IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page The "Slingshot Training System" 8 week mass gain program. With weekly progress pics!
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

The "Slingshot Training System" 5 day split program. With weekly progress pics!
(#1)
Old
realworksuks is on a distinguished road

Default The "Slingshot Training System" 5 day split program. With weekly progress pics! - 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM

I just got done reading all about the program yesterday and I really wanted to give it a shot.

To read about the program go here:

The Slingshot Training System - Bodybuilding.com Forums

There is a lot of reading there so I will try to sum it up. It is a bodypart split program where you only work each muscle once per week. There are 3 phases to the program and it tries to imitate the 3 phase cycles of anabolic steroids. First is the anabolic prime phase where we go into a catabolic state to prime our bodies for anabolism, two weeks long. Second is the anabolic blast phase where we up the volume by a lot and eat like crazy, four weeks long, third is the anabolic cruise phase where we start to taper down the volume and still maintain a calorie surplus, two weeks long.

When we start the program we pick two exercises for each body part. A main exercise and an assistance exercise (bench press and flys) These are the two exercises we will be using for the whole duration of the program.

I will be posting lots of specific information throughout the journal but I didn't want the first post to be incredibly long, or else people might be scared away... ha.

My Fitday Food Journal:

FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for realworksuks

You can go here and see exactly what my diet is for the day.

I have been training for about 1.5 years consistently.

my stats are:

22 year old Male
170 pounds
5 feet 8.5 inches tall

MEASUREMENTS IN INCHES:
Waist 33.5
hips 34.5
chest 35.5
neck 14
right arm 14 flex 13 cold
left arm 13 cold 14 flex
right quad (one hand length from knee) 18.5
left quad 18.5

I will post weekly progress pictures. I should be pretty lean by the time I am done with the anabolic prime phase.

I am planning on doing all of the cardio sessions during the anabolic prime phase and hopefully losing a couple pounds of fat.

My workouts will be

A.
Chest
Calves

B.
Lats

Abs

C.
Deltoids

Traps

D.

Arms

E.

Legs

F:

Off

G:

Off

H. Repeat training cycle.

I actually plan to workout Saturday and take Thursday off instead of the typical setup above. But it is a 5 day bodypart split. I haven't done a bodybuilder program like this before.

Here is a starting picture:

I plan on getting some mass on that skinny ass frame!

Last edited by realworksuks; 03-04-2008 at 04:10 PM.
(#2)
Old

Default 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM

During the first 2 week phase the workouts are only 2 work sets per bodypart. And reps should be 12-15.

All work sets should be to "good failure" the point before you know you will fail.

This was my weight training.

Bench Press
Warmups:
155 X 12
175 X 6
185 X 6

Work Set:
165 X 12

15 degree incline fly's
Warm up:
25 X 15

Work:
25 X 15

Standing Calf Raises (smith machine):
Warm up:
135 X 13
155 X 10
185 X 6

Work
165 X 15

Leg press calf raises
130 X 13

Work
145 X 13

This workout kicked my chest's ass. I can't imagine how tough this will be once I get into the mass phase where the work sets increase to 5 per exercise!
(#3)
Old

Default 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Specific Workout Program

This is the workout program for the first two weeks. In the following phases the workouts stay the same with the number of sets and reps changing.

it goes 1 set per exercise, to 5 sets per exercise, to 3 sets per exercise.

Here is what I will be doing during the first two weeks.. excluding the 0-3 warm up sets:

Monday: Chest/calves
Key Ex. for chest: Barbell Bench Press: 1 set of 15 reps
Sec. Ex for chest: Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 1 set of 15 reps
Key Ex. for calves: Standing Calf raises: 1 set of 15 reps
Sec. Ex. for calves: Seated Calf Raises: 1 set of 15 reps

Tuesday: Back
Deadlifts: 1 set of 15 reps
Lat Pull Downs: 1 set of 15 reps
Bent arm pullover: 1 set of 15 reps
Bent over Barbell Rows: 1 set of 15 reps
Seated Row: 1 set of 15 reps

Wednesday:Shoulders
Seated Dumbell Press:1 set of 15 reps
Dumbell Lateral Raises:1 set of 15 reps
Bentover Rear Cable Raises: 1 set of 15 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs: 1 set of 15 reps

Thursday: off

Friday: Arms
Incline Dumbbell Curls: 1 set of 15 reps
Drag Barbell Curls: 1 set of 15 reps
Standing Hammer Curls: 1 set of 15 reps
Lying Tricep Extension: 1 set of 15 reps
Tricep Pushdown: 1 set of 15 reps

Saturday: Legs
Squats:1 set of 15 reps
Leg extension: 1 set of 15 reps
leg curls: 1 set of 15 reps
Stiff legged deadlifts: 1 set of 15 reps

Sunday: Off
(#4)
Old

Default 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM

Did I make 2 threads? I don't know how that happened...

Someone can delete my other thread if they know how... or if you know how you can tell me how to do it and i'll delete it myself.
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-03-2008, 10:05 PM

We have the entire program laid out here for ya buddy. Ronnie is even on this site as well. I just got off the phone with him.

Welcome to Illpumpyouup

http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/showthread.php?t=10733

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#6)
Old

Default 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
We have the entire program laid out here for ya buddy. Ronnie is even on this site as well. I just got off the phone with him.

Welcome to Illpumpyouup

http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/showthread.php?t=10733
Thanks man! I'm so glad to have the support of this forum!
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Growing, growing, growing, keep them doggies growing rawhide

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah welcome aboard! STS is awesome stuff!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#9)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 03-03-2008, 10:59 PM

welcome to your new home man!!, good to see more big-orexic people on here. keep up the growing.
(#10)
Old

Default 03-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Thanks for your support guys! I can tell this will be an awesome experience with all the support from the forum!

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the program that I was hoping you could help me with..

during the anabolic prime we have to cut out anabolic supplements... does this include whey protein?? I like to take whey protein post workout with skim milk...

I know it said no dairy products due to saturated fats, but what about skim milk? It doesn't have any fat...

And could I have skim milk with my breakfast? I am thinking oatmeal, go lean cereal, uncle sam cereal, and some flax seed and milk... how's that sound?

And is whey protein considered an anabolic supplement?

Also I was wondering if a ketogenic diet would be OK for the anabolic prime. That is mainly fat, moderate protein, and very low carbs (less than 40G or so).

There would be a lot of saturated fats, though... but I am pretty sure it's a very catabolic diet...no insulin at all.. what do you think?

I am also wondering exactly how the rep scheme should go for the program...

On the warm up sets I understand we should start with lighter weights and around 12 reps, and then increase the weights and decrease reps correct?

For example today on bench I did
155 X 12
175 X 6
185 X 6

That pretty much kicked my ass, though.. haha. It was pretty strenous. Would be very hard to do another 5 work sets after that. Should I lower the weights on the warm ups?

How strenous should we make the warm up sets?

And when we get into the work sets, do we want to start with heavy weight and low reps and then keep lowering weights and increase reps with each additional set? Or do we want to pyramid upwards?

EDIT: Also, what are your thoughts on supersetting exercises? Like on Chest day, how about doing the main chest exercise (bench press) and then going to the main calf exercise (standing calf raises) for example. Alternating sets back and forth, bench then calf raises, then back to bench then calf raises repeat until finished with both.

Would that be ok?

Sorry for the longwinded questions but I am trying to get this awesome program nailed down...

I will post my diet later and hopefully you guys can see if I have that down.

Last edited by realworksuks; 03-04-2008 at 12:10 AM.
(#11)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM

Warm-ups are light!! Start with 100lb's, it's just to get the joints lubed/warmed-up not push you limits. You'll see better gains this way with less pain. I don't superset, but some do. Not recommended with STS I think? As far as diet, I am the wrong person to post on it, lol.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#12)
Old
KRAM is on a distinguished road

Default 03-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I'll take a shot on a few of these & hopefully Ronnie will chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworksuks View Post
Hey guys, I have a few questions about the program that I was hoping you could help me with..

during the anabolic prime we have to cut out anabolic supplements... does this include whey protein??
Nope! Whey is 'a-ok'!

Quote:
I know it said no dairy products due to saturated fats, but what about skim milk? It doesn't have any fat...And could I have skim milk with my breakfast? I am thinking oatmeal, go lean cereal, uncle sam cereal, and some flax seed and milk... how's that sound?
I used Skim during the Prime at breakfast & post-workout & lost a couple pounds of fat. I did use it in moderation tho because although there's no fat, milk is high in carbs (I think it's something like 6gr Dex/cup?). So take the carbs into account in figuring your daily macro's.

Quote:
And is whey protein considered an anabolic supplement?
I would say yes, but it's ok during the Prime & Ronnie suggests it to to meet your daily protein requirements & spike insulin suring anabolic meals.

Quote:
Also I was wondering if a ketogenic diet would be OK for the anabolic prime. That is mainly fat, moderate protein, and very low carbs (less than 40G or so). There would be a lot of saturated fats, though... but I am pretty sure it's a very catabolic diet...no insulin at all.. what do you think?
That one I can't help you with, I've never tried a keto diet & likely won't for some time.

Quote:
I am also wondering exactly how the rep scheme should go for the program...

On the warm up sets I understand we should start with lighter weights and around 12 reps, and then increase the weights and decrease reps correct?

For example today on bench I did
155 X 12
175 X 6
185 X 6

That pretty much kicked my ass, though.. haha. It was pretty strenous. Would be very hard to do another 5 work sets after that. Should I lower the weights on the warm ups?

How strenous should we make the warm up sets?
Ronnie suggests 12/6/6 for warm-ups. Your warm-ups should NOT be your work sets & should NOT overly tax you. You can increase weight from the first set of 12, I usually do as I find this helps me warm-up, but by no means is the weight difficult. Their intended to bring blood into the muscles & get them ready for your work sets so they will properly contact.

Here's a snippet from his write-up:
"Using more than 3 warm-up sets for any cold body part (for i.e. chest and quads) will hurt your performance. If you need more than 3 warm up sets your doing something wrong (for i.e.; ego lifting). If a muscle group is completely cold, you should always start using 1 high rep warm-up set of 12-15 reps followed by 1 to 2 heavier warm-up sets using only 6 reps. If you fail to warm up properly you wonít be able to bring enough blood flow (pump) into the muscles before performing the heaviest set even though youíve done a PREP SET and this will increase the risk of getting injured. In addition, a muscle that is not warmed up sufficiently will contract and stretch with less efficiency and this means less muscle fiber stimulation."

Quote:
And when we get into the work sets, do we want to start with heavy weight and low reps and then keep lowering weights and increase reps with each additional set? Or do we want to pyramid upwards?
You need to read Slingshot Pyramiding

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest reading the entire write-up & the Q&A thread....print it out if you have to; I did...made a nice little STS manual for myself. Very handy! http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/showthread.php?t=10733

Quote:
EDIT: Also, what are your thoughts on supersetting exercises? Like on Chest day, how about doing the main chest exercise (bench press) and then going to the main calf exercise (standing calf raises) for example. Alternating sets back and forth, bench then calf raises, then back to bench then calf raises repeat until finished with both.

Would that be ok?
Here's what Ronnie had to say on the super-set issue in another thread:

Quote:
Supersets are hard on the CNS because you are moving fast between sets. Researchers from Truman State University (Kirksville Missouri) investigated whether the amount of rest taken between sets had an impact on the immune system/CNS.

Here's a quote of what they found: "Nine male college students performed two workouts of 10 sets of 10 reps of the leg press, resting either 1 minute or 3 minutes between sets. They found that the one-minute rest periods caused more strain on the subjects immune systems compared to 3-minute rest periods".

The graphs shown in this article suggest that higher-intensity training techniques by way of shortening rest periods by only 2 minutes increases strain on the immune by an extra 60% on the Lymphocytes scale and 40% on the Monocytes scale. . Now just imagine how much more of an an increase you would get by using beyond failure techniques!!!!!!!

Regardless of what anyone claims, no ones body does well moving rapidly between sets or pushing beyond failure. It's just not as effective for increasing weight load-range and workload capacity as common power-lifting fundamentals. If so, every power-lifter and strongman on the face the planet would be using beyond failure training techniques adn super sets instead of straight sets and we know thatís not the case.

When over-training of the CNS occurs you are exhausting all the neurotransmitters in the nerves so that now they have trouble telling the muscles how to contract with optimum efficiency!

After each subsequent set that follows the first work set, the type-1 fibers tire out earlier in the set and the type 2 fibers that are most responsible for giving you muscle size-strength take over the load for longer periods of time. By the time you have done only 2-3 intense sets, the endurance fibers are shutting down much earlier in the set and it's mostly the type-2 fibers lifting the weight. This is why volume training works well for pro-bodybuilders. The type-2 fibers must be made to adapt to lift more weight for longer periods of time in order to grow larger. In order to accomplish this feat, you must handle heavier weights over time. By training each bodypart only once a week with straight sets will produce the most size gains with the least amount of effort while sparing the joints and central nervous system.

In final, using super sets pumps the muscle but will hold back strength gains-hence not hit the type-2 fibers with great efficiency because your CNS will fatigue during a high volume blast..
Hope some of that helps!

Mark
(#13)
Old
Brrcats is on a distinguished road

Default 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Welcome to the boards, its always good to see another pale, skinny guy

(#14)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM

On the ketogenic diet.

This is an extreme way to loose fat.

Now based on what you stated as far as mass gaining. Do not attempt the keto diet right now. If you want to gain mass. Gain mass with the program. You will still gain mass and can loose some bodyfat in the process by just the sheer amount of volume you will be doing during the Blast. Only do the cardio durning the Prime and cruise phases.

When it is time to cut Just drop your overall carb and fat levels. Like I said before keto is an extreme measure not recomended unless you really have a Dr. Track your progress.

From the looks of you, you don't need keto your not at all fat.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#15)
Old

Default 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM

thanks mark! That was an awesome post, thanks!

Yesterday, just to make sure I was following the diet guidelines I just had 10 egg whites and some oatmeal post workout. I will have some whey and oatmeal today instead!

And good, I will make my work sets less streneous.

I will also read that article today, after my workout.. about pyramiding on STS.

Thanks for the welcome brrcats, I know you from BB.com, how are ya doing?

RoaringMad Mac:

I thought of keto because I have quite a bit of experience with that type of diet. I would only think to use it during the prime phase because it's a catabolic diet, and I figure since I am in a calorie defecit during the prime I might as well lose as much fat as possible....

Plus I like to eat tons of steak and other great keto foods! hah.

But definitely, fat loss is not a priority right now and my only goal is to get muscle mass.

Last edited by realworksuks; 03-04-2008 at 12:52 PM.
(#16)
Old
KRAM is on a distinguished road

Default 03-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworksuks View Post
thanks mark! That was an awesome post, thanks!

And good, I will make my work sets less streneous.
No problem, glad to help.

Just to clarify....your WORK sets should be tough! Your WARM-UP's should not.
(#17)
Old

Default 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM View Post
No problem, glad to help.

Just to clarify....your WORK sets should be tough! Your WARM-UP's should not.
LOL, my bad, I meant to say I will make my warm up sets less tough.
(#18)
Old

Default 03-04-2008, 03:12 PM

I asked some of the people doing the program and I was lifting way too heavy on my warm up sets. They are just for getting the joints and muscles lubed up for heavy weight.

So, basically instead of doing 1 work set on bench yesterday it was more like all 4.

I fixed that today... here is my back workout for the day:

Deadlifts
95 X 8
135 X 7
145 X 6

work set:
155 X 15

medium grip pullups (not chins)
9, 6
work set: 10

bent arm pullover:
45 X 15
work:
65 X 10

bent over rows:
65 X 15

Work set:
95 X 15

T bar row machine:
55 X 15
work set:
70 X 18

then I did crunches and reverse crunches to "good failure" about 75 crunches and 25 reverse crunches.

thoughts:
I need to add more weight! I could have sat there and deadlifted 155 all day long, I will definitely have to add weight on that.

The pullups are hard as hell, I do them very slow and controlled, eventually I plan to add some weight for my heavy sets.

The bent arm pullovers I have never done before and it felt pretty awkward... the work set weight was about right.

When I was doing the work set for the bent over rows I noticed my back started to round on about the 10th rep, I straightened it out and finished the set but my form was slipping.

With the T bar rows I REALLY need to add some weight... I will use my work set weight this time for my warm up next time...

The workout felt great and I am loving this program so far...!
(#19)
Old

Default 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM

I have a couple questions about the workout...

When talking about incline fly's ronnie mentions doing an inward pinky twist... what is that?

With the medium grip pullups should we have the palm of our hands facing us? Or away from us?

Any tips on the bent arm pullover?
(#20)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM

Here's something to help you fly with a twist question:

Here's an example of pullovers:

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]