IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Submit Your Own Articles!
Reload this Page How hard do you really train
Submit Your Own Articles! Write an article on any fitness or nutrition topic and share it with the world!

How hard do you really train
(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default How hard do you really train - 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM

How many of us really train hard. I mean we go into the gym have a set workout we think out. Some follow a path with the same thing day in and day out without thinking that the body has to have some kind of change. Most of us just go through the motions with the same amount of weight and reps. Without ever trying to beat the weight or reps.

If you want to "Win" in the gym you should strive to beat each weeks numbers in weight and or reps. This will tell you if you have progressed. If you stay with the same weight week in and week out. You are doing nothing. Some people are scared to take the extra step in stepping up their workout. I mean doing crazy stuff break the rules , Now I'm not talking about doing inverted leg presses on the smith machine but doing stuff like giant sets, rest pause sets. I bet none of you ever went one week doing a rep scheme like this : Don't count a single rep until it starts hurting. No Pain No Gain. By hurting I mean when you feel the muscle burning lactic acid shooting into the muscle. Don't even count until then and do your same amount of sets this way. Hell, you may do 15 reps on a given exercise but you can only count the reps until it hurts and for most that is going to be at number 8 or 9 when you are going 15 reps and going heavy enough. Try this and see if your "HARDCORE" enough.

I hear all these people talk about hardcore exercising. But I've yet to see many that damn near fall on the ground or walk away muscles burning so bad you feel like punching the wall because you have hit that Mark. Do some crazy stuff if you want to grow. Lets see how hardcore you really are. Don't worry about putting it on Facebook no one is gonna care. But it will care to you because deep inside you will know you gave everything you got. Most people spend to much time in the gym working out thinking a one hour workout is "HARDCORE" I can get you throwing up in less than 20 minutes with some of the stuff I've learned over the years and the way we still train to this day. Now I'm not bragging far from it. I love to see people working hard in the gym. I realize not everyone is going to be able to do these things but for those that like going around thinking they are HARDCORE. Please give me a break. I'm 41 Joints are full of arthritis and I'm overweight but I still workout harder in one workout than most 20 year olds. Why because I know what works and what does not work and going through the motions does not work. You want more bang for your buck. Up the intensity of your workouts and you will see tremendous gains. I'm tired of seeing guys complain about they are not growing not getting stronger. Then friend you are doing something wrong. Be willing to change it up. Be willing to fail at something. Be willing to understand you are not superman, but realize deep down inside you there is a monster waiting to get out and those weights will not push you back to earth. Learn to fight gravity and think you are stronger. Most people don't get stronger because they simply just don't think strong. Your mind is the ultimate muscle.

Lets break some rules

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM

How hard do I train? I don't know... But I do get very, very upset with myself if I perform badly. And when I hit a PB It's matter of fact now.. I just get on with it.

I'm never pleased and I have a habit of beating myself up. I guess it's just passion for what I do. A mate of mine has always said that looking awesome is the bi-product of training awesome and that's always been the sentiments I've shared too.

If I'm in the gym, you're going to know about it. I'm either talking to myself before a set, or grunting in frustration. All that matters to me when I'm that gym is maximum effort on my part and focus. I couldn't give a rats ass what I look like.
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM

This is great Mac!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#4)
Old
c0yled0tc0m is on a distinguished road

Default 08-20-2013, 05:39 AM

Ouch, this kind of hurts a little bit...feels directed in my direction. Lol, just kidding...kind of anyway.

I traing at home right now for many reasons, and I'm mildly limited in how much weight I'm throwing up and my schedule I'm running for the program I'm doing. But I hear what your saying, and I've seen it before. I know two people outside of this forum who actually go hard at what they do in the gym and it works for them. Me, my chest workouts are all max rep pushup exercises right now, but they are killer, and they are doing what I want them to do. I guess it's just a mattress of personal preference, but if you gonna talk the talk, I guess you should walk the walk huh? Sounds like a challenge is in order.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-20-2013, 05:39 AM

Ouch, this kind of hurts a little bit...feels directed in my direction. Lol, just kidding...kind of anyway.

I traing at home right now for many reasons, and I'm mildly limited in how much weight I'm throwing up and my schedule I'm running for the program I'm doing. But I hear what your saying, and I've seen it before. I know two people outside of this forum who actually go hard at what they do in the gym and it works for them. Me, my chest workouts are all max rep pushup exercises right now, but they are killer, and they are doing what I want them to do. I guess it's just a mattress of personal preference, but if you gonna talk the talk, I guess you should walk the walk huh? Sounds like a challenge is in order.
(#6)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Well, put it this way. No it was not directed at you. ( obviously I don't know you that well to know your workout routine or how hard you push yourself. )

But... It is directed toward anyone who boasts about how hardcore they are in a gym and you see they are not as hardcore as they think they are. Not even mildly so.

Hell I'm sure I'm not as hardcore as some other out there. what's the old expression someone somewhere is bigger and badder than you comes to mind.

I do pride myself on hard ass workouts. Not being able to barely walk out of the gym when we are through doing legs or feeling spent after doing chest back and arms.

You ( everyone I'm talking too) gauge your own workouts. You yourself are the only one that can up the level so to speak. Yeah you can have a trainer or a workout partner help but you yourself have to look deep inside you and see what you want out of this.

I honestly believe people that workout and exercise are better prepared for the stress of the world much better than someone who does not workout.

It really does not matter how much weight you throw around. As long as you know you have given all you have to each workout. Then that is how you build on this. It is up to the individual. If you want something bad enough work hard for it and not a single person in this world can take it away from you not a one.

I will tell you one of my main faults that I'm working on and that is my diet and staying strict enough with it to actually see major changes. If I can get this down then those stars will line up and I honestly believe something great will happen but until then I'm just Mediocre in my mind. I want to be more than that. That is what other guys have on my. I don't feel I have the strength to eat what is right all the time. If I can only get that snow ball going down hill and not have it stopped then I think I'm okay. But that takes a good support system and sometimes I don't always have that. Sound familiar ???

I have to take the responsibility on myself and say I know you guys ( family ) love me but I have this in my mind and I have to do this for my health. This is my thinking It may be weird or backward but sometimes I think the harder I train in the gym it will make up for it when I workout in the kitchen or at the table, but that is not the case. I have to do both.

One of my biggest downfalls is I'm a pretty good cook. I don't say the word chef but I could. I like to eat. I like making different things. see where I'm coming from.

So alot of you that have problems you are not alone. I'm just like you and have the same problems. But I know how to push limits in the gym. I know how to get the most out of my workouts. It's just kinda automatic now.

We live in a society where companies want you to be sick so they make millions on drugs. we live where 90% of our food is processed and sold quick to make a dollar. We live where people want it fast and not have to work hard . They always want to be rewarded. Our gyms are sort of our temples our refuge away from the rest of the world .

(#7)
Old

Default 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Mac, you have to be one of the deepest, well spoken people I have come in contact with in a long time. And I really didn't take it as personal, more as motivation. I too like to eat...ALOT! And I also appreciate good food in a way like you. So it's weird that this post comes at this time in my life, because as you know I've been in that same crossroads myself.

The diet will come though, I've got mine down 80% now thanks to everyone at IPYU that has put in there 2 cents on my threads. Alot of that was you, and I appreciate that so much.

As for the workouts, if your not pushing yourself...that's one you(whoever makes te beastmode claim) because I know that feeling where it takes me 10 minutes to get my jello legs up the stairs after legs and can barely push my kids on the swings after arms.

I want that beach body so bad it hurts, but if I never get it I will still keep pushing it in every workout and outlive anybody and everybody in the McDonalds drive through because I want to.

Nice article Mac, very well put and thanks for yet another awesome push!
(#8)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM

No problem that is what I'm here for. Keep pushing you will get there. It really gets me excited to see people become passionate about working out.

(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Mac, Im with ya brother!!! I actually learned this from Mek. I used to just do my 8 reps and haul ass. I worked out with Mek a while back and after we had done several reps on a lot of other exercises we finished with 4 sets of 25 reps...I was freekin jacked!!!!! So ever since then and I love that feeling I started doing my workouts in that sort of fashion. My partner and I usually pick 2 or 3 exercises and do 12-15 reps depending on the weight, exercise and or weight. and we do 3 sets and never break, move on to the next set of exercises and then 4 sets of 25 on the last 2 or 3 exercises..
About 20-30 minutes we are trying are asses off not to puke!!! This is of course as we watch people in the gym before we get there and after we leave that still hasn't even broken a sweat...

Very well put Mac!!

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#10)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM

That's what I'm talking about. It becomes a feel. You learn to know what to expect to get the most out of it.

Nice.

(#11)
Old
jfranklin is on a distinguished road

Default 09-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Mac,

I know there are days when I'm not feeling it, especially when if I don't have a partner for that day. I just don't push myself as hard as I should. It does help to have someone pushing me and encouraging me to go bigger and do more.

I guess my lesson is to always find a partner to workout with.