IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Workout Equipment
Reload this Page Harbinger Big Grip Straps
Workout Equipment In a time where more people are getting their own home equipment this forum is for discussing home,commercial and Homeade workout equipment. Rate and Tell us what you think is best.

Harbinger Big Grip Straps
(#1)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Thumbs down Harbinger Big Grip Straps - 04-16-2008, 01:09 AM

So once again i left my straps in the gym to forever disappear....
Ballys was sweet enough to let me 'Product Test' the Harbinger 'Big Grip' wrist straps.

Im going to rank these straps 1 out of ten. The only positive thing out of them was that they indeed work as straps, but the list of negatives far out shines that fact.

The 'Dura-grip' rubber they added to the contact side of the strap is FAR TO GRIPPY! As you load your strap on you can not twist the barbell and tighten the strap because that rubber has a death grip on the bar. This gives you far too much slack in the strap to the point of not even having your fingers around the bar.

Second up is that same added rubber continues along the entire length of the strap. This creates MAJOR discomfort around your wrist, espesically the inner wrist ware the hole that the strap end slides through is... My wrists have major friction burns and even a little friction-cut after using them, very painful.

Last problem is that the rubber grip acts like a latch ware the hole end is that the other piece slides through. After you finish your grueling set of deadlifts the wrist strap is stuck horribly tight around your wrist and even after letting go of the bar you have difficulty loosening it off your wrist (all in the mean time your wrists are friction-burnt,in pain, and have zero blood circulation to your hand)

If anyone can read through my horrid grammar and spelling; there is a lesson to be learned in all this......
DO NOT BUY THESE GRIPS!!!!
(#2)
Old
Hart18 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Hart18
Default 04-16-2008, 02:49 AM

meh i dont use straps anyway...but thanks for the heads up
(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 04-16-2008, 05:21 AM

Good review

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#4)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 04-16-2008, 05:58 AM

I have a set of the Harbinger cloth wrist wraps, they work pretty well but after a year or so they are still far from being broken in. I had a pair of no name white ones that were old and dirty and they got lost at the gym but they were much better than what I have. It might take 2-3 tries to get the new ones set right before a lift but my old ones would synch up tight and quick every time, they were like a part of me.

Heart, I'm not big on straps BUT at some time most of us will find that our backs and traps can out work our grip. When I do the 300 workout and I have 50 deadlifts at 135# I never use the straps but when I'm going for 5 reps at 365 I use them and when I'm shrugging with 100# dumb bells I use them, they let me focus on the weight and the body part I'm working rather than the fact my fingers want to fall off.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#5)
Old
Hart18 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Hart18
Default 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM

I dunno I guess I just have really strong hands and forearms. Cuz I shrug 100lb dumbells too and dont have a problem. must be from the Marines when I had to do pullups constantly. set platoon and company records, so the forearms got strong as hell. maybe when i get to the point where i can handle the higher weight i might need em, but i dunno dont really feel the need for em right now.
(#6)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 04-16-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart18 View Post
I dunno I guess I just have really strong hands and forearms. Cuz I shrug 100lb dumbells too and dont have a problem. must be from the Marines when I had to do pullups constantly. set platoon and company records, so the forearms got strong as hell. maybe when i get to the point where i can handle the higher weight i might need em, but i dunno dont really feel the need for em right now.
yeah i feel my forearms are my strongest area too,sad thing is the forearms arnt whats gripping the weight(the wrist shouldnt bend in any of the movements) it is all in the hand strength and after 3 sets of deadlifts,5 sets of pulldowns, 5 sets of straightarm pulldowns , 5 sets of bent-over barbell rows, and 5 sets of tbar rows. My fingers cant grip the shake im about to drink when im done!!

Without straps i can last threw the deadlifts, threw the pulldowns/S.A pulldowns. But once i get to the back thickness exersizes they severely limit how much wieght i can load up.As a matter of fact my 1RM deadlift is stronger with just plain alternating grip than it is with straps(dont know why)

I feel my grip gives out WAY before my back gets fully worked. So be glad you have those strong hands cause it blows having your fingers be the limiting factor at the end of back day.
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
omaha16859 is a jewel in the rough

Default 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM

I use straps, due to trying to hold 585lb's for rack deads is hard to do even with straps. Grip can only go so far, and if you want the best workout you can get for the weights some are moving you have to have that extra grip support.

Jack3D and that's it, nothing else other then FOOD
(#8)
Old
Illmatic is on a distinguished road

Default 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM

i use straps but not because i'm lifting every weight in the gym. when i started lifing with a purpose i was 15 and poor. straps were $6 gloves were $15. now 15 years later, gloves feel very bulky and i wont wear them, but my tried and true, dirty old white cotton wraps are a nice thin layer between me and the bar. i seem to remember Arnold saying on the subject of lifting gloves that, "real men wear calouses" i do wonder how much they hurt my lifting by not making my fingers work so hard.
(#9)
Old
thedunhill225 is on a distinguished road

Default 01-08-2012, 04:45 AM

Old thread I know but here is a tip for anyone that has these straps (I still have an old pair).... Just turn them inside out people. I see posts about these on every board cause they are sold at sporting goods stores and people get them cause they are easy to get... Every time I tell someone to just turn em inside out they try them and post back "duh... That was easy".