Knee pain is not fun. The pain stinks but worse than the pain is the inability to use your knees for things you would like to use them for- like cardio or lifting.
We always hear about R.I.C.E. or now what they call the P.R.I.C.E. treatment. I am sure you can guess what the hardest part of the treatment is right? Yep..... REST. I don't want to rest. I need my knees healthy NOW.
The ice is good initially after an injury but I use it ice alot after workouts and cardio injury or not. I like to use heat to draw blood into an area that is hard to get blood into. Compression? Never really used it too much, but elevation I have used in conjuction with ice when my knees (especially my right knee) are swollen or sore.
WHAT I LOVE BEST about P.R.I.C.E. is the protection part!
I use knee braces all the time. Sturdy ones with velcro. Nothing too intense that makes me look like the bionic man, or a mechanical knee, but something that supports my knee and is easy to put on. Like this:
I use a very sturdy one while doing heavy pressing movements, and I use knee sleeves when I do alot of cardio like basketball or skateboarding.
Alot of guys don't want to wear a brace because they think it looks bad. You have to get over that quickly. Lee Haney use to use very sturdy knee braces while training quads, even for leg extensions. I see pros using knee braces instead of wraps these days too. Watch an NBA game and you will see that probably 6 out of 10 players have some form of knee brace.
Here are some recommendations for those battling knee pain and to help prevent a knee injury:
1. Get knee braces and USE them
2. Double bag (use can use grocery bags) ice and ice your knees right after leg workouts and cardio BEFORE inflammation begins to prevent it
3. Becareful of lateral movements
4. Get the correct shoes. Landing in hard on the knees. Gel inserts help.
5. Don't use too much Ibuprofen. You need some inflammation. Ibuprofen can block enzymes that help repair your knees.
6. Know when to take a break from certian exercises that aggrevate your knees.
If you have any other ideas please share!!!