IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Your Community > I値l Pump You Up Q & A
Reload this Page Need some guidance, can anyone help?
I値l Pump You Up Q & A This special section is dedicated to answering all your questions. Diet, training, supplements, and any other questions will be answered here by our writers and staff at I値lPumpYouUp.com!

Need some guidance, can anyone help?
(#1)
Old
c0yled0tc0m is on a distinguished road

Default Need some guidance, can anyone help? - 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM

New to the forums guys, and glad to be here. Got some questions, but I'll start with this.

I just recently started P90X, had started it before after doing insanity for 2 rounds of decent results. Had a injury and had to put it on hold. I'm a week back into the program and going for broke. Im struggling with my diet, but I know that's on me. I'm using jack3d micro right now, but I'm wondering what else I should introduce to get where I want to be. I'm about 180 lbs. And I'm aiming for a ripped 170. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
(#2)
Old
AA EFX
- B-RAD -
brad1224 is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

its all diet man. whats your diet like?

Obsession is what weaklings call the dedicated, do or die, never give up, if you are not 110 into bodybuilding get the fuck out now, rip it off the floor and lift, IF THE BAR AINT BENDING YOUR JUST PRETENDING!

AAEFX Rep

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
(#3)
Old
AA EFX
- B-RAD -
brad1224 is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM

its all diet man. whats your diet like?

Obsession is what weaklings call the dedicated, do or die, never give up, if you are not 110 into bodybuilding get the fuck out now, rip it off the floor and lift, IF THE BAR AINT BENDING YOUR JUST PRETENDING!

AAEFX Rep

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
(#4)
Old

Default 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM

I really want to say it's clean, but thats not 100% true. I get overruled all the time when it comes to food/dinner and whatnot. I eat egg whites instead of eggs, removed abot 80% of the butter/spread from meals and try to stay away from sweets/junk. I get no support in my house which makes it hard.

I'm more or less hoping to reach my protein intake daily, and I cut all soda and recently coffee out as well, I love ice water so that's all I drink. Feel like I'm just missing something, and I find of feel like it's protein.
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM

Give us a sample of what you eat in a couple of days from breakfast all the way to dinner.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#6)
Old

Default 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM

I will post it tonight after I actually eat my meals for the day, thanks for the help
(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM

No problem. Like brad stated a big part of this is diet. But don't be discouraged . You can still see results from having a good workout program especially a good resistance training program. Cardio is jut not going to cut it in the long run. Your body will adapt quickly to just cardio. where strength training will not allow you to adapt.

(#8)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Ok, so there are some slight variations, but here is what a couple days of eating looks like

Day 1
Meal 1: 2 egg whites 1 whole egg, serving of fruit
Meal 2: 1 slice whole wheat bread with tbs PB
Meal 3: chicken salad w/o bread, yoplait Greek yogurt
Meal 4: 3 oz string cheese
Meal 5: whatever we are having for dinner, but I try to remove all the junk I can

Day 2
Meal 1: whole grain rolled oats w/ 2 tbs. PB
Meal 2: banana
Meal 3: tuna salad w/ light mayo
Meal 4: 1 whole wheat bread slice w/ PB
Meal 5: same as above

I drink water all day, maybe a cup of decaf coffee in the am and sometimes a cup of milk with dinner but not often. I've noticed a slight difference on the scale in just 2 weeks. But I feel like there is a hole there. I know I need about a gram of protein per lb but I don't see how I can meet that and still burn the fat I want to.
(#9)
Old

Default 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
No problem. Like brad stated a big part of this is diet. But don't be discouraged . You can still see results from having a good workout program especially a good resistance training program. Cardio is jut not going to cut it in the long run. Your body will adapt quickly to just cardio. where strength training will not allow you to adapt.
I know what your saying there, my workout schedule looks like this

Mon: chest/back
Tue: plyometrics (cardio)
Wed: shoulders/arms
Thurs: yoga (don't care for it but it's part of the program)
Fri: legs/back
Sat: cardio
Sun: off
Keep in mind I started this venture at 5'9" 200 lbs., but I want to learn more and take it further. I've got a log I'm going to post, just got to get it together. I just feel like I can't get rid of the fat, its frustrating

Last edited by c0yled0tc0m; 08-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.
(#10)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0yled0tc0m View Post
I really want to say it's clean, but thats not 100% true. I get overruled all the time when it comes to food/dinner and whatnot. I eat egg whites instead of eggs, removed abot 80% of the butter/spread from meals and try to stay away from sweets/junk. I get no support in my house which makes it hard.

I'm more or less hoping to reach my protein intake daily, and I cut all soda and recently coffee out as well, I love ice water so that's all I drink. Feel like I'm just missing something, and I find of feel like it's protein.
You're missing a lot of things, but mainly fat. Don't chuck egg yolks out; these are up there with the most nutrient dense foods available and with a good n3 and n6 ratio.

Don't feel you have to eat five times a day either. Two or three meals is plenty, our ancestors (the cavemen) were naturally more muscular and stronger than us. And they would have to wait until food was hunted and readily available.

Protein is important, but you don't need as much as you might think. A gram per pound of Lean mass is plenty. I get away with much less!

I'd be working at getting a solid food staple down rather than worrying about macros, calories and such like. Include foods like; Whole eggs, cheese, full fat dairy, liver/offal, beef, washed white rice etc...

Supplement wise, just get a couple of strong B complex caps down you.

That's just my two cents anyway.

Last edited by cra_training_zy; 08-02-2013 at 05:53 PM.
(#11)
Old

Default 08-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input man, I really appreciate it all. I am really interested in one thing though. I know that the yolks of eggs are where the fats are, but why do solo many people push the egg whites? I actually like to do a two whites to one yolk for the taste. And you really think I should go to all that dairy while trying to get my body fat down some more? I will def. Try that, and see how it works. Thanks again for your input
(#12)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 08-03-2013, 04:19 AM

People in this game will allow themselves to be duped by magazine articles (which is a very dangerous thing) and will take it for gospel without doing research of their own.

Hence why you end up with so many ridiculous claims and hearsay; like you shouldn't eat fat and you should eat silly amounts of carbs; usually low Gi, and it's all crap.

Unless you have a dairy intolerance then go right ahead with dairy. The sugar in milk (Lactose) isn't used the same as a sugar in say, a fruit gum. It's broken down in the body into glucose (which all food does) and galactose. Both of which are quite important and actually, pound for pound, milk is still quite low in sugar at 50g per litre! (English measurement sorry!)

A food like cheese would be perfect for you. It's low carb, full of protein and fat and let's face it, it tastes pretty good. Foods higher in fat will naturally fill you up for longer, as they don't spike insulin to ridiculous levels. In fact, it's very hard to gorge on high fat foods, but I'm sure you'll agree it's very easy to fill up on carbs.

Fats are our friend, especially saturated fat. When you get a minute check out this post I wrote a while ago; http://forum.illpumpyouup.com/showthread.php?t=15348

Also, this is worth a read to; https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...uf-RA3tjENQyDQ
(#13)
Old

Default 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Well I do eat cheese in moderation, or did until recently. And honestly I'm just plain confused by the rest of it all. I started eating 5 smaller meals during the day than 3 large ones, and I lost alot of the fat I had. Had an injury and had a hard time coming back from it. According to the things I've found and read I need to take about 2400 calories a day in, but from the minute I get a workout in I am STARVING for the rest of the day, so I'm just confused and trying to fill the gaps or curb the appetite.
(#14)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM

even if you are going the 5 meal a day low fat you can see progress but where the tide turning starts is what are you really losing.

The calorie restrictive diet allows for weight loss but at what cost ? The cost is lean muscle tissue.

Upping your fat ( saturated fat) not trans fats and lowering your over all carb consumption will preserve lean muscle tissue. The changes are a little slower but in the long run more beneficial to over all health .

When we talk about taking junk out we talk about processed foods. The less processed foods the better. Natural foods have or carbs have fiber and this is one of the factors that people don't pay attention to.

any type of bread is processed Remember that.

Long duration cardio that does not make the heart rate go is useless. Cardio that makes you breath hard and heart rate speed up will make the muscle work twice as hard and even after you stop and will continue to burn calories for hours .

This is why I preach resistance training. RT will burn more calories in the long run and protect lean muscle tissue. There is nothing wrong with Yoga it is good for stretching and keeping injuries at bay. It also burns alot of calories so Yoga in my opinion is excellent.

Anything can work but what works best or rather what bang for your buck do you get

I think Lower Carb diets with healthy fats and Resistance Training is one of the best ways to preserve hard earned muscle and in the long run is a little bit healthier than calorie restrictive diets. The more good fats you eat the more fuller you will feel and you will actually eat less of other foods like carbs because the hormone ghrelin is surpressed. When larger portions of Carbs are present in the body Ghrelin is stimulated and insulin levels are spiked and will actually make you crave more carb type foods.

Don't be confused by it all just remember to get the basics down first, and to me the basics is to make sure you resistance train. This alone can cure alot of diet problems out their. Slowly become more strict with diet after you have gotten used to the heavy resistance training . It is not a cure all but nothing is fast when doing this. Enjoy the adventure of learning about your diet and healthy lifestyle.

(#15)
Old

Default 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks Mac, appreciate the feedback!

I do like yoga, don't get me wrong...it's just hard to have 90 mins to fit it in some days. As far as the diet issue is concerned, I try to do my best to stay away from processed stuff. I have never really cared for it anyway, but my girl stays cooking those quick and easy pasta sides and pretty much anything pasta. Trying to get non processed things in my house is like pulling teeth.

As far as RT, I agree with you. I ran a intense cardio program for a while and it just stopped giving me results, although I really do enjoy it and had incredible stamina and endurance gains. The program I am running now changes alot RT wise so at the end of this week I have a recovery week then my RT training switches up. I really do appreciate everyones input alot and thanks for all the help. I will try to post a before picture and then post and after to see if anyone else notices the changes.
(#16)
Old

Default 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks Mac, appreciate the feedback!

I do like yoga, don't get me wrong...it's just hard to have 90 mins to fit it in some days. As far as the diet issue is concerned, I try to do my best to stay away from processed stuff. I have never really cared for it anyway, but my girl stays cooking those quick and easy pasta sides and pretty much anything pasta. Trying to get non processed things in my house is like pulling teeth.

As far as RT, I agree with you. I ran a intense cardio program for a while and it just stopped giving me results, although I really do enjoy it and had incredible stamina and endurance gains. The program I am running now changes alot RT wise so at the end of this week I have a recovery week then my RT training switches up. I really do appreciate everyones input alot and thanks for all the help. I will try to post a before picture and then post and after to see if anyone else notices the changes.
(#17)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Here is another thought on how you could eat those carbs at night and it will turn that into muscle. Look into Carb Back loading. Depending on how much weight or I should say fat loss you want. Carb Back loading is an excellent way to loose fat and still eat carbs. Just Go ultra low carb all day long resistance train in the afternoon then eat your carbs at night.

On the cardio program for stamina and endurance there is nothing wrong with doing cardio for that. I do that myself. I've started doing cardio 4 to 5 times a week again. Simply put it just burns extra fat in the long run. I too want more stamina for what I want out of it. Deer season is coming up and it will require a lot of walking .

I look at it this way too. The cardio is not going to hurt if you have a desk job. You sit all day and that 45 minute training session and 30 minute cardio session is only going to help. When you have a sedentary job you have to make yourself more active so the end of the day we train hard to kinda counter balance sitting all day get those muscle firing on all cylinders so to speak and get that heart rate up.

It really is all about overall health.

RickB has a great diet as well that I'm going to try to do more of. Just eat more of the raw materials at night as can.

(#18)
Old

Default 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM

That makes sense, the only question I have to respond to that is this.

Are my numbers on the scale going to flucuate alot up and down? I've gone down and up a few lbs. And don't really feel like I'm losing what I was hoping to. Last time I ran any type of training schedule it took about a month to see anything numbers dropping wise but its about there again and Its not really going anywhere
(#19)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Are you seeing changes in your clothes and or in the mirror.

Don't trust that scale at all.

(#20)
Old

Default 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM

I have seen a change in clothes, that's a def. And the mirror It kind of seems like a day to day thing. I catch myself in the mirror some days and I'm like "nice " and other days it isn't the same. Maybe I'm just being critical... I know that I'm making serious improvements, but I also feel like the stronger I get the more body fat I have and getting rid of the bodyfat is more important to me at the moment. I'm down with making muscle gains of course, who here isnt? I guess I'm just more hoping to get to the look good quicker and make the gains after the fact.

Last edited by c0yled0tc0m; 08-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.