IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page Chest twice a week?
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

Chest twice a week?
(#1)
Old
KenDawg4 is on a distinguished road

Default Chest twice a week? - 03-19-2009, 12:58 AM

Would it be ok hitting up chest 2 times a week without overtraining them?
(#2)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 03-19-2009, 01:50 AM

depends on several factors: lifting experience, current lifting intensity , current chest workout, diet, rest, day to day routine layout, and stupid genetics

why are you concerned in doing so? feel that your pec's are lagging?
you could give your stats, toss a picture in , some insight on the factors i gave out.... but truly the only one who could make the call is you.

for me, things got going when i realized that my chest loves fly-type movements
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 03-19-2009, 01:54 AM

Sure, Monday and Friday. Only 3 sets each day. 2 sets of 8 reps and 1 set of 5 reps. One day could be Incline BP and the other decline. And then one of those days I would do 2-3 sets of 8 reps of flyes.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#4)
Old
BigFiveFive has a spectacular aura about

Default 03-19-2009, 02:04 AM

I ALWAYS do chest twice a week, Monday and Wednesday, Monday is a 10,8,8,6 set of bench with a super set of reg flys, then decline bench, followed by incline flys. Wednesday i usually take it easy and do 3x5 of reg DB bench and 3x3 medium weight wide grip bench. Works good for me.
(#5)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM

You can do anything you want twice a week. After 72 hours your muscles are TYPICALLY recovered. Unless for some reason your body is telling you "no", go ahead and go for it.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#6)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Like The Loaf stated and others. Sure you can do it twice a week. But I would ask you this are you planning on doing other bodyparts twice a week as well and if not why only Chest. Like Kris asked do you feel it is lagging. Even lagging bodyparts don't have to be trained twice a week to make them grow.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#7)
Old

Default 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Well I was planning on just doing chest twice a week. I think it's definately lagging. I'm get results in every aspect of my body except chest. I feel like it's never going to grow!! lol.
(#8)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM

I would do chest and triceps on day 1, so you aren't hammering triceps on an off chest day.
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Good point Muscle and Brawn.

That is one of the reasons people do chest at the beginning of the week.

(#10)
Old

Default 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle And Brawn View Post
I would do chest and triceps on day 1, so you aren't hammering triceps on an off chest day.
I always hit triceps with my chest workout which is on mondays. Any idea when I would do my next chest workout if I go twice a week...thursday?
(#11)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg4 View Post
I always hit triceps with my chest workout which is on mondays. Any idea when I would do my next chest workout if I go twice a week...thursday?
What does the rest of your training split look like? I would not work chest the day after shoulders if it were me. So depending on when you work other bodyparts thursday or friday should be fine.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#12)
Old

Default 03-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Right now I'm on a 4day split.

Monday- Chest, Tricep
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday- Either Cardio or always playing some sort of sport. Supposed to be my rest day.
Thursday- Shoulders
Friday- Back, Bicep
Weekend- Off
(#13)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM

What does your entire week look like.

(#14)
Old

Default 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Hey Roaringmad Mac, I've read some of your post and you seem like you hit the weights hard. That's exactly how I want to be. Any suggestions? I love how these forums are full of helpful and knowlegdable people.
(#15)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the compliment

Honestly I don't think you need to be hitting a muscle group twice a week. You can follow a good split that way Matt20 does such as

Monday
Back
Tuesday
Chest
Wenesday
Off
Thursday
Shoulders and traps
Friday
Arms
Saturday
Legs.

Or if you are at school and you the 5 day split can look like this:
Monday
Chest

Tuesday
Legs

Wensday
Shoulders and traps

Thursday
Back

Friday
Arms

This way you have two full days to recover.

The harder you hit it during the week in my opinion the more rest you need. Hitting a bodypart twice a week tends to make you not manage your intensity as well as you would if say you were only hitting the bodypart once a week. The theory goes: Destroy it one time that week constantly trying to beat the log book or your personal best and let it rest. Now, with that said you will be getting some alternate bodyparts that commonly work together on different exercises.

There is a lot to go on what I've said so trying to slim it down an bit. What are you looking for. Power, strength, Cutting bodyfat or what.

(#16)
Old

Default 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm looking to gain mass. What do you think i should do as far as chest goes? Are they any workouts or style that I'll benefit from like supersetting etc. I've always had a problem with bringing my chest out. I'm getting pretty tired of it so it's time for me to get as much insight as I can from the pros on these boards.
(#17)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg4 View Post
I would hit chest and shoulders. You want to minimize "pushing" days on a 2 times a week chest routine.

So something like this...

Day 1...Chest, Tris
Day 2...
Day 3...Legs
Day 4...
Day 5...Chest, Shoulders
Day 6...Back, Biceps
Day 7...

Also, you might want to perform 2 different styles of chest workouts. Maybe do a standard bodybuilding style routine on Monday, and then a lower rep style on Friday (more powerlifting style), and throw in speed benches.

Speed Benches are 55-60% of your 1RPM, for 8 sets of 3 reps...with 45 seconds between each. Each rep is EXPLOSIVE...power = additional strength gains = more future muscle.

Just tossing out ideas...doing the same workout twice a week gets tedious...
(#18)
Old
Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold

Default 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Like The Loaf stated and others. Sure you can do it twice a week. But I would ask you this are you planning on doing other bodyparts twice a week as well and if not why only Chest. Like Kris asked do you feel it is lagging. Even lagging bodyparts don't have to be trained twice a week to make them grow.
True Mac and it's mostly genetics when all is said and done..But, some do respond beter to twice a week training and others do not. I like once a week best..

(#19)
Old
Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold Ronnie Rowland is a splendid one to behold

Default 03-20-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle And Brawn View Post
I would hit chest and shoulders. You want to minimize "pushing" days on a 2 times a week chest routine.

So something like this...

Day 1...Chest, Tris
Day 2...
Day 3...Legs
Day 4...
Day 5...Chest, Shoulders
Day 6...Back, Biceps
Day 7...

Also, you might want to perform 2 different styles of chest workouts. Maybe do a standard bodybuilding style routine on Monday, and then a lower rep style on Friday (more powerlifting style), and throw in speed benches.

Speed Benches are 55-60% of your 1RPM, for 8 sets of 3 reps...with 45 seconds between each. Each rep is EXPLOSIVE...power = additional strength gains = more future muscle.

Just tossing out ideas...doing the same workout twice a week gets tedious...
I like this split a lot!