IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page Pain in lower left rib cage from leg press
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

Pain in lower left rib cage from leg press
(#1)
Old
ChinchillaMilla is on a distinguished road

Default Pain in lower left rib cage from leg press - 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Hey what's going on everyone? So I have been working out since approx Feb, and haven't missed a day since, I've been lurking the website since I frost introduced myself a while back checking out routines, supplement logs etc. Well today I was doing legs, I got about half way through my workout, when I got to angled leg press, I was lifting moderately heavy 290 plus whatever the sled weighs, and was shooting for 12-15 reps (trying to switch things up for a few Weeks and go lower weight with higher reps.) Anyway back to the point of this post, on my second set, I got to around my 11th rep and brought one rep down too fast too deep, bringing my knees almost to my chest and I felt a pop in my lower left rib cage. I stopped there then tried to do another set and I could still pump then out no problem however, when I tried to bring it down somewhat deep again, pain insued in the general area. So I learned a lesson today... Don't do that lol... Any one have any idea what it may be?. I've googled it & it seems it may be a broken rib or a slipped rib (cartilage issue)?
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM

if it still hurts in a few days see the doc. simple as that.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#3)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

i cracked my rib on the leg press a few years back doin the same thing. just have to let it heal up.

Controlled labs supps.
(#4)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM

could be the serratus? anyway its sounds like an everyday niggle, ive had all sorts of aches and pains and usually the next day there gone. cant immagine it being a broken rib unless you,ve got glass bones.
(#5)
Old
CandyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Default 07-07-2012, 10:12 PM

This happened to my workout partner. Is it painful to take a breath in? If yes broken rib. We're you wearing a belt? First I'd take 800 mg ibuprofen to keep the swelling down. Them id ice it off and on for a few days. Cont your routine to the weight that's comfortable and go see a chiropractor or a good sports massage therapist. If its not broken you
May have a rib that popped out of place. A few trips to the chiropractor will set you straight. It took my partners about two weeks to feel good again. He cont his workouts the entire time just modified our routine to not Effect his back. keep us posted. Good luck.

CG!!
(#6)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM

you dont have to hit the bottom rib hard to crack it with all the weight and your quads being tensed up it dont take much.

Controlled labs supps.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the responses, but anyway yeah i'm pretty sure I cracked it. I have minor discomfort from taking a deep breath, laying on side (which really sucks because I sleep on my side/stomach). Also no I wasn't wearing a belt. Oh well, I think I will just have to work around leg press for a few weeks, its sore but nothing I can't deal with. I'll take your advise, let it heal up for a few weeks and if it still is just as sore I will see a doctor/chiropractor. Maybe I will go see a chiropractor either way on second thought, might as well use my health insurance. I will keep you guys posted, hopefully this heals up quick! :/

Last edited by ChinchillaMilla; 07-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.
(#8)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM

First off great post!

Reason why I say that is because I had the same exact thing happen to me about 3 wks ago. I was doing corner rows using Ronnie weight (bar completely full with 45's) when I felt a pop. I thought it was my seratus but I didn't feel pain in my twisting motion. I knew it wasn't a broken rib because I'd prolly need a hospital visit if that was the case. I actually had no idea what it was or could be but thanks to all the great input here I can now diagnose myself.

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 07-16-2012, 03:04 PM

I myself got a hernia from going to deep with the leg press with too much weight.
(#10)
Old

Default 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPAW View Post
I myself got a hernia from going to deep with the leg press with too much weight.
Yikes Papaw, I guess it can always be worse huh. I suppose that what i get for not checking my ego at the door that day.
But a little update for you guys, I completely skipped leg press this week, I plan on giving leg press a rest until I feel a little bit better. Maybe next week, we will see. The pain has pretty much subsided unless I lay directly on it. However, I was able to resume running again this week with little to no discomfort, winning!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
(#11)
Old
jersmith is on a distinguished road

Default 01-31-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinchillaMilla View Post
Yikes Papaw, I guess it can always be worse huh. I suppose that what i get for not checking my ego at the door that day.
But a little update for you guys, I completely skipped leg press this week, I plan on giving leg press a rest until I feel a little bit better. Maybe next week, we will see. The pain has pretty much subsided unless I lay directly on it. However, I was able to resume running again this week with little to no discomfort, winning!
good to hear that OP yeah giving recovery time for leg is good but If the Lunges and Squats are still working for you (which I'm sure they are), then stick with them.

No outside links here please! - RickB
(#12)
Old
Lauren Gold is on a distinguished road

Default 02-01-2014, 08:12 AM

It is really hard but you must need to check the doctor if it remains. A lot of people suffers from these issues while doing hard workout but we always need to be careful because it can damage the part and it is possible to stay out of the practice that is really painful to stay out of the fitness center.