sounds like scar tissue, which is common with muscle tears. In the PT clinic I work at we actually pay attention to the scar tissue and try and minimize it before it gets bad.
(#11)
Old

Default 07-01-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart18 View Post
Did the doc send you to physical therapy? If he did, you should have gotten excercises from the PT. But if he didnt, body weight excercises, heat followed by massage, ice when it hurts and rest. It definately sounds like scar tissue, which is common with muscle tears. In the PT clinic I work at we actually pay attention to the scar tissue and try and minimize it before it gets bad.

No he didn't, he just said stay off of it for 8 weeks...come see me then. I've been slowly getting back into jogging, but I'm scared as heck that when I streach it I'll rip it, or when I'm jogging I'll rip it, I'll step wrong I'll rip it...you get he idea. It's slowly getting less sore, hubby has been doing deep tissue massage after I've jogged and also putting a heat rub on it when he does. But I feel it most when I streach, so I've been VERY carefull about that. Thanks fr the info.
(#12)
Old

Default 07-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Update: Although it's tender, it's not the solid ache that it was. I've been slowly working it and so far so good. I've started jogging again and taking that slow also, I'm up to a mile without it hurting and walking two and it feels pretty good. After the workout I soak in a hot tub and have hubby do a deep tissue massage. It seems to help. Thanks all for the helpful info. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! (tear - sniff)
(#13)
Old
Hart18 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Hart18
Default 07-10-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
No he didn't, he just said stay off of it for 8 weeks...come see me then. I've been slowly getting back into jogging, but I'm scared as heck that when I streach it I'll rip it, or when I'm jogging I'll rip it, I'll step wrong I'll rip it...you get he idea. It's slowly getting less sore, hubby has been doing deep tissue massage after I've jogged and also putting a heat rub on it when he does. But I feel it most when I streach, so I've been VERY carefull about that. Thanks fr the info.
Well thats just nonsensical. Thats just about the worst thing you can do for an injury. You need to get moving asap. Otherwise atrophy and scar tissue starts to become an issue, which it obviously did in your case. Wow, Im kinda shocked an MD would do that. Oh well, shit happens I guess. But I wouldnt worry so much about ripping it again. As long as you warm up and stretch properly you should be fine. And stretching is a big thing. 3 sets at 30 seconds each 2 to 3 times a day and you should be good to go.
(#14)
Old
fitness bike is on a distinguished road

Default 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM

I would see a physical therapist. I had the same type of problem but it resulted from a broken ankle. I had been favoring that leg for years and it screwed me up when I was working our because it resulted in the other calf getting over worked. You may have picked up the same type of bad habit.