IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Post Your Pictures
Reload this Page Help!!! Need advice on lower chest!
Post Your Pictures Lets see what dedication and years of training have created!!

Help!!! Need advice on lower chest!
(#1)
Old
GunnarW is on a distinguished road

Default Help!!! Need advice on lower chest! - 04-18-2012, 09:02 PM

I've been struggling with the definition of my chest, specifically lower chest, for a long time now and im just not sure what to do anymore. The bottom part of my chest has formed into a big semi-circle and i do not know how to get it to a straight line. Its been a problem for awhile now and i don't know how to fix it. It is like another muscle has formed at the bottom of my pecs and i don't know whether it is a part of my pecs or a part of my abs or what is going on at all. There are some pictures showing what im taking about. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out in any way. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (258.7 KB, 11 views)
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Just from looking at the picture IMO it looks like decline barbell bench would benifit you. Just my humble opinion.
(#3)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM

The best way to hit the lower pec is by doing dips on a parallel bar. Pull your shoulders back and then lower yourself down making sure to stretch out the pec. Push up with your chest, also try to push your hands inward towards your body. It's a great method to increase the tension on your chest, same with doing bench press or incline press, try to push your hands in towards each other while pressing the bar. You can hit the lower chest by doing decline bench press, or decline db press/fly. Developing your upper chest will also help form up the lower. The most important thing though is diet. I cannot emphasize that enough, diet, diet, diet.

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#4)
Old
CandyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Default 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM

I would agree with decline presses as that works the top part of chest to me it looks like you need to build the lower pec up. I would do diamond cutters and cable pull ups. I love these two exercises. They have formed the bottom part of my chest. Diamond cutters make sure your declined some and push at an angle not straight up. Good luck.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?12ltcf
CG!!
(#5)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Well said DD!

Here's a decent vid on some ideas (I don't like the chest bouncing on bench though )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWDaVDFVwQ[/ame]

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#6)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

I never though of doing decline flys on a flat bench! Lol. Will have to try that next chest workout!

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Back when I was doing DB flys, I liked doing the inward pinky twist at the top of the movement. IMO, it puts a good squeeze on the pecs...where gravity isn't really on your side for helping at the top.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#8)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarW View Post
I've been struggling with the definition of my chest, specifically lower chest, for a long time now and im just not sure what to do anymore. The bottom part of my chest has formed into a big semi-circle and i do not know how to get it to a straight line. Its been a problem for awhile now and i don't know how to fix it. It is like another muscle has formed at the bottom of my pecs and i don't know whether it is a part of my pecs or a part of my abs or what is going on at all. There are some pictures showing what im taking about. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out in any way. Thank you.
Gunnar,
I think it is genetics. Some guys have no problem with lower chest development and some have a hard time with it. I have seen lots of bodybuilding shows and have seen that as a problem. I have had a hard time getting my lower pecs to grow in the past. Dips, heavy partials dips, and the Hammer Decline Press works for me. You know what else works??
Is always keeping your hands low when you do pressing movements.

Train hard and get a good stretch as well!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Tim makes a good point here. Alot of chest development is genetics but you can break through that plateau with proper training. I've never really been big on Decline presses but parallel dips have always been a good movements to get the lower chest to respond. Believe it or not Proper form on Bench press can help develop the lower chest in the proper way as well. Also like Rick stated. Doing the inner pinky twist while doing flys ( and you don't necessarily have to do decline flys) just doing flys with the inner pinky twist really flares that inner chest out.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#10)
Old

Default 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Tim makes a good point here. Alot of chest development is genetics but you can break through that plateau with proper training. I've never really been big on Decline presses but parallel dips have always been a good movements to get the lower chest to respond. Believe it or not Proper form on Bench press can help develop the lower chest in the proper way as well. Also like Rick stated. Doing the inner pinky twist while doing flys ( and you don't necessarily have to do decline flys) just doing flys with the inner pinky twist really flares that inner chest out.
Mac,
I really can't stand decline barbell. I used to love them but over the past few years every time I try them they suck!! HA

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#11)
Old

Default 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Mac,
I really can't stand decline barbell. I used to love them but over the past few years every time I try them they suck!! HA

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com