IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Q & A with RCSS Supplements with V.I.P. Athlete - Emeka Okammor
Reload this Page One For Mek.
Q & A with RCSS Supplements with V.I.P. Athlete - Emeka Okammor Discuss Athletic Xtreme supplements here

One For Mek.
(#1)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default One For Mek. - 06-04-2013, 06:57 AM

You probably get asked this a lot but here it goes.

In the bodybuilding world what's the current stance on low carb, high fat diets, and a more sporadic eating frequency? (Say two to three meals a day)

I've seen naturals make significantly better progress on a higher fat, lower carb diet. It's easier to keep lean, and I personally find I'm stronger, and have noticed no negative effect on my muscle glycogen. And I'm not alone.

Are you guys discussing 'alternative dieting' or do you tend to lean towards the traditional bodybuilding diet? I ask because the close minded, knuckle dragging zombies at my gym dismiss anything that isn't in a magazine, or on the back of a supplement bottle. And it gets frustrating.

I talk mainly with people who are doctors, or in alternative medicine about nutrition these days, as I've heard it all before from the bodybuilders mouth, but I believe your different, and are open to different theory's.

Did you check this link when I first posted it? http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

As a bodybuilder, would you be happy on a diet like that? ^^

Mac read this http://community.myprotein.com/diet-...u-fat-ill.html a while ago, and he wasn't too convinced.But it would be nice to hear your thoughts. Be warned though it's a mahosive thread! I wouldn't blame you for not reading it.

I'm not trying to convert you to anything Hahaha!! More interested in hearing your opinions on it as a bodybuilder. And the question of, could a bodybuilder be successful rebelling against the norm, with these kinds of diets?
(#2)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Hey bud!

Many many bodybuilders never reach their potential because they are scared to step out of the box. That goes for natural and enhanced athletes both. The traditional bodybuilder would not be a successful bodybuilder in todays era.

Personally, I've learned to follow what my body is telling me. My current offseason diet is laughable to most bodybuilders but it is what works for me. Low carbs, high protein, high fiber. And the word "high" is relative. lol.

Would this diet work for a bodybuilder? It depends on that bodybuilder and his/her goals. I would be perfectly fine on that diet seeing that I do all but eat 2-3 times a day. I'm eating 5-6.

The typical high everything bodybuilder diet, imo, is out and these types of diets have proven to work more effectively and safely than the typical bber diet.

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
The Following User Says Thank You to emekajokammor For This Useful Post:
cra_training_zy (06-04-2013)
(#3)
Old

Default 06-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Ah! Mek, you are as wise as Solomon. You get extra points if you don't throw your egg yolks away. (It really hacks me off when people do that!)

Seriously though it's exciting and reassuring to know that a bodybuilder such as yourself takes care researching their nutrition. Not only that, researching nutrition to suit them.Too many settle for the chicken and brown rice philosophy, and it's just not optimal.

I also think there's an element of blindness, forinstence, they say you can't bulk and cut at the same time. Why not? Who's to say, if you don't find the foods that work for you, in the correct circumstances, in a hormonally ideal environment, with the correct training protocol and keeping stress at a minimum, that you couldn't lose fat while building muscle? Anyway, I'm driving off topic...

Nice to meet a bodybuilder who's open to innovation. Some of the guys are so scared of turning catobolic their practically taking a taxi to the gym. And guys so scared of dietary fat, their rinsing there beef mince in water before cooking it.

Madness!!
(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emekajokammor View Post
Hey bud!

Many many bodybuilders never reach their potential because they are scared to step out of the box. That goes for natural and enhanced athletes both. The traditional bodybuilder would not be a successful bodybuilder in todays era.

Personally, I've learned to follow what my body is telling me. My current offseason diet is laughable to most bodybuilders but it is what works for me. Low carbs, high protein, high fiber. And the word "high" is relative. lol.

Would this diet work for a bodybuilder? It depends on that bodybuilder and his/her goals. I would be perfectly fine on that diet seeing that I do all but eat 2-3 times a day. I'm eating 5-6.

The typical high everything bodybuilder diet, imo, is out and these types of diets have proven to work more effectively and safely than the typical bber diet.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
bb12 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to bb12
Default 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM

Stepping out of your comfort zone ...that's were goals and dreams become a reality

All American EFX Rep

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
(#6)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -

Default 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra_training_zy View Post
Ah! Mek, you are as wise as Solomon. You get extra points if you don't throw your egg yolks away. (It really hacks me off when people do that!)

Seriously though it's exciting and reassuring to know that a bodybuilder such as yourself takes care researching their nutrition. Not only that, researching nutrition to suit them.Too many settle for the chicken and brown rice philosophy, and it's just not optimal.

I also think there's an element of blindness, forinstence, they say you can't bulk and cut at the same time. Why not? Who's to say, if you don't find the foods that work for you, in the correct circumstances, in a hormonally ideal environment, with the correct training protocol and keeping stress at a minimum, that you couldn't lose fat while building muscle? Anyway, I'm driving off topic...

Nice to meet a bodybuilder who's open to innovation. Some of the guys are so scared of turning catobolic their practically taking a taxi to the gym. And guys so scared of dietary fat, their rinsing there beef mince in water before cooking it.

Madness!!
Haha! I used to believe the same until I witnessed my body go through a recomposition. Was able to build some muscle and loose fat and I have the pics to prove. lol. By the end of my recompositioning my body weights were about the same but my body looked totally different.

I find that many people believe that technology should advance from month to month and year to year but health and fitness should stay the same. Weird

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#7)
Old

Default 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM

I'm completely reformed myself. Things I talk about these days, are like a biology lesson. I tend to get my news from pubmed these days. Going really deep, looking into carbs effects on changing gene expression, effects of nootropics like thiamine, pantoic acid, racetams etc.

I've actually come so far away from the 'bodybuilding' mentality that I've totally forgotten about it. Even my training now, is mainly squats and deadlifts. Bench if I'm feeling lucky. What amazes me is that I somehow look better by just doing the basics. Haven't done a bicep curl, or a dumbbell fly in months now. Pull ups and dips are as about as close to isolations as I get. All my workouts are full body and really, really basic. I do more gymnastic type stuff on the off days too.

Maybe I'm really old fashioned, or in fact very 2013? Either way, I like that more and more people are starting to wake up, and tune into themselves a bit more. I don't like the cookie cutter mentality.
(#8)
Old
c0yled0tc0m is on a distinguished road

Default 09-05-2013, 08:48 PM

I know this post is kinda old, but I was reading it and it got me thinking. How do you really know what works for you? I myself have been struggling with my diet alot these past few months, and alot of the stuff I've learned here has helped. I think I may have it tuned in somewhat but who could tell.

I had lost alot of weight throwing egg yolks away and things of that nature...but I had no muscle mass, and still kinda had that little pot belly pooch type thing going on. Now I'm staying steady in the 175-180 range but I'm getting some gains for the most part. How do I figure out what works for me? Where I'm getting my best from, because I love food. I would prefer to get most of what I need from that. The rest I can work out later
(#9)
Old

Default 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM

I know this post is kinda old, but I was reading it and it got me thinking. How do you really know what works for you? I myself have been struggling with my diet alot these past few months, and alot of the stuff I've learned here has helped. I think I may have it tuned in somewhat but who could tell.

I had lost alot of weight throwing egg yolks away and things of that nature...but I had no muscle mass, and still kinda had that little pot belly pooch type thing going on. Now I'm staying steady in the 175-180 range but I'm getting some gains for the most part. How do I figure out what works for me? Where I'm getting my best from, because I love food. I would prefer to get most of what I need from that. The rest I can work out later
(#10)
Old

Default 09-06-2013, 03:57 AM

You'll know when something works for you; it take lot's of trial and error, but eventually, something will just feel right.

When I switched to a low carb/high fat ketosis diet, it was as if a switch was flicked on in my head. All of a sudden, all the lights came on and It was literally like being plugged into the universe.

Once I became fat adapted and began using fat for fuel instead of carbs, I noticed all of my strength returned, my muscle glycogen was regulated once again and I found I needed less sleep.

It was then that I realised; "Hey! This works for me!" Funnily enough though, it was only in the last year or so, after several years of trying things out.

I won't try and coax you in, but keep in mind; protein builds muscle, carbs don't and fat is a far, far, far! Superior energy source.

In the last three days, I've had fifteen hours sleep and have walked nearly fifty miles, waking up at five in the morning, farming all day and getting back at seven in the evening; sleeping 4-6 hours and doing it all again.

And I have absolutely no urge whatsoever to fall asleep and I'm not getting tired at all. I'm like a Duracell battery! I just keep going! It's like having super powers.

That's also when you know something is working for you.
(#11)
Old

Default 09-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Well then, I might just be on the right path. I feel the exact same way! My body is probably just moving slower at showing me. Looks wise I mean
(#12)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra_training_zy View Post
You'll know when something works for you; it take lot's of trial and error, but eventually, something will just feel right.

When I switched to a low carb/high fat ketosis diet, it was as if a switch was flicked on in my head. All of a sudden, all the lights came on and It was literally like being plugged into the universe.

Once I became fat adapted and began using fat for fuel instead of carbs, I noticed all of my strength returned, my muscle glycogen was regulated once again and I found I needed less sleep.

It was then that I realised; "Hey! This works for me!" Funnily enough though, it was only in the last year or so, after several years of trying things out.

I won't try and coax you in, but keep in mind; protein builds muscle, carbs don't and fat is a far, far, far! Superior energy source.

In the last three days, I've had fifteen hours sleep and have walked nearly fifty miles, waking up at five in the morning, farming all day and getting back at seven in the evening; sleeping 4-6 hours and doing it all again.

And I have absolutely no urge whatsoever to fall asleep and I'm not getting tired at all. I'm like a Duracell battery! I just keep going! It's like having super powers.

That's also when you know something is working for you.
One point here. Carbs do help build muscle. they do have a synergistic effect on muscle protein synthesis when combined with dietary protein post-workout.

This is why carbs are such a building block in building muscle.

(#13)
Old

Default 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
One point here. Carbs do help build muscle. they do have a synergistic effect on muscle protein synthesis when combined with dietary protein post-workout.

This is why carbs are such a building block in building muscle.
Agreed they do help. But you could build without them and this has been proven. You build Optimally With them; but optimally is usually a redundant term with an average gym goer such as myself.

Carbs have their place, that's for sure. But I believe they have to be consumed responsibly and at appropriate times; not just willy nilly.

Carb nite (as you well know) is an excellent protocol for this...
(#14)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -

Default 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0yled0tc0m View Post

Well there are a few methods that I use to gauge whats going on and if what I am doing is working.

1. Scale - Very very tricky. Still a great way to determine if you are losing or gaining weight

2. Calipers - My coach hits me with the calipers every Sunday to gauge fat, muscle, and water

3. Workouts - If you are getting stronger, meaning more weight or more reps then that's usually an indicator that you are maintaining or increasing muscle. If you are getting weaker, then you may be losing muscle. I keep my workouts very similar from week to week for this very reason.

4. Mirror - Very Very tricky as well. But taking a few moments to study your body each week will help you notice any changes that may be going on

5. Honest friend - Sometimes you can't notice the changes happening with your body because of various reason, so its good to have someone else take a look at your body from time to time and tell you honestly if there are noticeable changes.

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#15)
Old

Default 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Thanks for chiming in on that post Mek. It helped alot...

"Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your body. Get outta your head about it and just show up!"-Tony Horton
(#16)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -

Default 10-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0yled0tc0m View Post
Thanks for chiming in on that post Mek. It helped alot...
Yeah BUDDY!

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#17)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 10-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Number 5 is probably one of the best. If you can't have a friend to tell you the truth then you don't need that person telling you anything.