IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Bodybuilding Supplements
Reload this Page Creatine 101
Bodybuilding Supplements Find out which bodybuilding supplements work and what their effects are on performance!

Creatine 101
(#1)
Old
JGarcia28 is on a distinguished road

Default Creatine 101 - 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Hey guys, Jeremy here with another article and another supplement like always! Today we'll be going over...drum roll please.. Creatine! The most studied supplement in sports medicine history! Creatine can be obtained naturally through red meat, fish, and poultry. However, this isn't enough to fully saturate your system, so yeah, you guessed it!....There's a supplement for that! You know the drill!

Creatine 101

Lets split this article into three parts as follows:

1. What is Creatine?
2. Forms of Creatine and How They Work
3. FAQ

1. What is Creatine?

Creatine is a naturally occurring compound known in the scientific world as “methyl guanidine-acetic acid “. Creatine is made up of amino acids including: Methionine, Arginine, and Glycine. This compound is what we deem responsible for the creation of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) and the conversion of ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) into ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate). Adenosine Triphosphate is an energy source for muscle fibers and allows muscular contraction to occur. Creatine may have a slight increase in cellular protein synthesis, brain activity, and even a lactic acid buffer in some studies.

2. Creatine Forms and How They Work

Okay, so you've done your research but your curious about what creatine is right for you. Check out this list I typed up to aid your decision!

Creatine Monohydrate

The most popular and most studied form of creatine out there, known as “N-Amidinosarcosine”. Creatine monohydrate is often associated with the characteristic of “bloating” or intra-muscular (inside a muscle) water retention. However, because this water retention in intra-muscular, creatine monohydrate will not effect stage presence and is in fact used 3-5 days pre-contest by many bodybuilders to absorb that last bit of water and aid their dryness on stage.

Dosage: 5g per day every day
Cycling: No need to cycle off, however, a two week break every 6-8 months may be beneficial.
My Recommendation: CreaPure 100% pure micronized creatine monohydrate.

Creatine Ethyl Ester

Arguably the second most popular form of creatine out there, Creatine ethyl ester is also known as “CEE” in the body building world. The reasoning behind bonding a creatine molecule with an ester is to mainly enhance absorption, and uptake into the muscle cells. Creatine was also bonded like this to skip the ever so bro-scientific “loading phase” that was thought to be mandatory with creatine monohydrate.

Cycling: No need to cycle off, however, a two week break every 6-8 months may be beneficial.
My Recommendation: CEE is mainly hype, lacks long term research, and better results may be experienced with other creatine forms.

Creatine Magnesium Chelate

One of the most efficient, smoothest mixing, easily dissolved, and best working designer creatines on the market. Creatine magnesium chelate, also known as “MagnaPower”, was created to enhance absorption, minimize water retention, and increase saturation within skeletal muscle. From experience I agree that it does just that!

My Recommendation: Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude, or bulk MagnaPower powder.

Creatinol-O-Phosphate

This is a form of creatine featured in VPX products which is often referred to as COP. The funny thing is, its NOT creatine! It actually mimics the effects of beta-alanine instead of attempting to increase creatine saturation within skeletal muscle. (Please refer to my other sticky titled “Pre-workouts 101” to learn all about beta-alanine)

Dosage: 1-3g per day every day
My Recommendation: Vpx NO Shotgun or bulk COP

Creatine HCL

Created by accident while attempting to create another CEE compound in 2003, creatine hydrochloride is considered the “concentrated” creatine form due to its ability to micro dose. Popularized by CON-CRET, Creatine HCL was created to rapidly saturate a muscle with creatine without bloat, or the need to cycle off. Creatine HCL It provides nicely sustained strength gains over time and was put into Muscle Pharm's Assault for its pre-workout debut. It is also believed that creatine HCL has a zero conversion rate into creatinine. (Creatine's waste product)

Dosage: 1/4th TSP per 100lbs BW per day every day
My Recommendation: Promera Health's CON-CRET

Di-Creatine Malate

Di-creatine malate, also known as “2CM”, is two creatine molecules bonded to a malic acid molecule. The addition of malic acid will increase energy production and in turn, increase creatines conversion into ATP. (Adenosine Triphosphate) The addition of malic acid may also increase creatine absorption to a degree.

Cycling: No need to cycle off, however, a two week break every 6-8 months may be beneficial
My Recommendation: Controlled Labs Green MAGnitude or bulk 2CM powder

Kre-Alkalyn

Kre-Alkalyn is a “buffered” form of creatine designed to inhibit creatinine conversion and allow better absorption. Its designed to buffer the acid in the stomach allowing creatine to proceed without degredation, and minimal water retention/bloat.

Dosage: 1.5-3g per day every day
My Recommendation: Better results may be experienced with other creatine forms.

FAQ

Will creatine cause any form of organ damage?

NO.

Is creatine safe?

YES. Creatine is the most studied, and one of the safest supplements on the market.

Am I old enough to use creatine?

Creatine is usable by those 15-16 years of age and older.

Is creatine a steroid?

NO.

I hope you all have learned something. Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to post any questions you have below. Remember to check out the IPYU store for some awesome prices on the products mentioned above!Thanks again for reading guys!

-Jeremy

Last edited by JGarcia28; 09-29-2011 at 01:16 PM.
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM

good stuff brother! I stickied it and will read it more when I am sober!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old

Default 09-27-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Haha alright thanks man! I appreciate it.

Dont drink too much!

Last edited by JGarcia28; 09-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
This might happen to you man....Imagine....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4118e7a6-f141-4bea-9d41-2fc0112c6293.jpg (56.6 KB, 19 views)
(#5)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-27-2011, 10:49 PM

You fucker! My beer goggles are NEVER that thick!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#6)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM

I think there is something more than beer goggles going on in that situation!!! Lol

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#7)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 09-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You fucker!
LOL- hahahaha

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#8)
Old

Default 09-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Jeremy,
This is great. Perfect thing to reference to when we are all trying to buy creatine and figure out what the best one is to buy.
What do you take????? I like the Kre-Alkalyn and thought it worked very well.

Rick- thanks for making this a sticky. Again good reference material.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#9)
Old

Wink 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Jeremy,
This is great. Perfect thing to reference to when we are all trying to buy creatine and figure out what the best one is to buy.

Kre-Alk, in my opinion, has its functionality based on responders. Very few people get gains with kre-alk that are better than ConCret, or Green MAGnitude. Controlled labs green magnitude, creapure, and con cret are my choices for the best on the market. Almost everyone sees the best creatine based gains of their life on Green mag. It contains two extremely fast absorbing, high quality designer creatines and definitely takes the cake when you taste it. It tastes great, mixes VERY well, and absorbs quickly and efficiently. You cant ask for anything else especially when it comes in an 80 serving tub. IMO, best on the market so far. BUT..If you do respond to kre-alk, go for it. What it comes down to is, whatever works, works. Everyones body is different and is going to react to things differently than others. My friends have gotten really sick from kre-alk and never bought it again. That kinda left an impression that wasn't all that great. lol
(#10)
Old

Default 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarcia28 View Post
Kre-Alk, in my opinion, has its functionality based on responders. Very few people get gains with kre-alk that are better than ConCret, or Green MAGnitude. Controlled labs green magnitude, creapure, and con cret are my choices for the best on the market. Almost everyone sees the best creatine based gains of their life on Green mag. It contains two extremely fast absorbing, high quality designer creatines and definitely takes the cake when you taste it. It tastes great, mixes VERY well, and absorbs quickly and efficiently. You cant ask for anything else especially when it comes in an 80 serving tub. IMO, best on the market so far. BUT..If you do respond to kre-alk, go for it. What it comes down to is, whatever works, works. Everyones body is different and is going to react to things differently than others. My friends have gotten really sick from kre-alk and never bought it again. That kinda left an impression that wasn't all that great. lol
GreenMag from Controlled Labs is good stuff. Only tried samples so far but hear it is good.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#11)
Old

Default 09-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
GreenMag from Controlled Labs is good stuff. Only tried samples so far but hear it is good.
It definitely is man. They didn't take a cheap route either, so no skimping on quality is a great thing. Get micronized creatine mono, and green mag. mix them side by side. chew the liquid and you'll feel almost nothing with the green mag and sand with the mono. But, in the end of the day, they both work.
(#12)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarcia28 View Post
It definitely is man. They didn't take a cheap route either, so no skimping on quality is a great thing. Get micronized creatine mono, and green mag. mix them side by side. chew the liquid and you'll feel almost nothing with the green mag and sand with the mono. But, in the end of the day, they both work.
Ive heard the mixability in green mag is amazing. I think once im out of concret I will give it a shot. Local GNC offered buy one thing of concret get two more for free. Couldnt turn that down! Lol. Concret is definitely some good stuff. Ive gone through a tub and a half, and ive noticed some pretty decent gains.

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#13)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The hulk juice is my fav creatine as well. I mix in 5g mono and it's still the best tasting creatine ive had. And they offer it at a real low price per serving.
This thread just furthers my love for green mag
(#14)
Old
ShawnD is on a distinguished road

Default 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm gonna be starting Magna power tomarrow and I was wondering do I take 5 grams on off days too? And if I use more than 5g will it be a waste?

OFWGKTA
(#15)
Old
- Freak On Wheels! -
AA EFX
Rich Knapp is on a distinguished road

Default 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Jeremy,

I agree on the K-A. I took creatine for over 10 years even before JG (17 years old) was born or I started bodybuilding before the wheelchairchair. lol ( People with M.S. are naturally low in creatine levels without supplementing it.)

I went to Kre-Alkalyn a few years back. Now I'll never go back.

But again as he states these are only his opinion not fact, as liking Kre-Alkalyn is ours.

I'm a very layed back nice guy not trying to start anything just bringing out a pionts that these "BESTS" are only his opinion. I don't want new members to read this and think it is 100% fact.

First Tested Natural Wheelchair Pro in History

*-* 3DMJ Sponsored Athlete*-*

----NEVER THINK YOU ARE PERFECT, IF YOU DO YOU WILL NOT IMPROVE.----

---------Judge yourself not just admire whats there.----------

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 02-02-2012 at 07:33 AM.
(#16)
Old

Default 02-10-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp WNBF Pro View Post
I agree on the K-A. I took creatine for over 10 years even before JG (17 years old) was born or I started bodybuilding before the wheelchairchair. lol ( People with M.S. are naturally low in creatine levels without supplementing it.)

I went to Kre-Alkalyn a few years back. Now I'll never go back.

But again as he states these are only his opinion not fact, as liking Kre-Alkalyn is ours.

I'm a very layed back nice guy not trying to start anything just bringing out a pionts that these "BESTS" are only his opinion. I don't want new members to read this and not buy our products.
Fixed. Fair enough, you've stated how long you've used YOUR OPINION of the "BEST" creatine and like you felt the need to, I will repeat myself and even underline and bold it for you like you did to me. Thats your OPINION, that its the "BEST". it isn't 100% FACT,... Now you can explain to Tim that when he thinks he's taking kre-alk, hes been on mono for years. Why? Well, Tim is a fan of sci fit...and what do we know about sci fit? Not only are they a shit company, but they've been passing off kre-alk as mono for YEARS!!! A third party lab test sponsored and funded by All American® Pharmaceutical (Aaefx) to bust scifit and revealing that their kre-alkalyn was capped mono and All American® Pharmaceutical wants to sue for violating the patent they have. So most people who take kre-alk, are actually taking mono since scifit is in the top 3 best selling kre-alkalyns in history. So yeah guys, you might wanna drop sci-fit. AAEFX or "All American® Pharmaceutical" needs to also prove that creatine requires a lower ph level for better absorption and their claim of a "28% strength increase" from kre-alk. Until then, toss it in the trash. Kre alk is just mono at a premium. Also, sci-fit's protein is underdosed...Just thought id throw that in there

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.

~198lbs since last weigh in

RAW Stats:
Deadlift: 455lbs+ (Old Max)
RackPull Deadlift (from knee height): 600+lbs
Squat: 405+lbs
Box Squat (below parallel): 495lbs x 7-8
Bench Press: 300+lbs
Dumbell Press: 105+lbs
RAW Total: Over 9000

(Cold) Measurements:
Arms: 16.5in.+
Quads: 27in.+
Calves: ~16.5in.
Forearms: ~13in.

Last edited by JGarcia28; 02-10-2012 at 05:19 AM.
(#17)
Old

Smile 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM

Latest News
Kre-Alkalyn® Alert
Sci-Fit Kre-Alkalyn® Products are Counterfeit

All American Pharmaceutical has just become aware that ATF Fitness Products, Inc. is selling a product labeled "Sci-Fit Kre-Alkalyn®” that is counterfeit. These products have been tested and found to contain none to traces of Kre-Alkalyn®, but instead contain creatine monohydrate. The Sci-Fit Kre-Alkalyn® product does not provide the beneficial results of using the patented Kre-Alkalyn® product. Products identified in this fraud thus far are Sci-Fit Kre-Alklayn® 1500 capsules and Sci-Fit Kre-Alkalyn® 1500 Powder.

Consumers can be confident that they are purchasing an unadulterated Kre-Alkalyn® product by purchasing capsules having a printed and color-coded capsule as displayed below.

Official Purple Kre-Alkalyn® Capsule Guide:

Kre-Alkalyn® Capsule Guide

This alert relates ONLY to the Sci-Fit brand of Kre-Alkalyn® products.
AAP facility expansion complete

All American Pharmaceutical (AAP) recently completed an expansion of its INFORMED-CHOICE* certified manufacturing facility in Billings. The contract manufacturer of nutritional supplements added 33,000 square feet of warehouse storage to its 110,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility. At the same time, the company's main building was remodeled to the highest FDA standards for a drug-manufacturing facility, including clean rooms for sanitary processing.

"With the additional warehouse space, we're able to free up more space for production," says Joe Archer, VP sales & marketing. "But more importantly, this also gives us room for a separate raw materials warehousing area, which is essential in our ongoing objective to avoid cross-contamination of materials and to be able to quarantine ingredients while testing for authenticity and purity."

With construction complete, AAP expects to hire for new positions in the coming months to staff the addition. "This marks completion of the first phase of our expansion. We expect to begin a second phase next year to add even more production area," comments Archer.
ATF/Sci-Fit License Agreements Cancelled

All American® Pharmaceutical served ATF/Sci-Fit with a Notice Of Cancellation for its license agreements for Kre-Alkalyn®, KarboLyn®, ProtaLyn® and Gluta-Lyn®.

This Notice Of Cancellation means ATF/Sci-Fit will no longer be able to:

Purchase these ingredients/capsules or
Market and sell products with these ingredients/capsules in them.

The Notice Of Cancellation was officially served to ATF/Sci-Fit on Dec. 12, 2011.

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.

RAW Stats:

(Cold) Measurements:
(#18)
Old

Default 02-10-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
I'm gonna be starting Magna power tomarrow and I was wondering do I take 5 grams on off days too? And if I use more than 5g will it be a waste?
Nah stick to 5 grams per day everyday. More then 5 grams per day isn't necessary and wont have an impact on your gains. Nice choice by the way, excellent creatine.

RAW Stats:

(Cold) Measurements:
(#19)
Old
ShawnD is on a distinguished road

Default 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Should I continue creatine even though I'm starting my cut?

OFWGKTA
(#20)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 03-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnD View Post
Should I continue creatine even though I'm starting my cut?
Yes! I continued to take it up until the day of my competition

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed