IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page Lifting weights and headaches
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

Lifting weights and headaches
(#1)
Old
brutepower is on a distinguished road

Default Lifting weights and headaches - 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

Friends,

I experience mild headaches occasionally during the day. They are random with no specific time. Surely not during workouts, but a day after workout, that is the rest day.

I bench pressed relatively heavy last evening (rather extreme). After 5 sets, my eyelids were droopy (sort of like when you are stoned on weed), and right eye became crimson red. In the morning, waking up was difficult somehow and during office hours today, suddenly the same eye started aching and the same side of the head too.

Read on some reputed websites, that oxygen level in brain cells may go down during heavy workouts causing headaches. Also, breathing from the mouth during workouts can lower the amount of oxygen being transferred to brain which can cause headaches.

Solutions provided were lowering intensity of workouts, and breathing strictly using nose during workouts and of course going to the doctor.

Any ideas and solutions??

Thanks
BP

Struggle is optional, pain is inevitable.
(#2)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM

What you read was correct. In doing your extremely heavy workouts you need to space weeks out where you do a deload phase which means you need a week of low intensity workouts.

What most power lifters do is stimulate the nervous system really bad by extreme lifting. the intense straining can cause a rise in blood pressure as well. You need to take all of this into consideration and at the very least schedule your heavy days around lighter days. Most competing power lifters only workout 3 times a week to allow for proper recoup time. hitting the nervous system more than 5 days a week will cause other symptoms such as what you are experiencing.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#3)
Old

Default 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
What you read was correct. In doing your extremely heavy workouts you need to space weeks out where you do a deload phase which means you need a week of low intensity workouts.

What most power lifters do is stimulate the nervous system really bad by extreme lifting. the intense straining can cause a rise in blood pressure as well. You need to take all of this into consideration and at the very least schedule your heavy days around lighter days. Most competing power lifters only workout 3 times a week to allow for proper recoup time. hitting the nervous system more than 5 days a week will cause other symptoms such as what you are experiencing.
Thanks,

I workout 3 days a week on alternate days and rest for 4 days. I follow this schedule keeping in mind what you said about the intense workouts and hitting the nervous system. I was just trying to figure out the reason, I may feel better yesterday. I will keep you posted.

(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM

okay

(#5)
Old

Default 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Hey,

How about keeping a week in a month for low intensity workout? Does it sound good? If yes, which exercises?

Thanks
BP

(#6)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM

that sounds reasonable. that would be a good idea

(#7)
Old

Default 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Treadmills
Cross trainer
Abs

Thats all

Sounds good?

(#8)
Old
ShawnD is on a distinguished road

Default 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM

I also heard somthing about breathing in through your mouth and out your nose can help, or vise versa

OFWGKTA
(#9)
Old
SNS
NomZ is on a distinguished road

Default 06-19-2012, 09:32 PM

If you are blocking (holding your breath through a rep), you will increase internal pressure, which can break capillaries in the eyes/nose/skin. Happen to know your resting blood pressure?

Headaches could be related to extreme muscle tension as well. Do you feel tight day after? Stretch properly?

Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com

All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
(#10)
Old

Default 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
If you are blocking (holding your breath through a rep), you will increase internal pressure, which can break capillaries in the eyes/nose/skin. Happen to know your resting blood pressure?

Headaches could be related to extreme muscle tension as well. Do you feel tight day after? Stretch properly?
I do tend to hold my breath during some reps in the set. That's correct, thanks for pointing out.

(#11)
Old

Default 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks Guys,

I am better now, strictly breathing from nose.

(#12)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM