IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Topic of the Week
Reload this Page Time Off... When, Why, and for How Long?
Topic of the Week Just what it says. Each week we will have a new Topic to discuss. If you have one, feel free to start it.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Time Off... When, Why, and for How Long?
(#1)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default Time Off... When, Why, and for How Long? - 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Did you know that taking a rest from training is actually a critical part of bodybuilding???
After about 12 weeks of hardcore training I like to take a 5 day rest period from all weight training. The benefits are numerous!
The week off is NOT an excuse to slack. There is great importance in taking a rest.
Before I talk about why, let me discuss what happens when you do take a week off weight training.
  • You come back stronger than before
  • You start a growth spurt
  • Your joints feel great
  • You are mentally fresh
  • Your glad about the gym you are currently going to

Notice that you aren't getting stronger but maybe even getting weaker? Your central nervous system needs a break! Most people don't know how to leverage their CNS for heavy training (that's a different story) so they burn it out with heavy singles on the same exercise. A week off will do wonders for your CNS!

Not growing? You will after a week off!!
Your body gets very used to things and it needs to be constantly confused! A week off lets your body reset, and wont be expecting a bombardment a week after resting! You will actually grow very well during your week off.

Give your joints time to heal!
This is a great way to avoid injuries. Let some joints and tendons heal awhile. When they do you will be stronger!

Take a mental break!
This is a great added benefit from letting your body rest! It doesn't seem like you need a mental break right now, but after a week from the gym you will know exactly what I am talking about. You will be sooo lit to workout and so mentally fresh that it will have a long lasting positive effect on your training!

Sick of your gym and looking for a new one lately?
I recently took a week off from the gym and when I came back to my gym I was like "Dang this place is the bomb!!" We are human, the same faces, the same scene...it annoys us.

Now I didnt say taking a week off is easy! This is actually very difficult to do, and I am sure for those that take breaks, you know what I mean. You want to get back into the gym as fast as possible.
Just remember all the reasons why you are taking a week off. Consider it "active rest" knowing that it is a very productive thing to do for your training!!

NOW REMEMBER......
it is a week off to rest your body and mind. So relax, spend time with your family, have fun, sleep alot, and try to do things that will benefit your body and mind. Get a massage, spend extra time in a jacuzzi, get some sun, sleep in, limit caffiene, read a good book, etc.!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert

Last edited by TimM; 11-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.