IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Training and Exercise > Training & Bodybuilding Routines
Reload this Page Doing the Leg Press correctly
Training & Bodybuilding Routines Learn proper form, techniques, & bodybuilding routines here.

Doing the Leg Press correctly
(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default Doing the Leg Press correctly - 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Here is my rant for the week and this is directed toward my bodybuilding, weight lifting and Power lifting friends. I'm sure alot of you will understand this and totally agree with me here.

I used to not see the benefit from Doing Leg Presses. I have always done them the right way but what pisses me off is the fact in the gym when my workout partners and myself pride ourselves on doing leg presses the right way and after our legs are tore up and can barely move we go on to another exercise we see some dipstick move into the leg press and put just as much weight as we have been using and start doing 1 inch leg press movements acting like he is so strong. I would like to say one time to these people you are not fooling anyone but you look like an ass when you think you are doing heavy presses with as much weight as I've been doing. Your not doing it right and if you where doing it right you would certainly not be using my weight. That 1 inch movement is a waste of everyone's time and resources when you go around the gym and put more weight on than we even had and think you are impressing someone.

Now, I'm all for squatting. If you are a beginner then I think you need to squat. Bar none, end of story. There is nothing that is going to build a stronger set of legs and becoming stronger than squats. BUT... I also realize a lot of use have some trouble with the squat now days. Like me. I have so much arthritis from years of doing squats that it is better for me to do leg presses and or supported squats on a machine like the Power Tec squat machine.

Keep in mind one thing about Leg Presses there is so much controversy when doing this movement even more so than doing squats right. You still have to go to a parallel position to get anything out of it and I make sure me and my partners do this. Believe me if I thought they were doing anything less I would tell them. One thing I do pay attention to is the difference in stressing total isolation on the quads or incorporating Hamstrings into the movement. You can go down so far where you will use the entire front quads in the movement and this is fine. But that damn 1 inch movement is not doing that. It is doing nothing but wasting time. Now Going down further will incorporate the hamstrings more with a wider base. The closer your feet are together the more you will use the front quad, but you still have to go down low enough to fire up the fibers in the quad to make it an effective exercise.

I like doing this in a certain number of sets. This is why I like doing high sets and High rep sets on the Leg Press. We usually do about 5 or 6 sets of leg presses with keeping the reps in the 15 to 20 range and still going up to about 900 pounds or more sometimes. The Legs have to have a lot of stimulation to grow. You walk on them everyday. Training them hard is not an easy effort. That is why you hear so much about leg day and how hard it can be. It is supposed to be hard. If it was easy everyone would be doing it and you would not be having National Chest day you would be having National Leg leg day with everyone doing legs. You don't see that in the gym.

Now for most people this is an extreme amount of weight but this did not come quick or easy and I'm not bragging but when I see someone I know can't do this weight and using that 1 inch pump it insults my intelligence that intelligence for which I have left. I'm not just some muscle head who can't think. I actually do think this stuff out and concentrate on what we do. Making sure each workout we get the most out of it. We don't walk around talking. We work and we work hard.

So if you are one of these persons who even might think you are not doing the leg press correctly ask someone who looks like they have some big legs to critique your movement. Most of the time they will tell you the truth and direct you in the right direction. It is going to make you a better lifter in the long run and you might not get those ugly stares when you are going it WRONG!!!!

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
cra_training_zy will become famous soon enough

Default 08-13-2013, 02:52 PM

I've never liked leg presses personally. I felt that 45 degree angle just crushed my pelvis, winded me and pulled my back out. It just felt biochemically wrong.

I just squat more. I go heavy and nasty; squat ass to the grass and mix it up with 5x5 and different variations like front squats as well. I'll also Keep the rest times short to keep the ATP going.

My legs have responded well to that.

But I agree, far to many half rep hero's. Or in your case; one eighth rep hero's. I've seen far too many of them in my time, I just watch and cringe as you can see them snapping something. One guy at my gym went for a 140kg squat 1rm attempt, and he un-racked, wobbling all over the place and I just covered my eyes.

His knees just collapsed as he went down and I just heard a very loud metaly thud. It sounded and looked painful.

Too many people watch the cost of redemption, get all puffed up and cocky and think they can train like that. Sorry lads!
(#3)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
bb12 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to bb12
Default 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Great read.

I have to use the leg press because my right knee (and neck) just can't handle the weight bearing down on it in that manner. There's so many outlets to build a better body and you just have to figure out what works best and how you respond.

Once again.. great read!!

All American EFX Rep

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.
(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks

(#5)
Old
JonesCrow is on a distinguished road

Default 09-16-2014, 05:38 AM

Great post about how to do Leg Press correctly,.
I am also looking to know about it but i never get any thing .
can you please tell me that Leg Press is best for what ?

Orange County Boot Camp

Last edited by JonesCrow; 09-20-2014 at 01:51 AM.
(#6)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesCrow View Post
Great post about how to do Leg Press correctly,.
I am also looking to know about it but i never get any thing .
can you please tell me that Leg Press is best for what ?
Leg press is great for the quads. It doesn't do as well for your body's core like squats do, but they are relatively safer if by yourself. And I always used them after I did squats. You can vary your feet placement to sort of hit different areas. Go deep! Knees to chest imho and push. Control the negatives as this is just more time under load. Good stuff if done properly.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#7)
Old
simonjames is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to simonjames Send a message via Skype™ to simonjames
Default 11-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Great article...But i don't think after squats i will be able to do leg press. I will have to either do leg press first and then squat or do it when i am not doing squats.
(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabu46 View Post
Squat is a much better exercise overall, i would defiantly choose it over the leg press as one of the main exercises of my leg workout. As it is more of a compound exercise and it works all of the muscles in your legs, including small stabilizing muscles that may be stressed less by the leg press machine. The leg press is ok, but it is better for later in the workout when your muscles are tired as there is less of a chance for injury or if you are attempting to isolate certain leg muscles. If you were to omit one it should defiantly be the leg press. But if you could keep it then defiantly do it, just do it after the squat.
Great points! Although I do have mild scoliosis and some back injuries. Squats will always be primary (but lighter than I used to) and go as heavy as possible on leg press. Not ideal, but have to work around what hurdles I have.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#9)
Old
TyRant is on a distinguished road

Default 10-01-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabu46 View Post
Squat is a much better exercise overall, i would defiantly choose it over the leg press as one of the main exercises of my leg workout.
^^^ This. I pretty much never use the leg press since I always seem to burn out on squats first.
(#10)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 10-07-2015, 03:40 PM

that is why it is good to alternate squats and Hack squats every other week.

(#11)
Old
tylerpc73 is on a distinguished road

Default 04-01-2016, 04:55 PM

I feel like more people get injured on the leg press than even know it. For me I need to put the seat all the way down to the lowest setting in order to not bother my hips.