IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Injuries and Rehab
Reload this Page left shoulder pain after bench pressing
Injuries and Rehab Discuss Injuries and Rehabilitation here.

(#21)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Very good advice.

Remember flat barbell bench press is a shoulder Mangler. You don't really need bench press to build a large chest quite honestly you don't need it at all.

Bench Press is an ego lift but good for powerlifters in competitions. It is an all around good compound exercise but not really needed to build quality mass. You can also use Flat Hammer strength presses and they are much better than barbell bench press. '

It takes me alot to say that since I used Bench Press for years but I also have had problems there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt20 View Post
Beef let it heal before it causes more serious injuries!!! Trust me lol. Stay away from flat barbell. For now stick with slight incline DB presses (Just put the bench on the first notch or put 2 45lb plates under the head of the bench). That will help with stabilizer muscles. Next pick a good machine press you like, preferably a flat or incline. Try to stay away from decline for now because it will put your should in a vulnerable position. Finish it off with a high rep machine fly or cable crossover. At the end of this training session give some internal/external rotations a try as well. you can youtube these if you are not aware of them. I like to roll a towel and tuck it under my elbow to prevent cheating. Stick with light weight and higher repitions (15). Do this for a couple weeks and let us know how it feels.

My reccomendation

Low incline DB Press-4 sets 12-15 reps (Like recarp said stay shy of failure)

Flat/Incline Machine Press-4 sets of 12-15 reps

Machine Fly/Cable Crossover 4 sets of 15-20 reps

Internal/External rotations-3 sets of 15 reps

Ice afterwards if needed.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#22)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 03-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Thanks a lot Loaf. Thats some good info.

I know im going to have to stop again.... really don't want to but it needs to happen.

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#23)
Old
going@41 is on a distinguished road

Default 05-11-2012, 06:24 PM

This has been a good read for me. I am having some issues as we speak with my left shoulder. I cannot do any kind of cable flyes, as it hurts quite bad, even at 10 lbs.! I basically have more pain when doing anything involving FLEXION movements. I can even do shoulder press in a very short ROM, as long as I do not lower it past shoulder height, and it will also hurt if I fully extend over my head. But, if I keep it in the mid range, It does not bother me. I love doing Clean and Press, but it hurts on the upper end of the push. When the pain hits me, it is like putting a piece of foil on a filling on your tooth. Very sharp and loss of strength.
(#24)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Sorry for not answering you till now. I would suggest taking heavy db's out, go fairly light, just doing rom for a while. If it's injured continuing will just aggravate it. This was my experience. These guys here are pretty savvy about what is a good idea. I do apologize for not replying sooner
If the pain does t let up go see a Dr.