IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page Chest Training
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

Chest Training
(#1)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default Chest Training - 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Lets face it, out of all the bodyparts, most people are most concerned with building a big chest. I was reading an article by Jay Cutler where he said he is STILL trying to get his chest catch up with the rest of his body. A well developed chest is one of the first things bodybuilding judges see. First thing a lot of people see. Unfortunately there are alot of people out there that have a very hard time building pec muscles. I want to start this thread and sticky it so we can collaborate the best advice possible so none of our forum members will have to deal with this issue. So tell me.......what has helped you develop your chest muscles????

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 08-03-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't really have anything to offer because I see myself as lacking there, but will definitely keep my eye on this. I'm anxious to see what this volume training will do for me on this 6 wk run. Good post Tim and looking forward to hearing what some might say.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM

Agreed, That is my problem as well....shoulder is bad so I am hitting it at a different angle...I will be watching this thread for sure..Thanks Tim

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#4)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 08-03-2011, 10:16 AM

For me, just like many many others, chest development has been a struggle. You mention Jay's discontent, i can also add Kai Greene in that catergory also. I remember hearing him express the fact that he needs to bring his chest up also.

I have tried all types of exercises and routines but what i have found to be the most productive for me is high volume. I begin doing advanced FST-7 routines and the amount of blood that is pumped into the muscle after one of those routines is amazing!

I am now supersetting Chest and Back at an high tempo to try and add overall mass to my upperbody. That has been effective IMO. I'm seeing an increase in size from my upper chest all the way to my lower lats. My only issue with this is once you've seen your chest truly inflate from those FST-7 routines, anything less will be kinda disappointing.

Great thread Timmy!

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM

I know there is so much debate on the Bench Press, but that is still a staple in a good developed chest. Just like squats and deadlifts. You can grow doing other stuff but Bench Press and Incline Barbell Press build more mass than any other chest movement. I've never ever seen in my 25 year plus carrier of someone building a massive chest just doing Dumbells and machines. It is just not going to happen.

Now as far as hitting it from different angles that is a different . I believe the body really adapts to certain exercises over a period of time but the basic compound movements need to stay in the program. Reason: They build more than just muscle they build endurance in the stabilizer muscles and make the other secondary muscles work in conjunction with the core muscle you are training.

In my opinion and over the years seen that a good time to switch up an exercise is about once a month ( but keeping the compound movements in)

Genetics is also going to play a major role on how developed your chest is too.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#6)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Bench is a staple like Mac said but i want to add that going bench crazy won't get you that chest you've been dreaming of. Going bench crazy will only get you a torn pec or shoulder surgery. Try to keep heavy benching to once a wk if not once every other week.

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Where people go wrong with Bench is to heavy to often. Improper form and letting their ego get the best of them.

Bench Press is like the dead lift. It can make you stronger or hurt you.

Thanks for pointing that out Emeka.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#8)
Old

Smile 08-04-2011, 09:29 AM

These are good posts! Okay here is what I have found. First. The flat bench press (for me and alot of others) is the most overrated chest exercise ever. There are alot of pros that refuse to do them. I was talking to Art Atwood (one of the biggest chests in IFBB) one day and he told me he hasn't done flat bench in years. I agree with Mac in that people abuse it and go way to heavy on it. I only burn out on flats and only in the Smith.Second, this is a great thing to remember when training chest. You either have long arms or short arms. Ever notice how alot of these pros train chest. Watch a video of Ronnie. They only go 3/4 of the way up. I have seriously long arms and this little technique works great for me. Here are the things that work great for me that you might want to try to see if it works for you
1. Higher reps- 10-15 (too heavy and your body resorts to shoulders too much)
2. Lots of volume (I do Arnold type volume)
3. I never ever lock out and only go 3/4 the way up to keep tension in chest
4. Dips are awesome!!!!!!!!
5. I do chest 2 times a week with at least 3 days rest in between them
Hope this might help someone!
Here is a link to one of the BEST videos on Chest training that I highly recommend watching from IFBB Pro Brandon Curry.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG_zzsZr_DY"]‪Brandon Curry- Chest‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Best way to build your chest is volume training. Everyone's been on a bench where you're tearing up the weight till you hit that last rep where the bar just doesn't move anymore (or db's). Listen to your body, and likely you'll hear it saying, my pecs could do more but my arms just gave out. I don't care who you are, you're arms will always give out doing presses before your chest does. Moderate yet challenging weight plus high volume will give you the size you want.

I've learned this both by doing it and from talking to a few guys with their pro cards.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#10)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
Best way to build your chest is volume training. Everyone's been on a bench where you're tearing up the weight till you hit that last rep where the bar just doesn't move anymore (or db's). Listen to your body, and likely you'll hear it saying, my pecs could do more but my arms just gave out. I don't care who you are, you're arms will always give out doing presses before your chest does. Moderate yet challenging weight plus high volume will give you the size you want.

I've learned this both by doing it and from talking to a few guys with their pro cards.
Glad to hear you say this since Im running GVT! I might switch over to incline DB pressing though or at least give it a whirl.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#11)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM

db flat bench will always be my strongest exercise...but rick i do love doing incline db presses more than anything else

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#12)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM

IM going straight incline

The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#13)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM

I dunno, but Columbos facial expression on that top Arnold picture is priceless
(#14)
Old

Default 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM

@kris- yeah Franco's face is hilarious.
Believe or not I am not a huge fan of DB incline presses. When I go really heavy I feel like I am taking away from concentrating on chest when I am trying to balance heavy DBs. I like barbell way better!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#15)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM

From an athletic point of view rather than pure bodybuilding I think pushups are under rated. Doing push ups in the morning or at bed time independent of your workout {and on non chest days} adds width definition and strength through endurance. Swimming also makes the chest wide and defined.
Incline bench is a weak point in many lifters and decline IMO is good for your mind {most of us can lift more weight} but is {I think} a less productive move. Over head strength requires work for me to develop.

Flyís most people IMO go too heavy and do not work the full range of motion therefore they never see good separation and serration between the pecs.

I work for a wide lean chest with good separation.

NO MAN BOOBS!!!!

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#16)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 08-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Great point Kicker...I try to do I reps with dumbells and higher weight with the bar for the same reasons...I also do a lot of push-ups just kinda go with the instruction at the academy...

(#17)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearnonebutOne View Post
Great point Kicker...I try to do I reps with dumbells and higher weight with the bar for the same reasons...I also do a lot of push-ups just kinda go with the instruction at the academy...

DB flys definitely have their place. But I prefer machine or cable flys over DB and heres' why. The resistance is the same all the way through the movement. From beginning to end. With DB's, the top of the movement, gravity is not able to provide the resistance at about the last 1/3 of the movement. I realize the stretch at the bottom is probably better with DB's and you can still get good chest work, but I still prefer machine or cable for the reason stated AND my shoulders get mad at me on the bottom of the movement on DB flys.

(#18)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

I Dont do dumbell flys Rick, at ALL...my shoulder aint havin it...I love the cable flys and I have found that if I stand up and walk forward you get the same stretch at the bottom of the movement... I have started doing them with the cables low lifting up and staright across as well as top to bottom..I feel way more blood pump from those than any other chest exercise by far....Key to it is to lock your elbows slightly bent and squeeze like hell paying a LOT of attention to form...

(#19)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM

I was refering to db incline Rick...maybe I mis read or mis-lead ya .....pay attention would ya...geeeeesh

(#20)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearnonebutOne View Post
I was refering to db incline Rick...maybe I mis read or mis-lead ya .....pay attention would ya...geeeeesh
My bad! You'll have to excuse me...remember I am damaged.