IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Sports Training, MMA & Boxing
Reload this Page Starting mixed martial arts
Sports Training, MMA & Boxing This section includes discussions on how you train for your sport of choice and also any form of hand to hand combat, everything from kickboxing, karate, martial arts, grappling, ultimate and no holds barred contact.

Starting mixed martial arts
(#1)
Old
victor is on a distinguished road

Default Starting mixed martial arts - 05-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Whenever i see taekwondo or martial arts i picture young kids with black belts. I'm 19 and I sort of want to take up jiujitsu or some martial art form. I never had the chance to learn Karate or Taekwondo, but now i sort of want to. That or Boxing. Some fighting form. A few problems are I have glasses, and dont want to get contacts. I dont want to be an actual FIGHTER i just want to do the same conditioning and training as one. Where should I start? Should i try to be more conditioned first and then go for lessons? What is the best martial art form that is most useful in fights?
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 05-18-2007, 07:32 AM

I don't think you need to improve your physical condition before you start something like this. But that said, it's always recommended you consult with a physician before you do.

But starting something like this is good for more reasons than one. Let us know what you go with.
(#3)
Old
teenbodybuilder0102 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to teenbodybuilder0102
Default 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM

im interested in getting into mma later when im like 25 or so bc i've done
karate- age 3-5
taekwondo-age 5-10
boxing- age 9-12
wrestling-age 11-now(15)
wrestling is what im best at though

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
- henry rollins
(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 05-18-2007, 04:34 PM

If I were you I would go with Boxing. You can do a Boxer's workout and work on fundementals of fighting. Learning skills like feet quickness and hand speed. Great eye to hand coordination.

Hitting the Heavy bag is a great workout. The current Boxing workout I usee now on off resistance training days looks like this.

1. warm up strecthes ( Rest one minute in between exercises )
2. mirror Boxing ( hand placement)
3. Jump Rope ( Here I start the 3 minute rounds )
4. shadow boxing (3 minute rounds)
5. Heavy Bag workout
6. speed bag workout
7. Double end bag workout.

Do this for 2 cycles at first the entire cycle from #3 is about minutes and doing it twice is 30 minutes. It is a great cardio.

I will keep you informed on this but it is great so far. Very inexpensive and you can do it at home. I will take a picture of my set up and show you.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 05-18-2007, 08:04 PM

I just installed my double end bag here is my set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All three bags.jpg (69.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DE bag and speed bag.jpg (75.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Heavy Bag.jpg (72.1 KB, 13 views)

(#6)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 05-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Damn Mac! I'm diggin' the dungeon! How much is membership?

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#7)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 05-18-2007, 09:24 PM

It's free if you come. LOL.

(#8)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 05-18-2007, 09:26 PM

I hope I can make that happen one day! You'd have to promise not to laugh at my low #'s...heheh!
(#9)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 05-18-2007, 11:29 PM

I am really not lifting that heavy these days. I am focusing on trying to burn some body fat. I have come to the realiztion that heavy lifting did nothing but make injuries I am now carrying around,but it was fun when I did it. I will probably go a lot heavier in the fall. I gotta loose this stubborn bodyfat one way or another, and I think this form of training is what will do it.

(#10)
Old
victor is on a distinguished road

Default 05-20-2007, 10:04 PM

When learning MMA, does it matter what my disabilities are? I have glasses, and cannot wear contacts because they're just too hard for me to put in. Also, let's say i wanna take up jiujitsu, would it be best to do it as a class or just get a 1 on 1 teacher?
(#11)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 05-21-2007, 05:26 AM

I can't answer that for you, I am sure kickboy is the best for that. If he does not see this thread then PM him and ask him.

(#12)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 05-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Hey guys, I have been out to lunch for a week. I just started training twice a day (still recovering from surgery) but Iím well on the way back to fight condition.
Mac Iím running 6 days a week, and Rick Iím lifting after work mornings are for cardio.

Welcome Victor, let me drop an opinion. No one martial art will prepare you for self defense. You could be the best grappler in the world but you can only take one guy to the mat at a time, so on the street his buddies can kick your head in as you attempt to choke out the one guy. Karate is a sport, with rules; fights have no rules so again not enough. I have studied jujitsu for 12 years and TSD 3 years. I feel I am just starting to learn.
Personally if I were starting out again I would take a traditional striking art, Kempo, Tang So Do or TKD. I would also find some grapplers to wrestle with, Royce Gracieís Team Rock has many locations in the US where you can train, but in the end I would pick some MMA fighter who has a style that suite you and get a training tape from them. http://www.titlemma.com/ this company has some good ones.
Oh yeah I wear glasses too but you need to take them off to fight. I have never tried them but I think contacts would hurt more than help.
(#13)
Old
JunkYardDog27 is on a distinguished road

Default 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Victor, just want to let you know, there's a huge difference between Japanese Jujitsu and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. The former's more strike and take-down oriented and the latter's more ground game oriented. To clear up any confusion, the words Jujitsu and Judo were used interchangeably in the past before Count Koma, who was a Judoka, came to Brazil and taught the Gracies the ne-waza (ground game) techniques of Judo/Jujitsu. For some odd reasons, Koma decided to introduce it to the Gracies as Jujitsu.

I don't know the difference between Judo and Jujitsu these days but in Judo, we practice alot of take downs such as hip tosses, sweeps, and trips, but little in the ground game. Also, if your opponent's shoulders are pinned to the ground for 25 secs, you win the match -- whereas in Jiujitsu, you keep going until you secure a joint lock or choke on your opponent.

Now, if you're going to pick a stand up oriented martial arts, I'd pick Muay Thai kickboxing, boxing, or Kyokushin Karate. In my opinion, these are way more superior to other traditional martial arts such as Tae Kwon Do or Wing Chun Kung Fu because they are more practical.

Do a Youtube search of Tae Kwon Do or Wing Chun and you'll probably be convinced that there's no way to realistically fight an opponent by using flashy but powerless kicks or sugar plum fairy hand slapping motions. You need a straight right cross to the face, or perhaps the left leg kick or the liver kick -- not a 360 crescent kick to the head.

And make sure that your instructor is legitimate. There are way too many fakes out there, especially 300+ lbs. fatass with a black belt and certification in ninjitsu...
(#14)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA
kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of kickboy has much to be proud of

Default 08-22-2007, 05:44 AM

Excellent post JYD, and I agree with most everything you say. TKD is a sport oriented Martial Art which is designed to score a point and if you hit too hard you will receive an infraction at most tournaments.
My problem with Muay Thai is the same thing sport oriented although they usually go full contact but the mind set assumes you are fighting in a ring with some rules. True self defense is not flashy and very brutal.
This is IMO the biggest thing, who is your instructor and do the two of you have a good student teacher relationship. We have special classes for people who are mature enough or trusted by the teacher to handle the responsibility of truly deadly techniques.
The question I have for the TKD high kicker is ďwhy kick the head when the knee is easier and quicker to get to? And if you kick his knee out where is his head going to be, at knee level. The answer is at TKD events leg checks are illegal.
Think about this too, if you hit a guy in the head and his head snaps back where will the energy go. If you put them on the ground and kick the head with it on the hard ground where is the energy going to stay, it may be the difference between an impressive strike VS a busted head.
I apologize for being so opinionated but I do love my style Tang Soo Do, and I train under the strict rules of MOO DUK KWAN.
I guess what I am trying to say is that every style has strength and weakness but what tools a student carries is what he has. I also meet guys at tournaments who have this degree in this and this degree in thatÖÖ and they are in their late 20ís which tells me they know a little about a lot of stuff and a lot about nothing.

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#15)
Old
nj4mwc is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to nj4mwc
Default 08-22-2007, 08:02 PM

IMO you have to try styles untill you find one that you like and want to train. I wrestled in school and took Tae Kwon Do for about 10 years, some kickboxing, kempo, and a little bit of judo and grappling. When it comes to self defense i feel the most important thing is learning how to follow the fight and read the telegraphs a person gives before striking. Just about any style you will learn this especially when trying many styles. If you have no plans of being a fighter then you should definately find one you enjoy and suck up all the knowledge
(#16)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA

Default 08-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj4mwc View Post
IMO you have to try styles untill you find one that you like and want to train. I wrestled in school and took Tae Kwon Do for about 10 years, some kickboxing, kempo, and a little bit of judo and grappling. When it comes to self defense i feel the most important thing is learning how to follow the fight and read the telegraphs a person gives before striking. Just about any style you will learn this especially when trying many styles. If you have no plans of being a fighter then you should definately find one you enjoy and suck up all the knowledge
Do you still train, and after 10 years of TKD do you feel you still retain most of what you learned? Do you still keep in touch with your teacher?

The mind and the body are interrelated: what you do to one necessarily effects the other. There must be a balance between the two. If your body is strong but your mind is weak, you are a powerful instrument with no direction; such an instrument rarely produces good. If your mind is strong but your body is weak, then you may be filled with purpose and good intentions but have no strength necessary to act on your impulses. You must strengthen your mind to control your body; and strengthen your body so you can always follow the good directions of your mind.
(#17)
Old
nj4mwc is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to nj4mwc
Default 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM

i stopped formal training about the time i joined the coast guard about 5 years ago, but i keep up the bag work and shadowbox type workouts and have occasionally found co workers who have trained and have been able to get some sparring in. i totally think i have retained the large majority of what i learned especially in muscle memory when it comes to technique. I havent spoken to my instructer since i joined the cg but my mom and his mom both go to the same gym so we kinda speak through them occasionally.
(#18)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM

i want to learn a form of MA but im not sure what would fit me best. im 22yrs 5,9 210 lbs. i think for my more muscular size and lack of reach id be better with a grappling style or straight boxing style. any recomondations on styles i should research??
(#19)
Old
Voice of Reason
MIA

Default 10-26-2007, 05:20 AM

For me it is all about the teacher student relationship, good teachers with obedient students equals a well balanced MA. I think that is more important than style.
So how do you know if the teacher is any good? Check out the relationship between them and their teacher. Even if your rank is Master if your teacher is alive you always have someone looking over your shoulder.
MA is truly a journey and not a destination.
Here is another thought, if all your instructor does is brag about what they have done he is IMO no good (he is still trying to convince himself and everyone else he is what he says he is) on the other hand if you come home from class mentally and physically beat but feeling like you learned you have a good one.

(#20)
Old
M1A2_Abrams is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A2_Abrams
Default 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Yea know kickboy I have to agree with you I recently am getting back into the mma society again after a long break do to military service and lack of time. I just started at Jorge Gurgel gym up in cincy and I must say I leave the class everytime physically and mental beat and always feel as I have learned something. I think that is the most important aspect of having a great teacher.