IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page Partially fractured ribs
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

Partially fractured ribs
(#1)
Old
forceofgreenlabs is a jewel in the rough

Default Partially fractured ribs - 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Hello there IPYU! I have been doing some reading and resting (a lot of resting) on my current predicament and it seems that all I can do is let the fractured ribs heal and either deal with the pain or opt for pain medication. I'm taking anti-inflammatory medication and I really want to get back into working out hard again. However, It hurts a LOT to roll out of bed, it is painful to laugh or cough, and sneezing opened up a new era of pain for me. Of course, I tried going the vicodin route and I was able to swim with mild/moderate pain, but I don't think that oceanic exercise is a great idea now.

Has anyone had this issue before or known anyone that does? Googling 'broken ribs exercise' won't help me out, so please just provide any other insight you can about the situation. Thanks!
(#2)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Maybe I missed this but how did you fracture your ribs.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#3)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Maybe I missed this but how did you fracture your ribs.
Can we skip that part?
(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM

sure

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM

I HAD BRUSED RIBS YEARS AGO, FROM WHAT I GATHERED THEY DON'T REALLY DO ANYTHING FOR THEM EXCEPT LET THEM HEAL. I KNOW THATS NOT WHAT ANYONE WANTS TO HEAR AND CHANCES THEY'VE COME UP WITH A WAY TO DEAL WITH BROKEN RIBS SINCE MY INCIDENT. HOPEFULLY ANYWAY BECAUSE IT HURTS LIKE CRAZY.
TAKE CARE AND I HOPE YOU GET SOME KIND OF RELIEF TILL YOU HEAL.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPAW View Post
I HAD BRUSED RIBS YEARS AGO, FROM WHAT I GATHERED THEY DON'T REALLY DO ANYTHING FOR THEM EXCEPT LET THEM HEAL. I KNOW THATS NOT WHAT ANYONE WANTS TO HEAR AND CHANCES THEY'VE COME UP WITH A WAY TO DEAL WITH BROKEN RIBS SINCE MY INCIDENT. HOPEFULLY ANYWAY BECAUSE IT HURTS LIKE CRAZY.
TAKE CARE AND I HOPE YOU GET SOME KIND OF RELIEF TILL YOU HEAL.
Thanks Papaw. I was hoping to get into the gym and use some machines that isolate the torso and keep the weight lower than normal and lay off pain meds so I can read my body. I went for a swim after taking a Vicodin and felt little pain, but when it wore off.... BOOM! (John Madden voice)
(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM

My wife is a nurse, so I actually learn a decent amount from her. Exercise around any broken bone is not at all recommended. The best thing for it is to let it rest and keep it from moving as much as possible until the pain is minimal without help from meds.

Think of it like this. If you are gluing t sticks together with a slow drying glue...moving them around isn't going to get it done.

*I am not trained or schooled in this area, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
My wife is a nurse, so I actually learn a decent amount from her. Exercise around any broken bone is not at all recommended. The best thing for it is to let it rest and keep it from moving as much as possible until the pain is minimal without help from meds.

Think of it like this. If you are gluing t sticks together with a slow drying glue...moving them around isn't going to get it done.

*I am not trained or schooled in this area, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time.
Sh*t. Rick, this feels like it's not going to be recovered for atleast a few weeks! I know, I know... I gotta do what I gotta do. But this is killing me.

Thanks though, Rick.
(#9)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 07-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceofgreenlabs View Post
Sh*t. Rick, this feels like it's not going to be recovered for atleast a few weeks! I know, I know... I gotta do what I gotta do. But this is killing me.

Thanks though, Rick.
I know brother! Sometimes we have to face news that we least want to hear. But really it's a small amount of time in the big picture. But that doesn't help right now...does it
(#10)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM

WO, SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT NEED TO TAKE A REST BROTHER.
(#11)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM

I just was coming off of a rest period
(#12)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Time for another
(#13)
Old
Ripper is on a distinguished road

Default 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Hope you get better man.
(#14)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks Ripper. It seems like if I do what I'm supposed to, I'll be disabled for atleast 3 weeks. I'll be jabbing slin pins with GHRP into myself. I need the gym. To hell with that, I need activity. Dammit. Enough of me expressing myself here. I'm just very VERY angry. This puts a damper on things.
(#15)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 07-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Keep your chin up Kyle! Things could be worse....truly.
(#16)
Old
Ripper is on a distinguished road

Default 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ripper. It seems like if I do what I'm supposed to, I'll be disabled for atleast 3 weeks. I'll be jabbing slin pins with GHRP into myself. I need the gym. To hell with that, I need activity. Dammit. Enough of me expressing myself here. I'm just very VERY angry. This puts a damper on things.
3 weeks isn't anything, time will fly by just keep positive and focus on other things.

atleast it isn't forever.
(#17)
Old

Default 07-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Yeah, I know... I have been hitting the gym sporadically for the past month though. This will mark 2 months of no cardio, 1 month of crappy workouts, and 1 month of nothing.
(#18)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Can we skip that part?
haha its like that time i was drunk and attacked by 5 rabid dogs. (i actually just fell into a bush and couldnt get out)

about your question........ i know hart18 and omaha are skilled in physical therapy/rehabilitation. maybe they would get on here and give you some ideas.

sounds like your best off taking a major break though
(#19)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
j1r!!! will become famous soon enough

Default 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM

I hope you can get better soon Kyle. It sucks being gone from working out for three weeks but I'm sure you can do it and you have to do it to heal up. I'm here for you if you need anything.

Do work!
(#20)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM

I KNOW IT HURTS TO LAUGH BUT HERE WE GO. JUST THINK, YOU COULD BE 54 YEARS OLD, HAVE THE MIND OF A 21 YEAR OLD, AND WISH YOUR BODY COULD GROW LIKE A 20 YEAR OLD. (ME)
I LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE THIS 54 YEAR OLD FACE, AND WANT TO SEE A 21 YEAR OLD BODY ( BUT THE WIFE WON'T LET ME HAVE A GIRLFRIEND). BUT I LOOK YOUNGER THAN I DID BEFORE I STARTED WORKING OUT (BODYWISE). MY MOTHER SAID I DIDN'T NEED TO LOSE ANY MORE WEIGHT. IT MAKES ME LOOK OLD. THANK YOU MOM.
HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON.