IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Workout Equipment
Reload this Page The day has come... advice/guidance please
Workout Equipment In a time where more people are getting their own home equipment this forum is for discussing home,commercial and Homeade workout equipment. Rate and Tell us what you think is best.

The day has come... advice/guidance please
(#1)
Old
mikeyUK is on a distinguished road

Default The day has come... advice/guidance please - 02-04-2011, 01:01 PM

The day has come. I can no longer get any more weight on my standard bar with the weight plates i have at home. I have had 231lb/105kg on it for squats. But am now doing 220lb x 8 x 3. I think it would probably be dangerous to try and put more weight on a standard bar? and would also involve spending another decent amount of money getting another pair of 45lb plates.
And now my deadlifts are catching up to also hitting 220lb for 5 reps.

So think its time i invested in some olympic weights and bar?
My main question is, is there a big difference other than length between a 7ft and a 6ft olympic bar. Purely because 7ft would really squeeze into the space i use for lifting, so a 6ft bar would be more practical. Can they both take the same weight.. as buying this now i want to not have to buy again, invest in something thats gonna last as i progress.

Also any suggestions on good weight sets or does it not really matter. Over here they sell either a 220lb set or a 310lb set. So gonna go for the 310lb set i think so i have weights for the stage im at now and ones for progression.

Final question. I currently use a standard barbell bench to. With the rack attached to the bench and at about shoulder width. Even now it is an effort to put a 45lb plate on one end without it flipping the bar up and down.
I take it with a longer bar this really wouldnt be suitable.
Would i now be best also in investing in a power rack or something similar? Also providing me with the safety aspect as i train at home , alone with no spotters most of the time.

Thanks for any help.
(#2)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

power Racks are always a great idea very good for the safety aspect plus allowing you to train heavier when your by yourself.

Look into these products as well. Look them up on you tube and they have great videos showing people using them. Plus me. I used to have one and have video of the Power Tec system.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
SouthernIllinois has a spectacular aura about

Default 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Powertec multi gym. #Wb-ms10. Love these things!!!

(#4)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM

id agree with the power rack idea.working out alone with the safety of the rack is a good idea.

Controlled labs supps.