IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page RickB's (formerly known as STS Log
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

RickB's (formerly known as STS Log
(#1)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default RickB's (formerly known as STS Log - 01-11-2008, 11:16 AM

I'll be starting this Monday. It might take me a bit to figure out what weight I should work with. I'm looking forward to this though! I think it will add some strength to my weak a**

*Comments are welcomed here!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

Last edited by RickB; 02-06-2008 at 04:44 PM.
(#2)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 01-11-2008, 11:20 AM

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#3)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 01-11-2008, 02:15 PM

Don't get too excited guys! I'm weaker than anyone currently doing this here on IPYU. But look out! LOL! I'm excited to see where this takes me!
(#5)
Old
Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold

Default 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM

I look for you to get stronger fast..

Week 1 - Day 1 - Prime
(#6)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default Week 1 - Day 1 - Prime - 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Deadlifts:
w/u (10,6,6)
205 x 15

Med. Grip Pull-Ups:
w/u (lat bar: 10,6,6)
-60 x 12 (assisted pull-up, terribly weak here)

Bent Arm Pull-overs:
w/u (10,6,6)
45 x 15 (should have gone heavier here)

Bent-Over BB Rows:
I flippin' forgot these! I will make them up at home and edit this.
Edit: w/u + 135 x 12

Cable Rows:
w/u (10,6,6)
130 x 15

Seated Dumbell Shrugs:
I forgot these too. I will make this up at home too.
Edit: w/u + **standing barbell 135 x 15 (I don't have heavy enough dumbells at home...so this was improvised)

Abs: Crunches, Reverse Crunches, plus more.

*Okay, I forgot to take my printout with me so I failed to do 2 of the movements. Also my form started going south on my DL's later in the working set. Will work on this. I think I will like this STS, but I have a lot of figuring to do to find the weights I should use for warm-ups & for working sets.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

Last edited by RickB; 01-14-2008 at 08:30 PM.
(#7)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM

haha yeah this is the first time ive ever gone in with a little pen and pad and jotted all my information down. last wednesday i forgot my pen and started freaking out =x
what about the abs?
(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
haha yeah this is the first time ive ever gone in with a little pen and pad and jotted all my information down. last wednesday i forgot my pen and started freaking out =x
what about the abs?
I did remember to do abs, just forgot to put them in here. Fixed now. I had my printout in my hand just minutes before going to the gym....doh!
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

I think it is primarily your decision if you want to warm up but from what I have seen from previous logs. Only one warmup at the very first is needed unless you think you need to warm up so much.

It may seem the case that during your prime all the warmups turn into an actual workout.

I am sure Ronnie will comment on this to better clarify.

I only warmup on my first set

Example

Decline Dumbell presses
w/u 50 for 10
60 for 8
70 for 6

then the worksets, and that is it the next exercise I just go straight into the worksets.

(#10)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM

OK, thanks Mac! I do feel like my warmups took energy away from me....so I might have been over-warming up

This is going to be fun. It seems it has sparked that noob feeling I used to have. Not to be mistaken for motivation, I rarely have a problem with that, but I feel like a kid that made his first visit to the candy shop!

Week 1 - Day 2 - Prime
(#11)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default Week 1 - Day 2 - Prime - 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

I did much lighter warm-ups today and seemed to workout good. Came up a tad short on bench, but I felt my energy level was off going in.

BB Bench:
w/u (12/6/6 using chest press machine)
185 x 12

DB Flys:
w/u (12/6/6 using fly machine)
30's x 15

45į Incline DB Curls:
30's x 15

Preacher Curls:
65 x 15

Seated DB Hammer Curls:
20's x 15

FYI!!!!!!!!
(#12)
Old
Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold

Exclamation FYI!!!!!!!! - 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Here's a very descriptive version-

Every advanced power-lifter I have worked with soon realizes they must hit their heaviest set on key movements before the neural muscular pathways weaken yet while they have some pump in the muscle. This is important because when a muscle is fresh, ATP (the chemical responsible for energy and contraction) and stored glycogen in the muscle are at their highest. That's when you can really lift some heavy weight loads. Stopping 1 rep shy of good failure on the first work set will keep the CNS strong and will awaken and optimize the firing of neural pathways for the heaviest work set to follow. I call this the "prep set" and it's far more fatiguing than a warm up set. You must never train to good failure during the prep set or it will exhaust the CNS before the heaviest set. One prep set must be done prior to the heaviest set in order to optimize the firing of the neuro-pathways so more weight can be lifted. And you'll need to wait an additional minute or so before going to your heaviest work set (set # 2). My power-lifters are known for doing a prep set and then waiting around 5 minutes or more before doing their heaviest set to increase weight load range and workload capacity. You'll be required to wait around 4 minutes as a bodybuilder before doing your heaviest set on compound movements and 3 minutes for main isolation exercises for body parts such as the arms. Then go back to 3 minutes between sets for the rest of the compound lifts and 2 minutes for isolation movements.

Using more than 3 warm-up sets for any cold body part (for i.e. chest and quads) will hurt your performance. If you need more than 3 warm up sets your doing something wrong (for i.e.; ego lifting). If a muscle group is completely cold, you should always start using 1 high rep warm-up set of 12-15 reps followed by 1 to 2 heavier warm-up sets using only 6 reps. If you fail to warm up properly you won't be able to bring enough blood flow (pump) into the muscles before performing the heaviest set even though you've done a PREP SET and this will increase the risk of getting injured. In addition, a muscle that is not warmed up sufficiently will contract and stretch with less efficiency and this means less muscle fiber stimulation.

On the other hand, if you over exert yourself during the warm up sets by using more than one high rep set or using too much weight, you will become to fatigued to produce the desired training effect during the work sets. Warm ups are designed to bring blood flow into the muscle not break down muscle tissue or exert yourself. Using too much weight during warm-ups sets or pushing too much intensity is a huge mistake being made by many bodybuilders and it's really hurting their ability to increase weight load range and workload capacity. A moderately pumped muscle responds better to heavier workloads and it takes a non-fatiguing high rep set followed by one or two moderate low rep sets to make this happen if the muscle is completely cold. Anytime you do not feel adequately warmed following a high and a low rep warm up set, you'll need to add an additional low rep warm up set using the same amount of weight used in the second set. Adding more weight to the third set can produce too much fatigue and do nothing to further prepare the joints for the heavy workload to come. However, it's okay to add a few more pounds to the 3rd warmup set and drop the reps back to only 4.

One low rep set is usually sufficient for the deltoids because they are to be trained directly after chest. When training bicep after lats, a warm up set is generally not needed before proceeding to the work sets. If you feel the need to use more warm-ups set for the delts or biceps because it's an area that's been injured in the past, you can use a total of 2 low rep sets of 6 repetitions. In these particular cases, you would need to shun high reps during the warm up because of the fatigue already present from training the chest and lats. This rule applies to every body part. Performing countless warm-up sets for a body part that's already filled with blood is counter productive and only wasting valuable gym time.

I have found Slingshot Pyramiding to be the best way to increase both strength and muscular size. Warming up the right way and starting out with a medium rep work set taken 1 rep shy of good failure before performing a heavy low rep set with key movements allows you to take a much bigger jump in weight during a low rep set without becoming injured. When following the 5 day per week Slingshot Training System here's the proper way to train chest. Let's say your getting ready to do 10 work sets during the blasting phase with the decline press (key movement) and incline flyes (secondary movement). First are the warm-up sets. 1st warm up set using the decline bench press 135lbs-12 reps, 2nd warm up set 175lbs-6 reps, 3rd warm up set 185 lbs-4 reps, 1st work set 250 lbs for 8 reps (medium rep "PREP SET" stopping 1 rep shy of good failure and (waiting an additional minute before proceeding to 2nd work set). 2nd work set/heavy low rep-set 350 lbs-4 reps to good failure in order to increase myofibrillar growth, 3rd work set 250 for 8 reps (medium rep set) to good failure, 4th work set for 230 lbs for 8 reps (medium rep set) to good failure. The 5th work set would be 190 lbs 12 reps (high rep set) to good failure in order to completely burnout the strongest regions of the chest and increase sarcoplasmic growth. Next, you would switch over to dumbbell flyes to finish off the entire chest. Work set # 1 would be 40 lbs for a high rep set (12-15) to good failure. Work set # 2 would be 50 lbs a medium rep set (8-10) to good failure. Work set # 3 would be 50 lbs for a medium rep set (8-10) to good failure. Work set # 4 would be 50 lbs for a medium rep set to good failure (8-10) and the 5th and final set would 50 lbs for a low rep set (6-8) to good failure to break down the muscle group in its entirety.

Note: Stronger people will need up to 3 warmup sets but some can get by with only 1 high rep one warm ups for cold bodyparts like the chest. I will add this to the main section!

Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 01-16-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Week 1 - Day 4 - Prime
(#13)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default Week 1 - Day 4 - Prime - 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

*Day 3 was an off day

Today

Shoulder Press:
w/u 12, 6, 6
100 x 15 (machine)

Leaning One-Arm Lateral Raises:
w/u 12
20 x 15

Bent-Over Lateral Raises:
20's x 15

Close Grip Bench:
w/u 12, 6, 6
135 x 15

Skull-Crushers (used close grip w/elbows in tight)
55 x 15

Week 1 - Day 5 - Prime
(#14)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default Week 1 - Day 5 - Prime - 01-18-2008, 07:04 PM

Some improvising today. My fault for not consulting with Ronnie prior to today. I just glanced at the workout this morning and saw that there are two movements that I would be unable to do due to *lack of a machine.

Standing Calf Raises:
w/u: 12, 6, 6
15 reps w/245lbs + body weight and toes on 2 stacked plates

Seated Calf Raises:

* Stacked 4 x 45lb plates on one leg at a time with toes on 2 stacked plates
15 reps

Squats:
255 x 12

Leg Extensions:
w/u: 6, 6
170 x 15

Seated Leg Curls:
170 x 15

Lying Leg Curls:
*no machine - Did more seated
150 x 13

Week 2 - Day 1 - Prime
(#15)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default Week 2 - Day 1 - Prime - 01-21-2008, 06:55 PM

Deadlifts:
w/u: 12,6,6
225 x 15

Pull-ups:
15 reps (assisted)

Bent-Arm Pullovers (Decline):
55 x 15

Bent-Over BB Rows:
w/u: 12
135 x 15

Cable Rows:
140 x 15

Shrugs (standing BB):
135 x 15

Abs:
Crunches, Reverse Crunches, + more.

*I was off of work today, so I worked out at home. The deadlifts went better today, although my form still needs work. I've never been used to doing this many reps on DL's so last week the form went south half way through. Today was better and used 20 more pounds. My grip was my weak spot.

LOL! Adam came home right after i started videoing this:

Last edited by RickB; 01-21-2008 at 07:01 PM.
(#16)
Old
ashley willcox has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to ashley willcox
Default 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM

great vids and log

2010 is my year
we are what we pratice
prime
week one
week two
blast
week one
week two
(#17)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM

Looking strong Rick

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#18)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM

Good video's Rick, Now you have pushed me to make some more. Good job on the deads. Your form looked fine to me.

(#19)
Old

Default 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Deadlifts:
225 x 15

Pull-ups:
15 reps (assisted)

Bent-Arm Pullovers (Decline):
55 x 15

Bent-Over BB Rows:
w/u: 12
135 x 15

Cable Rows:
140 x 15

Shrugs (standing BB):
135 x 15

Abs:
Crunches, Reverse Crunches, + more.

*I was off of work today, so I worked out at home. The deadlifts went better today, although my form still needs work. I've never been used to doing this many reps on DL's so last week the form went south half way through. Today was better and used 20 more pounds. My grip was my weak spot.
<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=3958111555303227279&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

LOL! Adam came home right after i started videoing this:
<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5906016830346968016&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>
Finally, someone does a video doing dead-lifts with bouncing at the bottom. Great job!

You also have the option of doing partials dead-lifts. This spares the legs and some get more lat development (your weak area) because they can use more weight. You should give them a try and see which works best for you.

You are a good candidate for straps.

Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 01-22-2008 at 09:39 AM.
(#20)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 01-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
Finally, someone does a video doing dead-lifts with bouncing at the bottom. Great job!

I hope you meant without bouncing

You also have the option of doing partials dead-lifts. This spares the legs and some get more lat development (your weak area) because they can use more weight. You should give them a try and see which works best for you.

Do you mean like rack DL's?

You are a good candidate for straps.

I'm going to try to resist using straps unless my grip doesn't progress along with my workouts. I never thought I'd need them, but then again, I've never done that many reps of deads before.
Thanks for all of your help big guy!