IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Over Age 35 Bodybuilders
Reload this Page PaPaw's Blog...
Over Age 35 Bodybuilders A forum for those over the age of 35.

(#661)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks Recarp. I'm wanting this really bad.
By looking at my workouts is there any changes that could be made?
(#662)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM

are you goin to failure on every set.if your looking for strength you want to stay one or 2 reps short of failure if your goin for mass failure should be on just about every set.also your warm up sets your only doing 5 reps.your warm ups should be 15-20reps,roughly 50-70%of your work set weight.gets the blood in their and also prevents injury.dont go to failure on your warm ups just on your worksets.warm ups 1-2sets and work sets 4-5sets is usualy a good rule of thumb.i also see you use false grip,i do to on just about everything its alot more comfortable.
just a coouple thoughts.hope you dont mind.

Controlled labs supps.
thanks Recarp
(#663)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default thanks Recarp - 10-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
are you goin to failure on every set.if your looking for strength you want to stay one or 2 reps short of failure if your goin for mass failure should be on just about every set.also your warm up sets your only doing 5 reps.your warm ups should be 15-20reps,roughly 50-70%of your work set weight.gets the blood in their and also prevents injury.dont go to failure on your warm ups just on your worksets.warm ups 1-2sets and work sets 4-5sets is usualy a good rule of thumb.i also see you use false grip,i do to on just about everything its alot more comfortable.
just a coouple thoughts.hope you dont mind.
No, I don't go to failure. I don't have a spotter alot of the time. I appreciate the information I'm still finding out I have alot to learn. One question, I'm not sure what false grip is.

Last edited by PAPAW; 10-13-2010 at 04:02 PM.
(#664)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -

Default 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM

one of your workouts you mentioned thumbs in and thumbs out.thought you meant false grip when your thumb is under the bar with your fingers.sorry i mis read it.also if you dont have a spotter,i dont either,thats where drop sets come in handy or x reps,x rep is partial rep from the sticking point to the contraction point.

Controlled labs supps.
(#665)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM

I'm not the best in the world in doing these posts. I get a little slack sometimes.
I guess I have alot to learn. I'm an old powerlifter that's trying something different.
I appreciate all your help. I tried some of the dropsets (I think) tonight. If you don't mind, check out my workout for tonight and give me a little feedback. It was leg night tonight.
(#666)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Worked the legs pretty hard tonight. I had to alter the workout a bit tonight.
Smith Machine squats
90 X 10
160 X 5 X 4
Precor Super Squat Machine
Reverse squats (facing the backrest)
270 x 5 x 2
360 x 5 x 2
Leg press (up high on foot board)
180 x 5 x 2
180 x 15 x 2
Leg extensions
120 x 5 x 3
90 x 20 x 1
Leg extensions
115 x 5 x 4
Leg curls
85 x 5 x 3
65 x 15 x 1
I'm still trying to find a happy medium.
I did have a competing female bodybuilder tell me that I was getting smaller.
Is that a good thing ?
(#667)
Old
M.T. Neal has a spectacular aura about

Default 10-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Never good for a woman to tell you that you are getting smaller, just kidding. Nice workout.
COVERED UP
(#668)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default COVERED UP - 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.T. Neal View Post
Never good for a woman to tell you that you are getting smaller, just kidding. Nice workout.
UMMM, you know I thought my workout shorts were long enough to cover up.
She's a bodybuilder. She won her class in the female bodybuilding competition back in August. I think it was NPC.
I'm still feeling the workout from last night.
Thanks for the good words.
FORGOT TO POST LAST NIGHT
(#669)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default FORGOT TO POST LAST NIGHT - 10-15-2010, 08:17 AM

I guess all the good workouts finally caught up with me. I struggled a bit last night . I did a little of the muscle confusion.
Bench
135 x 5
155 X5
175 X5 X 2
165 X 6
155 X 8
135 X 10
DB bench
40 X 12 X 4 thumbs in, then thumbs toward head
DB Triceps
30 X 12 X 4 thumbs in, then out, then down
DB curls
30 X 12 X 4
(#670)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -

Default 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM

i finally figure out what you mean by thumbs in and out.lol.just my opinion but when the thumbs are in you cant get a good squeeze of the pecs,thumbs towards your head and just touch the dumbell at the bottom plates only(closest to feet)and squeeze your elbows in a bit,dont let them stay together just tap and hold apart for a second then continue the reps.you should feel a big difference.....how much time are you resting between sets on your bench??are you doing warmup sets before you start your 5 reps??i wouldnt go down in weight unless your doin drop sets...are you goin to failure or 1 rep short of failure??as for triceps are you switching grips on every set if your doing normal grip then reverse grip then a different grip(not sure what thumbs down is)your working different parts each time,stick with one grip for 4 sets then switch grip or excercise.

hope this helps.

Controlled labs supps.
THAT WILL HELP ALOT
(#671)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default THAT WILL HELP ALOT - 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
i finally figure out what you mean by thumbs in and out.lol.just my opinion but when the thumbs are in you cant get a good squeeze of the pecs,thumbs towards your head and just touch the dumbell at the bottom plates only(closest to feet)and squeeze your elbows in a bit,dont let them stay together just tap and hold apart for a second then continue the reps.you should feel a big difference.....how much time are you resting between sets on your bench??are you doing warmup sets before you start your 5 reps??i wouldnt go down in weight unless your doin drop sets...are you goin to failure or 1 rep short of failure??as for triceps are you switching grips on every set if your doing normal grip then reverse grip then a different grip(not sure what thumbs down is)your working different parts each time,stick with one grip for 4 sets then switch grip or excercise.

hope this helps.
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate your time and knowledge in these areas. I'm just an old guy trying to look good. (and compete a little next year) When I say rotate the thumbs it's the whole hand and weights too. Just to verify what I ment.
I just figured it was working a different part of the muscles when I would rotate the thumbs like that. I feel the sqeeze when I do like you suggest but I haven't been doing the hold. I usually do a count of 10 before starting another set. As far as warming up I'm usually warmed up by then by doing the flat bench previously. I just went down in weight last night because everything felt extra heavy for some reason. For the triceps I haven't been switching till I got to the thumbs out leaving the fingers toward my face. I have dropped the weights before and am cautious about dropping a db on my face. If you grab the db and lay on your back your thumbs would be facing the floor. It is like doing skull crushers but with db's. I don't usually work to failure because I know I go from tri's to hammerfit sometims and don't want to deplete the muscle so I can get a good chest workout. I've been told I need to split up the arm and chest workouts, but my problem is time. I work two jobs and that takes my Saturday and Sunday mornings. Sunday night I try to go to church.
Once again, I do appreciate everything.
THAT WILL HELP ALOT
(#672)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default THAT WILL HELP ALOT - 10-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:

hope this helps.
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate your time and knowledge in these areas. I'm just an old guy trying to look good. (and compete a little next year) When I say rotate the thumbs it's the whole hand and weights too. Just to verify what I ment.
I just figured it was working a different part of the muscles when I would rotate the thumbs like that. I feel the sqeeze when I do like you suggest but I haven't been doing the hold. I usually do a count of 10 before starting another set. As far as warming up I'm usually warmed up by then by doing the flat bench previously. I just went down in weight last night because everything felt extra heavy for some reason. For the triceps I haven't been switching till I got to the thumbs out leaving the fingers toward my face. I have dropped the weights before and am cautious about dropping a db on my face. If you grab the db and lay on your back your thumbs would be facing the floor. It is like doing skull crushers but with db's. I don't usually work to failure because I know I go from tri's to hammerfit sometims and don't want to deplete the muscle so I can get a good chest workout. I've been told I need to split up the arm and chest workouts, but my problem is time. I work two jobs and that takes my Saturday and Sunday mornings. Sunday night I try to go to church.
Once again, I do appreciate everything.
(#673)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -

Default 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM

doing chest and tris is good but like you said it feels depleted.chest and bi ,,back and tris is a good split.if you cant go to failure on each set go to almost failure and wait 20seconds and do a few more then wait 10-20seconds and do a few more.it will have the same affect.if you do an arm split do bi with chest and tri with back but there should be a couple days between the two workouts.or arms by itself and chest and back on a seperate day.

Controlled labs supps.
(#674)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
j1r!!! will become famous soon enough

Default 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM

Great job Papaw!

Do work!
GREAT DEER HUNTING WEEKEND BUT NO DEER
(#675)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default GREAT DEER HUNTING WEEKEND BUT NO DEER - 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM

My youngest son and I went to the deer woods to bag a deer. We got there a little late and were firing off our powder to dry the barrel... when... my gun wouldn't go off. We cleaned and took it apart and cleaned somemore. About 45 minutes later BOOM!, it went off. We're in business. We sat for a couple of hours and decided to call it till the afternoon. Got back that afternoon and about 5:45pm a 6 point walked out and I got my first shot a buck this year. I missed (later to find out the rifle was not sighted in) We saw more deer and I got a shot off but my rifle not being sighted in I missed again. It didn't really bother me because I was out doing what I love to do with my son. He didn't even take a shot, he said he wanted me to get the deer. Is that a great kid or what. By the way he's a member of IPYU; he goes by "contry". We had a great weekend.
Rick, or any of you other guys, if your hunting; be careful brother.
(#676)
Old
AA EFX
rippednmichigan is a jewel in the rough

Default 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Plenty of hunting season left, you'll get one bro.
(#677)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Thanks, yeah your right, I've got faith that I'll bag a deer. I had great time. I'll be going for a week next month. Thats when ya'll gotta pray for papaw.
(#678)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Gerbilo is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to Gerbilo
Default 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I have a story. It happened a few years ago. We were out camping in Iowa and a friend of ours was with who will go hunting every now and then. It was bow season so he decided to get up early one morning and give it a try in one of the old tree stands. Whatever happened he would never tell us but he came back with a bloody nose and no deer. We harassed him the rest of the trip saying that the deer were hunting him.

On a side note, keep up the good work in the gym!
(#679)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 10-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks Gerbilo, I love me some deer hunting and fishing. Sounds like your friend fell asleep and fell out of the stand. He's a lucky man.
Thanks for the side note. I had a real good night tonight.
By the way you've been doing a great job with the weights also.
I'm getting there
(#680)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default I'm getting there - 10-18-2010, 08:58 PM

I had a really good night tonight. I'm finding it harder to work all my workout into the time I have for it. I'm gona have to find a way to split these muscle groups into 4 different days, or I may have to add Saturday afternoons.
Bench
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 1
215 x 1
175 x 5 x 3
185 x 5
Db bench
60 x 5 x 4 thumbs in, thumbs out, thumbs toward head
Db tri's
35 x 5 x 4 thumbs in, thumbs out, thumbs down
Db curls
40 x 5 x 4
Ez bar curls
65 x 5
75 x 5 x 4
Leg raisers
4 sets of 20 with 1 set of 5 reps body weight dips inbetween each set.