IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Your Community > I値l Pump You Up Q & A
Reload this Page Looking for best results - NEED HELP AND ADVICE
I値l Pump You Up Q & A This special section is dedicated to answering all your questions. Diet, training, supplements, and any other questions will be answered here by our writers and staff at I値lPumpYouUp.com!

Looking for best results - NEED HELP AND ADVICE
(#1)
Old
BaileyJustinCase is on a distinguished road

Default Looking for best results - NEED HELP AND ADVICE - 09-21-2014, 02:37 PM

So i'm 18 years old, and i have been lifting for about a year. i weigh around 160 pounds. Starting in a couple months or so i am starting my first bulk phase, and i have some questions:

1). What products should i be using to put on as much muscle, and slabs of lean muscle as possible? (I already take whey protein, test boosters, and creatine).

2). Are mass/weight gainers worth it? I have friends who have experienced a lot of success with these, buy my concerns are that it will increase my stomach size (make me appear more fat) because i am also trying to cut down on my body fat percentage to make my body look better. If i take a mass gainer, how much should i eat while taking it?

3). Is there any specific weight training routines you have found that really do a good job with putting on size?

4) Any specific supplements that you have found to be amazing? list them!

Also wanted to add my routines:

Chest: 3 sets of ten each:
bar bench press
db bench press
DB chest fly
Incline bar/DB bench press (Alternate)
reverse grip bench press

Back and Biceps:
Lat Pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Preacher Curls 6 reps at 90% max, 12 reps at 82-85% max, 15-25 at 68-75% max
standing bicep curl 3x10
hammer curl 3x10

Triceps and shoulders: all 3x10
Arnold Press
Tricep rope pull down
front delt DB seated raises
skull crushers
DB kick back
Rear delt row machine
bent over shoulder flies

Leg day 3x10
Leg Press
quad machine
calf machine
hammi machine
NOTE: i don't have a spotter so i really can't do squats

Cardio: been really poor at this lately, try to jog twice a week... or use bike machine

Thank you for reading i would greatly appreciate anybody who is wiling to help me start my journey!

Last edited by BaileyJustinCase; 09-21-2014 at 03:06 PM.
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-21-2014, 03:57 PM

1. You shouldn't be using any products "to put muscle on". You're 160lbs, a great place to start would be more food.

2. Weight gainer is awesome. It's a protein shake with carbs. Work it into your macros if you're truly concerned about bodyfat %.

3. There is no best program in general. Something either works and/or appeals to you or it doesn't. Experiment and find out.

4. Don't worry about supplements. That's the last thing you need to worry about. Food first, proper rest second, and training third. Until you have those down supplements are going to be a waste of money. Stick with protein/weight gainers and maybe a pre-workout for now, spend your money on food.

As far as your routine goes, what are you goals? Where are you training?

Just once over your routine, you're doing twice as much chest training as you are for any other bodypart. You're only doing 6 sets for your back which is 1/3 of your entire body, then doing 9 sets for biceps which are the smallest muscle group on your body...doesn't seem like a very balanced approach.

My suggestion as far as your routine, I'd make back it's own day, pick 6 exercises or so. After that day, do chest and biceps, then your leg day, rest a day then your shoulder/tri day, and then another leg day.

My reasoning being, shoulders are attached to everything and are used every single workout. Give them some rest after back/chest so you can change them fresh. Legs are half your body, if you train the upper half 3 times a week and only the lower once...well you can follow the logic.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#3)
Old

Default 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Thank you so much for the advice, i am going to start doing what you suggested. as far as my goals, I'm looking to add ten pounds of muscle by next summer, whether this is realistic or not, its a number i am shooting for. however while gaining this weight, I'm trying to keep my weight (body fat) gain minimum. any suggestions for that concern? I am currently training in the universities weight room, so it is quite expansive, and a little intimidating to someone who only had a beginners weight bench and light DB's at home during high school.

Also... if i start taking weight gainers, should i stop taking whey protein?
(#4)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

If you're using weight gainer, you can still use whey/casein too. If you're getting enough protein from food and weight gainer, regular protein is almost a waste on top of that. The best way to decide is to figure out how much protein you are taking in. You're going to want to shoot for at least 200g a day if you want to grow.

If you're worried about bodyfat, just watch the mirror. You're going to have to eat like a horse, so after meals you are gonna have a gut. Just accept that now. But first thing in the morning before you eat (say once a week or so), check the mirror. Simplest way to do it in your position, is if you're gaining fat, cut back on your carbs or add some cardio into your routine.

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#5)
Old

Default 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Okay, I'll write that number down. I was actually just looking at the Arnold series from MP weight gainer called Iron Mass here on I'll pump you up, have you heard anything about this product, or have you heard of other weight gainers that are really affective?
(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-21-2014, 07:01 PM

I've tried at least a dozen over the years. Whatever tastes good and sits well with you is whats best for you. (and what's affordable)

I personally like the dymatize mass gainer the best. Universal's real gains was my previous go-to.

(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Great advice from Ouija! I'd like to add though, you really should AT LEAST do light weight squats. Without a spotter, choose a weight you can nearly get 20 reps with and bang out 2 or 3 sets. Be safe first and foremost, but squats help the core and add shape to your legs that pressing just can't quite mimic imho.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#8)
Old

Default 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Just Got my mass gainer today, picked up Carnivor Mass from Ill Pump You Up, gonna get through my first batch and see how i do. i will be taking this along with whey, and casein protein. shooting for 200g a day!
(#9)
Old
ragland108k is on a distinguished road

Default 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM

hi
BaileyJustinCase

I am ragland age 22 from india. my weight is around 84kg. Past 3 month i am doing workout at gym, spending 3 hours daily. My trainer suggested me to take fat loss supplements. I am surfing some of best fat loss supplement online in india. Please suggest me best fat loss supplement which is free from side effects. Thanking you in advance

hi i am ragland from india. My weight is around 84. last week i joined gym. I am doing daily workout. I am looking to buy fat loss supplement online in india. Pleaese suggest me best fat loss suplement

Tags
advice , bulking , muscle growth , questions , weight gainers