IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Female Training and Nutrition Forum
Reload this Page Hamstring development
Female Training and Nutrition Forum Forum dedicated to female training and nutrition. Discuss exercises, weight loss, supplements, nutrition, and staying in shape.

Hamstring development
(#1)
Old
LisaIJT has a spectacular aura about

Default Hamstring development - 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM

My quads are fairly well developed, but I am working on my hamstrings. I do heavy squats weekly, and I am wondering if I need to be doing hamstring isolation exercises. Our gym has a laying hamstring curl machine, but I may be too short for it. I feel some pull in my hamstrings, but most of the burn in my calves.

I am not really planning on competing in bodybuilding, but I would like my hams to match my quads. I also things this will help my squat.......my goal is to squat 200. Any suggestions?
(#2)
Old

Default 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM

LOL Rick, this is not the most flattering pic, but thanks for putting one up for me! I still think I need a creative planking one.
(#3)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM

haha! I chuckled at both posts cause I know why you are asking. I'm still with Big D on the lying leg curls. They are good for the hammies! No matter how bad the person hates that exercise...LOL!

And send me a good planking pic. You have many places in the gym to do it. Even a forklift. I'll replace your avatar pic with that if you want. And you'll be eligible for the free t-shirt and bucket of protein that I'm giving to the winner of the plank challenge.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#4)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM

you can get creative and do single leg curls on the leg extension machine,place feet high up on leg press works hams a bit more,stiff leg deads,lay face down on a bench and have dan put a dumbell between your feet and do curls.

Controlled labs supps.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Rick, although I do hate them......at this point, it is because I feel them more in my calves. Maybe I need to back off the weight. Robert, I had not thought of the standing curls on the quad extension.....I guess I could also use a cuff on the cable crossover.

BTW, do any women actually post on this forum? Where should I post these questions instead?
(#6)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Stiff legged deadlifts are my favorite ham movement, they can be used with light wieght for reps, slow tempo for a good stretch, or heavy ass weight for 1-3 reps. Normally I use them with a good middle rep range and then finish hams off with high rep, beyond failure leg curls. (of course after I'm done squatting)
(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaIJT View Post

BTW, do any women actually post on this forum? Where should I post these questions instead?
There's not many that are frequent. It's hit and miss. Madmaxie, Bamagirl, CandyGirl, and Leigh....but none have posted in a while. Madmaxie and Leigh are facebook friends so I can kind of tell they are really working out much these days.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#8)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 08-15-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
you can get creative and do single leg curls on the leg extension machine,place feet high up on leg press works hams a bit more,stiff leg deads,lay face down on a bench and have dan put a dumbell between your feet and do curls.

This post makes me want to go back to ham isolation workouts... Good post Carp!

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#9)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 08-15-2011, 09:38 AM

I've been hitting my hammies at random times. Only once heavy, but sometimes two more times in the week with light weight and high reps....flexing at peak of the movement. I want some huge ham curves. I think this will really help my side poses.

(#10)
Old

Default 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I've been hitting my hammies at random times. Only once heavy, but sometimes two more times in the week with light weight and high reps....flexing at peak of the movement. I want some huge ham curves. I think this will really help my side poses.
I have been doing the same. I looked at my last plank pics and could see them!
(#11)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I read somewhere that training hams should be similar to training biceps, squeezing like you said Rick, at the top of every rep. Because like biceps, hams can get a peak also. Don't know about the hams getting a peak but i know squeezing sure does get that blood in there.

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#12)
Old

Default 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

I still hate hamstring isolation work....they burn like biceps!
(#13)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 08-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Good post!
Tell you what has worked for me and what I have been doing lately. I have read a Charles Poliquin Institute article saying low (6 reps), slow tempo reps are the best for hamstring development. I feel through experience that is partially true. I like either 8-10 or 12- 25 reps. My favorite hamstring exercise is definitely stiff legged deadlifts around 8-10 reps. Leg presses with feet high has helped alot. But here is what I have been doing lately:
Lying Leg Curl 21's (these are brutal as heck)
One legged DB stiff-legged deadlifts
DB Stiff-Legged Deads
Stiff legged deads with a heavy curl bar superset with lying leg curls
And just simply doing seated leg curls with a super slow tempo with holds (nasty!)

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#14)
Old

Default 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Tim,

I really like one legged deadlifts! I use a Kettlebell and like that they work hams, glutes and balance!
(#15)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Stiff-legged are still my favorite though!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert