IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Submit Your Own Articles!
Reload this Page Belt it out From Flex Magazine.
Submit Your Own Articles! Write an article on any fitness or nutrition topic and share it with the world!

(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-23-2006, 07:53 PM

Posted: 6/25/2006 at 12:52am | IP 137.220.40.84

How many of you use a lifting belt. Used to a long time ago almost everyone used a belt when lifting. Many bodybuilders today do not use lifting belts. A recent study found that 27% of gym goers use a belt.

Perhaps this is due to the common advice that personal trainers and other spout regarding lifting belts: You should'nt wear oneit can cause you to develop a weaker core.

However,no research supports these claims. In fact, a multitude of studies have been done on lifting belts, and almost all conclude that they offer some benefit.

A study that looked at abdominal activty during deadlifts performed with a lifting belt decreased oblique muscle activity, it increased the activity of the abdominals. Another probe reported that the use of a lifting belt during squats increased the activity of the spinal erectors by 23%.

These studiessuggest that a lifting belt does not likely compromise core strength development.

Investigations have also found that lifting belts increase the interabdominal pressure in the body. This helps to better stablize the spine and reduce compression of the intervertebral discs, as confirmed by studies that looked into this directly

One research effort found that compression of the intervertebral discs following a weight workout was reduced by 50% when subjects used a lifting belt. This means that a belt can help better support the spine, which not only helps reduce the risk of injury but also equates to greater strength when lifting. In fact, on study found that wnen lifters performed a squat with a belt on, they had greater muscle activity of the quads nad hamstrings. Another found that when subjects squatted while wearing a lifting belt, they were able to perform reps faster throughout the positive portion of the lift, which means increased power.

Considering all of the benefits of wearing a belt you may want to find yours and dust it off. Using your belt wisely can help protect your back,increase strength and power and possibly help you add more muscle mass. The key is knowing when to use you lifting belt.

Don't use a belt on seated or lying exercises.or for warm up sets. Use your belt for exercises that load the spine such as squats and deadlifts, and exercises where you must bend at the waist.

From Flex Magazine From Lab to gym Belt it out.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Troy1982 is a jewel in the rough

Default 06-24-2006, 07:57 AM

I use a belt on deads and squats when I go heavy.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.
(#3)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 07-01-2006, 08:03 AM

I use a belt for squats, dead lifts, standing strait bar curls, and standing military press.
I do core exercises but my lower back feels better and I am more flexible for Martial Arts when I use the belt.
I too quit using the belt for a while but after reading some of Mac’s post I gave the belt a try. It has helped with recovery from dead lifts, (I don’t get a sore lower back any more.)
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />
I know a couple of serious power lifters and they all use a belt.
KICKBOY

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#4)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 07-01-2006, 01:26 PM

i just bought a new one from nike,its wide in the back and drops down in the middle and is very rigid. i use it on deadlifts except for the last time i did them and paid the price. never again.

Controlled labs supps.
(#5)
Old
...has GOT Strong!

Anabolic Addiction
getstrong is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-04-2006, 08:50 AM

Long time no hear from. I am a big supporter of the lifting belt. I feel stronger and more secure with my belt. As kickboy mentioned, I wear my belt eachtime I train. I do not feel the belt is a result of any weak areas within me. It has prevented some.