IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page Knee Pain and Injury Prevention
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

Knee Pain and Injury Prevention
(#1)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default Knee Pain and Injury Prevention - 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Knee pain is not fun. The pain stinks but worse than the pain is the inability to use your knees for things you would like to use them for- like cardio or lifting.
We always hear about R.I.C.E. or now what they call the P.R.I.C.E. treatment. I am sure you can guess what the hardest part of the treatment is right? Yep..... REST. I don't want to rest. I need my knees healthy NOW.
The ice is good initially after an injury but I use it ice alot after workouts and cardio injury or not. I like to use heat to draw blood into an area that is hard to get blood into. Compression? Never really used it too much, but elevation I have used in conjuction with ice when my knees (especially my right knee) are swollen or sore.
WHAT I LOVE BEST about P.R.I.C.E. is the protection part!
I use knee braces all the time. Sturdy ones with velcro. Nothing too intense that makes me look like the bionic man, or a mechanical knee, but something that supports my knee and is easy to put on. Like this:

I use a very sturdy one while doing heavy pressing movements, and I use knee sleeves when I do alot of cardio like basketball or skateboarding.
Alot of guys don't want to wear a brace because they think it looks bad. You have to get over that quickly. Lee Haney use to use very sturdy knee braces while training quads, even for leg extensions. I see pros using knee braces instead of wraps these days too. Watch an NBA game and you will see that probably 6 out of 10 players have some form of knee brace.
Here are some recommendations for those battling knee pain and to help prevent a knee injury:
1. Get knee braces and USE them
2. Double bag (use can use grocery bags) ice and ice your knees right after leg workouts and cardio BEFORE inflammation begins to prevent it
3. Becareful of lateral movements
4. Get the correct shoes. Landing in hard on the knees. Gel inserts help.
5. Don't use too much Ibuprofen. You need some inflammation. Ibuprofen can block enzymes that help repair your knees.
6. Know when to take a break from certian exercises that aggrevate your knees.

If you have any other ideas please share!!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Animal Flex.

MY knees are beat from skateboarding and BMX riding in my earlier years. After 10 hour shifts at work, I had to get home and put my legs up and rest because they hurt so bad..

Ive been using Flex for 3 weeks now and what a difference!!! My Knees never hurt after work, and even after a sick Leg day I can still be pain free, moments after leaving the gym!

Def. worth the $25.oo ish to try it out!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#3)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeef View Post
Animal Flex.

MY knees are beat from skateboarding and BMX riding in my earlier years. After 10 hour shifts at work, I had to get home and put my legs up and rest because they hurt so bad..

Ive been using Flex for 3 weeks now and what a difference!!! My Knees never hurt after work, and even after a sick Leg day I can still be pain free, moments after leaving the gym!

Interesting! Might have to add it to my "to try" list!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Good info. Cold therapy is always good for anything swollen.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 09-08-2011, 12:16 AM

Def. worth it Rick, I just ordered my next can!!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBeef View Post
Animal Flex.

On the list..thanks brother beefster

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM

Here is a another tip on knee pain....

Don't let it go to long. In the type of sports where we are in internal pressure on the knee is almost always going to happen do to doing things like squats hack squats and cardio in general. Make sure you always have good shoes if you are an avid runner. I know no one really wants to hear this but an avid runner can go through a pair of shoes in about 2 months. Shoes are only good for a certain amount of time so keeping a good pair of shoes can help lessen the inflammation in the knee and ankles.

Think of your Knee as the shock absorber on the front fork of a Mountain bike. This is what the knee does. Lessen shock throughout the leg when force is applied IE. Running exercising ETC......

Just FYI.

there are alot of other parts of the knee that work as a whole and can be injured so the basic thing to say here is take care of them.

Believe me I'm going through this right now and have to have a scope on my knee and probably the other one as well.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#8)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Yeah shoes are critical too. Especially for playing sports on concrete. Lunges, front squats, and hack squats are very very hard on my knees.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#9)
Old
Banned
jack3d14 is on a distinguished road

Default 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Good info. I would add fishoil and glucosamine supplementation. Those seem to help me.