IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Diet & Nutrition
Reload this Page WARRIOR DIET !!!!
Diet & Nutrition Tips on eating healthy and eating enough. What and how much you eat can make a huge difference in building muscle & improving performance.

(#21)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Yeah, I agree Kick and like you I will state my thoughts later.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#22)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickboy View Post
I tried this thing a year ago and I think it's CRAP.
IMO the whole idea is dumb.
Yet I was reminded of some old stuff. I got to go run now but I'll update this later.
Well, I agree somewhat Kick and I kind of had that same attitude once I started losing lean mass

My thoughts: This program works great for anyone who is not a bodybuilder/powerlifter (why would a powerlifter even think to try it ). I think what he has designed here is a portable diet through 3/4 of the day and it WILL work for anyone except those that I mentioned. I do believe the convenience of this diet is what makes this method of weight loss so appealing.
(#23)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 06-28-2010, 10:04 AM

My thoughts

What Rick stated was perfect. I do not believe any athlete should be doing this diet. Especially if they are in some type of endurance sport.

The lack of good carbs in the body before any type of activity can detrimental to their performance.

Case in Point look at the Reality TV show Survivor. There is about a 3 day stint that they usually go if they are not winning that they are seriously rationed on carbs. They are usually given a bag of rice and some beans. They can catch fish all day long. Now this is on the fact that you are catching the fish. Usually less to feed all of them sufficiently to some of the competitions they have. That is why those rewards are so important they get plenty of fat and carbs to fuel them. Even though fish is a good fat source. the body will get lean like crazy but energy wise you can see when they are not up to top speed.

The warrior diet is a good concept for people like Rick said. Now on their forums they will argue to death with you that they are just as active as anyone out there. For certain type of activity I believe this. Most of them are into Martial arts and this would be a great place where kick could come in and put his expertise into this conversation, but for bodybuilding purposes or Power Lifting purposes You have to have energy in you. Food. In you all day to be able to perform at your best.

(#24)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
My thoughts

What Rick stated was perfect. I do not believe any athlete should be doing this diet. Especially if they are in some type of endurance sport.

The lack of good carbs in the body before any type of activity can detrimental to their performance.

Case in Point look at the Reality TV show Survivor. There is about a 3 day stint that they usually go if they are not winning that they are seriously rationed on carbs. They are usually given a bag of rice and some beans. They can catch fish all day long. Now this is on the fact that you are catching the fish. Usually less to feed all of them sufficiently to some of the competitions they have. That is why those rewards are so important they get plenty of fat and carbs to fuel them. Even though fish is a good fat source. the body will get lean like crazy but energy wise you can see when they are not up to top speed.

The warrior diet is a good concept for people like Rick said. Now on their forums they will argue to death with you that they are just as active as anyone out there. For certain type of activity I believe this. Most of them are into Martial arts and this would be a great place where kick could come in and put his expertise into this conversation, but for bodybuilding purposes or Power Lifting purposes You have to have energy in you. Food. In you all day to be able to perform at your best.
My thoughts on the warrior diet.
First I want to make it clear it has been a year since I tried the diet so my information will lack detail.
IMO the basics of the way the warrior diet works is that you fast all day and eat one big meal at night much like warriors of old.
It sounds good if you are sick of trying to pound down six meals per day. It does IMO go against the concept of avoiding spikes in blood sugar which leads to weight gain and it does go against the concept that your body will use muscle tissue for energy in stressful situations. I for one canít explain how the diet gets around these issues. The diet goes into fasting which I fail to see the purpose of too.

One thing I did learn is that skipping a meal is not a major thing, in that no healthy person is going to give out of energy if a single meal is missed. If missing meals gets to be a habit that is different.

I feel that I personally in athletics I do my best on an empty stomach as long as I am hydrated. On longer events {lasting over and hour} I like to sip some waxiemaize. It doesnít spike my energy but keeps me feeling alert and not so drained. I mix extend amino acid blend into the waxiemaize to aid in recovery.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
Letting the cat out of the bag.
(#25)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default Letting the cat out of the bag. - 09-06-2011, 03:06 PM

I went back on this diet to see how It would fair with me.

I know of late alot of you have been seeing me put up pictures on facebook of things I've been cooking.

Well Those are my one meal a day meals.

I've been back on the warrior diet for about roughly oh I would say 3 months and I'm down 40 lbs. now.

There are some things I would like to discuss here about the diet and the differences it has to the regular diet of 5 to 6 small meals a day.

Who ever said the small 5 to 6 small meals a day had to be a certain macro number counted on what you should have. How many calories per meal so on and so forth.

There is absolutely no evidence that Intermediate fasting is unhealthy or that you will loose a lot of lean muscle mass.

I will have to go back and take back some of what I said earlier about this diet.

The warrior diet along with some other fasting type diets seem to work really well with weight management and also detoxification of the body and almost the entire circulatory system. In other words it cleanses the blood. It cleanses the digestive system of toxins. Studies have shown that Growth Hormone Production is almost tripled or more when in times of fasting. The myth about Metabolism slowing down is a big myth too. This article.
http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat%20Stop%20Eat.pdf

has some pretty good info to start out with and if you do some investigative work on the internet his findings are backed up and not BS. There is just so much to talk about here I would like a really good conversation about it Pros and Cons.

I imagine I'm going to get alot of bad feed back because I support this but to honestly tell you guys I have never felt so good to be able to say that I feel free from food.

Now mind you. I don't go eat Pizza's and just junk. I try to stick with wholesome foods and filling foods but no artificial stuff and diet crap. Real food for my one meal. I eat until I'm satisfied. Lots of different colors smells and textures.

Okay I want to hear some feedback. The biggest reason this is not mainstream is it goes against everything most big supplement companies and Food producers want you to know. They want you to buy more food and consume more. Hence the word Consumer.

Oh.... and another thing. since being on this for a couple of months I got my blood work back from the Dr. the other day and she was really proud of me. Now I'm just continuing to work on loosing the weight so you guys see an new MAC.

Ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

(#26)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Thats awesome Mac....congrats ont he weight lose and the blood work...Keep truckin brother...

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#27)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Buller Buller.

(#28)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-09-2011, 07:45 AM

Keep going Mac! I wouldn't mind seeing a daily diet log. Just basics, not actual qty's....if you felt like it.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#29)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Or even if you didnt

The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#30)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 09-11-2011, 03:06 PM

okay starting tommorow I will start logging down my one meal or what ever goes into me. I will try to add Macro numbers and all stuff that might be of Intrests.

(#31)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM

How about a recipe for some of those one a day meals...lol

(#32)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

It is just basically what I usually eat at dinner nothing special planned out. but it usually consists of at least a good healthy salad. with alot of colors in it. Some form of complex carb as well.

(#33)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM

The Warrior Diet Compared to Other Diets

I rarely hear people talk about the stability of specific diets, yet, to me, stability is key. Most dietary programs today are missing a critical dimension - "Time". We are not steel objects; we are living entities in time and space. Time is a crucial factor, and can't be ignored. Diets need to reflect the fact that human beings, like all living creatures, exist in time and space, and that we are evolving, moving and always cycling our activities. The easiest way to get people's attention is to make them believe they live in an oversimplistic two-dimensional world. But in life, "one plus one" does not always equal "two." Things are built in cycles, contradictions and extremities, are balancing each other, existing all together in a dimension called Time. Life is based on rotations and changes that manifest themselves in the differences between seasons, weather, days and nights. So it still puzzles me how can people be so brainwashed to believe that their life should be equal every day?

A stable diet is one that, once you're on it, you can live with it regardless to your location, the weather or the season. To me, a stable diet isn't just a diet. It's a way of life. So even if you change something, or go off it for a short while, you'll still be balanced. And that's how human beings should be–balanced–whether they eat a little more carbohydrates or protein, or fast, they should still be balanced. That's one motto of the Warrior Diet. Our bodies are built to adapt to various situations without losing homeostasis.

If a diet is built on such specifics that you may often fail to follow it, It is most likely an "unstable diet." An unstable diet is a bad diet simply because it's almost impossible to stay on it. For instance, The Zone says you should eat 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent fat, 30 percent protein, and that if you change the ratio, even slightly, you've lost The Zone. As Barry Sears says, "you're as good as your last meal." To me this diet is the very definition of unstable because, according to its creator, any deviation will mess you up. In fact, the truth is quite the opposite. There is substantial evidence that humans have adapted to cycle between different ratios of macronutrients. If we haven't adapted to these cycles (in ratios of macronutrients), we wouldn't be able to survive climate and seasonal changes and thus cease to exist.

Most diets are built on a very simple equation and, to me, this is wrong. Most of today's diets can't work for very long because it's impossible to follow a specific, straight formula in an un-straight world. It's just not realistic. You shouldn't eat the same food or ingest the same number of calories every single day because of changes in your routine; For instance, in some days you may be highly physically active whereas in others you may not be active at all. You're the same person, but your ratios and needs are changing. Everything in life is evolving. So should your diet.

Light and daylight influence the hormonal system. For some people, there's a peak time of hormone secretion in the afternoon, but for others it's early in the morning. The hormonal system can also be affected if, for instance, you work in the evening as opposed to during the day. Animals and plants are also affected by, and react to the cycles of day and night and the seasons. Why do we so often overlook or ignore this?

Since the Industrial Revolution, we've been moving further away from the natural cycle of life, governed by sunrise and sunset. As a result, many people today suffer from symptoms of chronic jet lag as well as other related problems, like depression, fatigue or feeling of deprivation, often leading to chronic cravings for pick up foods and sweets.

The stability of the Warrior Diet is built on the premise that whether you've eaten your main meal–or if you haven't–you'll always know where you are in the cycle and what you're supposed to do to keep evolving from one part of the cycle to the next.

I believe that nature is wise, and that we all have deep instincts within us that can provide the wisdom needed as to when to eat, what to eat and when to stop eating. Everyone has and needs these primal instincts. The Warrior Diet allows you to make changes, to binge on carbohydrates or fatty foods like nuts, and still be fine. Other diets don't allow this freedom. I believe that feeling free should be a part of your life. By introducing you to the Warrior Diet, I hope to relay how this sense of freedom will enrich your life in many ways.
The Warrior Diet versus the Frequent-Feeding System

The frequent-feeding system (followed by many people today) is where you eat relatively small, frequent meals throughout the day. Those who advocate frequent feedings say that it puts less pressure on the digestive tract, allegedly keeps sugar levels stable. And, especially for physically active individuals, it allegedly enables them to ingest more protein throughout the day to further build muscles.

I understand the philosophy and science behind this, but I also see the down side. With all due respect, the huge disadvantage with the frequent-feeding system is that the body never gets a break to detoxify, to recuperate, and to let the pancreatic system rest. Additionally, when you deposit material so often, without giving your body enough time to detoxify, you basically deplete your body's pool of enzymes. This often results in compromised digestion–especially of proteins. The loss of digestive power weakens the immune system, and if this unchecked, may lead to waste of lean tissues and disease.

A large percentage of those who practice frequent-feeding no longer have a healthy feeding cycle. It's no wonder why so many today suffer from digestive disorders, constipation, weight gain and related diseases. These problems are so pronounced that the companies who sell drugs to help people become "regular" make a bloody fortune.

The Warrior Diet is built on daily detoxification and enzyme loading as key components. If you practice this diet, you'll eventually reach your own natural cycle and should be able to sustain prime health and increase your resilience to stress and disease. This makes the Warrior Diet radically different from all conventional diets today.
Reviews of Top-Selling Diets, Including How They Differ from the Warrior Diet

I've separated the diet reviews into five major groups:
Group I:

* The All-American Diet
* The American Health-Food Diets

Group II:

* High-Carb/Low-Fat/Low-Protein
* The Pritikin Diet
* Dean Ornish's Diet

Group III:

* The Zone: 40-30-30

Group IV:

* High-Protein, Very Low-Carbohydrate
* Dr. Atkins (New Diet Revolution
and Vita-Nutrient Solution)
* Protein Power
* South Beach Diet

Group V:

* Holistic Diets
* Macrobiotics
* Andrew Weil (Instinctive Healing)
* Harvey Diamond (Fit for Life and Fit for Life: A New Beginning)

To make things clear and simple I chose to review only those diets that, in my opinion, best characterize their group.
Group I:
The All-American (Junk Food) Diet– from hot dogs and french fries to sodas, chips and cookies.

There are no books in this category, other than cookbooks (and fast food or diner menus).

This is a relatively young diet, less than a hundred years old. It cropped up during the twentieth century, and is an example of a "scavenger diet." People on this diet don't think about what they eat, and blithely consume prepared and overly processed foods. True scavengers don't hunt for food; they eat what's left over by another animal. They pick up and eat dead food. Scavengers have this unique mentality.

The All-American Diet is based on consuming food without minding. This is a very aggressive diet, high in refined and overly processed foods loaded with chemical preservatives, pesticides, nitrates, and artificial food colors. When I say aggressive, I refer to taste–meaning there's too much sugar, too much salt, and grease (unhealthy fat). Sugar overstimulates insulin levels, thereby keeps the craving for more sugar. Overly processed foods, like hot dogs, hamburgers, fried chicken, cold cuts, cakes, cookies, candies, sodas, and other sugar-laden beverages, refined or sugary grains like most muffins, donuts, and cereals, French fries (and all fried foods), make up the majority of the All-American Diet.

Many of you already know how bad this diet is. Much data show its correlation with obesity, diabetes, heart attacks, and degenerative diseases. It's my contention that even if you try to balance it somewhat by reducing sugar consumption and increasing your intake of olive oil, instead of margarine or other hydrogenated oils, you're still left with too much overly processed food. To add insult to injury, unless you eat organically, much of the food is contaminated with petroleum-based chemicals, hormones, antibiotics, and estrogenic derivatives. You can't win here!
The American "Health Food" Diets

Choosing organic food is definitely a step in the right direction, because it means that there's some awareness to what you eat. You're attempting to avoid the hormones and antibiotics found in most nonorganic meats and dairy products, as well as the chemically-laden herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers used in most of the nation's food supply.

But one of the common mistakes people make when they see a health-food label, is going for it without checking the ingredients. A lot of organic foods, including many cereals, contain too much sugar or other sweeteners, like fructose, or have undesirable oils or overly processed fats--all of which are unhealthy and therefore dangerous to your health. Remember, even if your food choices are right, it is when you eat that makes what you eat matter.
Group II:
High-Carbohydrate, Low-Fat, Low-Protein.

The Pritikin Diet and Dean Ornish's diet belong here. This group is still popular today, despite massive research showing the insulin impact of high carbohydrate-based diets.

High-carb, low-fat, low-protein diets have proven ineffective in terms of weight loss. Even when calories are reduced, many who try these diets gain weight. Following high-carb, low-fat, low-protein diets can also lead to major problems. For example, when there's a chronic imbalance between protein and carbohydrate consumption, such as when eating an excessive amount of carbs and insufficient amount of protein, it may result in protein deficiencies, as well as overspiking insulin. This can, in turn, lead to insulin insensitivity, hypoglycemia, and even diabetes. Additionally, active people require more protein than those who are sedentary. These diets may not supply enough amino acids for their active muscles.

It's common to find people with "Fat Phobias" in this territory. Dietary fat plays a critical role in supporting the hormonal and neural systems. If one doesn't consume enough healthy fats, particularly essential fatty acids (EFA's), one may suffer from an EFA deficiency. An EFA deficiency may lead to metabolic impairments in the brain, inflammation, excess of estrogen, weight gain and compromised immunity. Moreover, it may lead to depression, impotency, and eventually fullblown diseases.
Group III:
The Zone (40/30/30)

I respect many of Barry Sears' theories, and he's made a great step ahead by explaining to people the mechanism of fat burning and the difference between insulin and glucagon. However, there's absolutely no reason to conclude from his theory that there is actually a "Zone." In my opinion, if there is something similar to the alleged Zone, it definitely doesn't look like the Zone. I can prove philosophically, not just scientifically, how wrong this assumption is. First of all, let's address the amount and proportion of food. There's no proof that all people should consume 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat daily.

He's made two wrong assumptions. One, he believes that this ratio fits everybody–men and women of different ages, athletes, and sedentary people. The truth is that different people have different needs, so you can't say that everybody should follow the same ratio. Moreover, some people suffer from metabolic problems such as gout or hypoglycemia, and their diet absolutely must accommodate their condition. Secondly, Sears ignores the fact that a diet's protein-to-fat- to-carb ratio depends on one's personal condition. If you're in a phase where you want to lose weight, you should have one ratio; if you want to maintain your weight, you should have another.

To me, the worst thing about the Zone is that it's built, like virtually all diets today, on control and deprivation. The human instinct to reach satiety (satisfaction) from food, and to have a sense of freedom, cannot be achieved with this diet. Maybe people can fool themselves for a while, but the fact that you have to measure everything, almost like a pharmacist, is very difficult for people to maintain. I think the Zone is a potentially interesting diet, and some people can probably lose weight on it. But in the long run, such a diet would most likely fail due to impracticalities, restrictions and deprivation. For those who want to build lean tissues, while boosting their metabolism and feeling a sense of freedom as well as satisfaction from their meals, I believe the Zone diet is just not good enough.
Group IV:
High-Protein, Low- or No-Carbohydrates diets:

* Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
* Vita-Nutrient Solution
* Protein Power
* The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
* The South Beach Diet

I chose to review Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution and Vita-Nutrient Solution for Group IV because I feel it represents this group well. Dr. Atkins is a pioneer, since he was the first to introduce the public with some science behind fat burning, as well as the hazards of carbohydrates and overconsumption of sugar. But, unfortunately, his diet suffers from serious downfalls. I believe it's virtually impossible to follow his diet for the long term mainly because it is impractical and wrong to ask people to deprive themselves of carbs forever. There are other problems too, involving overacidity and imbalance, by not consuming enough raw plant foods, and over-consumption of protein and junk fatty foods, such as hot dogs, cold cuts, or bacon, which acidify the body, often load it with chemicals and deplete it from its vital enzymes. On top of this, Dr. Atkins overlooks the importance of whole foods and their healing effects on the body. The emphasis on live, raw foods is missing from his diet plan. Human beings were created as an integral part of nature, and consuming whole foods is essential for our health.

In his latest book, Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution, he suggests a list of vitamins and herbs that you can take to supplement this high protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet. Nonetheless, he maintained drawing the wrong conclusions. Chronically avoiding carbs may compromise the body's natural production of serotonin, a major neurotransmitter that triggers pleasure sensors in the brain, giving a calming effect. Serotonin is the precursor for the hormone melatonin which promotes sleep and rejuvenation. Dietary carbs also play an important role in sustaining a critical metabolic pathway (the Pentose Phosphate pathway) in the liver, responsible for production of DNA, RNA and some of the most powerful endogenous antioxidant enzymes. Chronic carb restriction may shut down this metabolic pathway, thus leading to accelerated aging and disease. My contentions are that:

* There is no substitute for the phytonutrients, minerals, and vitamins we get from whole foods.
* Whole carbs should be an essential component of the diet.

Recommending to cut out some of which nature provides–fruits, plants, whole grains and fibers–and instead use synthetic supplements is absolutely wrong. Phytonutrients, minerals, and microorganisms are needed to support all bodily functions. The Atkins Diet misses a lot of potent, living-food forces.

The colors of live food, such as the pigments in plants, are actually nutritious and essential for your health. These phytonutrients are much more potent in their natural state than in synthetic forms. You can't just supplement them with processed powders.

Many years ago, when the soil was richer and less contaminated with environmental toxins, food contained much more vitamins, minerals, flavones and other phytonutrients, all of which support our bodies hormonal, neural and muscular systems. Their decline in our food supply is a major problem today. So why follow a diet that makes this problem even more pronounced?

Dr. Atkins almost completely ignores the importance of natural detoxification, the role of living food and food enzymes. I believe, moreover, that following this high-protein, high-fat diet with the absence of daily detoxification will place too much pressure on the liver, and so will eventually increase the overall metabolic stress on the body, and thus accelerate aging. Atkins' slogan that "you can eat whatever protein and fat that you want," including bacon, salami, cheese, and butter, is a dangerous gimmick. If you choose to go on this gimmicky diet, you may temporarily lose weight, but eventually may pay the consequences.

In summary, the Atkins' diet overlooks and therefore lacks four major things:

* The importance of dietary carbs in supporting the body's metabolic integrity.
* The importance of the wholeness of food, derived primarily from plants and grains.
* Daily detoxification
* A sense of freedom (since it's built on deprivation.)

Group V: HOLISTIC DIETS

* Macrobiotic Diets
* Andrew Weil's Instinctive Healing
* Harvey Diamond's Fit For Life and Fit For Life: A New Beginning.

Macrobiotics

Macrobiotic diets are based on the ancient Chinese concept of balancing yin and yang. However, this is an American modern mutation of an old Chinese tradition. These diets are based mainly on consumption of cooked food, including cooked fruits and veggies. Grains are the main source of energy.

Yin foods are those that have light, expansive, and often cooling properties, such as fruits, vegetables, sugar, and some herbs and spices. Yang foods have contractive, anabolic, and often warming qualities, such as meat, grains, and beans. Since macrobiotic diets are vegetarian, the yang foods are mainly grains, nuts, seeds, beans and legumes.

In my opinion, these diets aren't as balanced as they claim to be. They neglect, or nearly avoid, the living-food factor. As a result, people who eat a macrobiotic diet miss the live-food elements, which as mentioned, are so essential for your health. I also argue the wisdom of balancing the yin and yang food with each meal. Some people are more acidic, so they need more yin, alkalizing food, and the opposite holds true, too. Moreover, cooking methods may change the quality of fresh yin-like food into a more yang-like quality. It's confusing. On top of all this, it's simply impractical to follow, especially for people who are on the run. Macrobiotic junkies usually carry pre-cooked food with them in plastic containers. This is inconvenient; furthermore, precooked food may spoil if left for too long without refrigeration.

This diet is built on control and deprivation because your choices are limited, and you can't use your own instincts freely. And as mentioned before: no freedom, no good!
Andrew Weil's Instinctive Healing

I respect Andrew Weil. He deserves the credit for educating people about the importance of fresh food, the dangers of processing, and making the right choices when it comes to different plants, seeds, and herbs. Dr. Weil puts things in the right perspective when he covers the subjects of healthy oils and natural toxins. He also elaborates wisely about different healthy cooking methods, and the importance of being in tune with nature and seasons when it comes to dieting.

But philosophy is one thing, and a practical diet is another. I suspect that one of Dr. Weil's magic bullets, besides his charisma, is his ability to remove guilt from those who are looking for guidance. Using Weil himself as a living example of his diet philosophy is somewhat confusing. Dr. Weil argues that the lean body image isn't a healthy one. According to him, it's all right to be chunky (like himself ), and this point of view suggests to people that it's okay to be overweight. Dr. Weil says that lifting weights (bodybuilding) is bad for you, and that moving yourself from the chair to the kitchen and back is kind of an exercise (well, maybe gardening and walking around the block is mentioned, too). I find this approach to be misleading. People can do better than that. In short, if you want to follow Andrew Weil, you may learn a lot about food and cooking. But you might find yourself looking like, well, Andrew Weil.
Harvey Diamond's Fit for Life and Fit for Life: A New Beginning

These diets are very popular among those people who are looking for a practical way to heal themselves.

Harvey Diamond's books are built on three major premises:

1. Food Separation–Carbohydrate and protein meals should be separated. According to Diamond, food separation will guarantee better digestion since carbs and protein need different enzymes under different pH.
2. Detoxification–In his latest book, Fit For Life: A New Beginning, Diamond elaborates on the importance of periodic lymphatic system detoxification as the only natural way to prevent disease.
3. Living Food–Diamond explains the vital importance of living food forces as an integral part of the diet.

My main problem with these books was, and I say was, that in my opinion they appeal to sick or sedentary people. I fully understand and agree with his suggestion of consuming fruits and freshly squeezed fruit and veggie juices, but disagree with the part concerning what and how much you're allowed to eat. I, as well as other active people, would literally disappear if I followed Fit for Life. However, after speaking with and meeting Harvey Diamond, I realize that he's much more flexible than I thought before we met. Harvey agreed that his diet doesn't target active people or athletes who need to consume more protein and meat. He admits that in spite of his attack on "flesh foods," he no longer is a vegetarian, and does, in fact, enjoy a steak once in a while.

Given the above, I have to say that this is a diet I honestly recommend as one of the most effective means of detoxification, for healing and breaking old, unhealthy habits. I personally don't follow food separation since I feel that eating carbs alone may cause a rapid rise in insulin, while combining protein, fat, and carbs in one meal prevents high-insulin fluctuations–and has the added benefit of providing more satiety. Further, some natural whole foods, such as beans and nuts, contain both protein and carbohydrates in almost the same ratio.

Let me just note that Harvey is also a great writer with a wonderful sense of humor. He cracked me up a few times. No other diet book has ever made me laugh.