IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Open Chat
Reload this Page Bodybuilding is dying
Open Chat Discuss anything here.

Bodybuilding is dying
(#1)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default Bodybuilding is dying - 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM

So I'll make a few connected statements to see if I can get a discussion going.

1. Bodybuilding is dying (that is the BB division).
2. Men's Physique Division is the future of the sport.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 11-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
So I'll make a few connected statements to see if I can get a discussion going.

1. Bodybuilding is dying (that is the BB division).
2. Men's Physique Division is the future of the sport.

Just curious, but what makes you say that? I don't disagree, but just wondering what you are seeing out there to make you state these things.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Physique is exploding in participation. (And the guys are getting bigger as more cross over from BB) More participation is more revenue, and now a days with sponsorships and whatnot, cash is king and the lifeline for the sport, like it or not.

BB had it's heyday in the 80's and 90's. Plus these guys are monsters...and as cool as it is to see them, it's not healthy. You hear more and more about guys dying in their 40's from this lifestyle lately, yet the golden era guys are still reasonably healthy in their 60-70's. This isn't over looked by the public, so how will this help draw people into the sport? Besides 99% of bodybuilders don't have the genetics to be that big and/or that good. But physique, much more attainable, much more appealing, and much more lucrative. And the look of the guys in physique (even when the 'ideal look' gets another 20-30lbs bigger) is more acceptable to the general public.

For years there's been a lot of talk in reduced quality of competitors in favor of size. I think physique will ultimately bring back the more classic look of the 60's/early 70's, rather than BB being scaled back.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Kind of a late response, but I reread this and see what you mean. For me...my biggest hesitation to get on stage is the damned trunks you have to wear. I'd much rather wear the shorts that physique competitors use LOL!

But back to your point, I guess due to the model scouts, the physique is more appealing for sponsors.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]