IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Bodybuilding Supplements
Reload this Page Pre-Workouts 101
Bodybuilding Supplements Find out which bodybuilding supplements work and what their effects are on performance!

Pre-Workouts 101
(#1)
Old
JGarcia28 is on a distinguished road

Default Pre-Workouts 101 - 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Hey guys! Jeremy here with the next installment of the “101” series where I break down practically an entire category in the supplement industry! Whats this post about you ask? Well....”Nitric Oxideology”. Thats right! Pre-Workouts, N.O., Stimulants, you name it! Now that you're on the edge of your seat......Let's do this!

Pre-Workouts 101

First, we'll split this article into 5 sections.
1. Stimulants
2. “Nitric Oxide”
3. Other pre-Workout Ingredients
4. My personal recommendations
5. FAQ

Ahh yes! We've all seen this before... You're on your way to the gym, you just ate your pre-workout meal, you're well hydrated, but for some reason you just don't “feel” like lifting. Its not an issue anymore thanks to arguably the second biggest powerhouse category in supplementation today. So, you guys are probably thinking..”#@$! This stuff is awesome! I wonder how it works!” Well, that's why I'm writing this.

Pre-workout supplementation works by using a combo of ingredients to increase focus, energy, pumps, strength, and in some cases euphoria depending on the products ingredient profile. Lets start off on base 1. Stimulants!

Stimulants

Pre-workout supplements use an ingredient category known as “stimulants”. For those of you who are not fond with the industry, here's the definition:

Stim∑u∑lant
n. 1. An agent, especially a chemical agent such as caffeine, that temporarily arouses or accelerates physiological or organic activity.

How do stimulants work?

Caffeine- Adenosine is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter in the brain which controls activity levels. The more abundant adenosine is in the brain, the higher energy the individual may experience. Caffeine works by bonding to adenosine receptors in the brain allowing a much higher volume of free adenosine, which in turn, GREATLY increases energy levels but may result in a crash or sleepiness after its effects wear off.

1,3 Dimethylamylamine (a.k.a. Geranium / Geranamine / Methylhexaneamine / 1,3 DMAA)- 1,3 Dimethylamylamine works by mimicking adrenaline in the body. 1,3 DMAA is known to cause a massive crash in some users and even euphoria compared to that of actual illegal drugs. Its currently being used as the latest “party pill” among teenagers due to its stimulant capabilities. Other side effects may include temporary erectile disfunction known as “stim dick”.

Guarana- A natural source of caffeine popularized in many of today's popular energy drinks. Guarana is believed to work the same as caffeine, with the exception of a slightly longer half life/absorption time.

**Note: The belief of a longer lasting halflife effects from guarana is still not scientifically backed enough for me to confirm its true. **

Shizandrol-A- A focus agent extracted from the ancient chinese herb “shisandra chinensis”. Popularized as an energy booster as well as a strength booster. Limited studies may suggest a characteristic for liver protection as well.

Huperzine-A- A focus agent with similar effects as Shizandrol-A extracted from a plant known as “Huperzia serrata”.

Ephedrine (a.k.a. Ephedra)- Ephedrine is an agent that stimulates the release of norepinephrine, and noradrenaline. Epinephrine is the bodies go-to chemical for blood pressure increase and is released by ephedrine and hordenine. Adrenaline will activate the bodies “fight or flight” mode creating severe strength increases, drastic increases in metabolic rate, thermogenesis, and increased focus. No wonder its the best fat burner around huh?

Dosages

Caffeine: up to 300mg max per dose, don't exceed 600mg per day

1,3 Dimethylamylamine:
up to 80mg per day, can be in a single dose.

Guarana: up to 1g per day, 4 times per day. (4g per day max)

Shizandrol-A: up to 100mg per dose, daily maximum not yet established

Huperzine-A: continuous dosage over 100mcg may cause toxicity in the body, avoid this by lowering the dose or cycling the product.

Ephedrine: 20-30mg per dose for the typical EC/ECA stack. Don't exceed 100mg per day.

Nitric Oxide

Nitric Oxide is a naturally occurring gas produced in body that is only stable for a few seconds. Since you cant purchase N.O., we need to utilize precursors to this remarkable gas to obtain increased levels when lifting. It all started from arginine, but after thorough scientific trials, we now truly know who/what the REAL pump factors are. Let me introduce you.

L-Citrulline- The precursor to arginine that is the real culprit for N.O. production. It was believed that N.O. Production began by an enzyme called arginase breaking down the amino acid “arginine”. However, in order to receive the amount of N.O. we are dosing for, arginine would need to be dosed at 30-50g intravenously. (through a syringe with pharmaceutical grade solution to get the arginine in our bloodstream) Why do we need this you ask? Well, ingesting anything over 10 grams of arginine orally may have a laxative effect and who wants to lift like that? That's why we began testing other amino acids until we found citrulline! Citrulline (for those of you who don't know) is a precursor to arginine, meaning it breaks down in the body to arginine. Therefore, since citrulline can be orally administered and deliver more nitric oxide per gram than arginine can, we have found our latest break through for all you pump junkies out there! Since, citrulline is broken down into arginine when already in the bloodstream, increased N.O. production can take place immediately! Citrulline is often bonded with malic acid to create citrulline malate. Malic acid will raise endurance and energy in the gym and its effects build up over time.

Agmatine- The latest and most powerful N.O. producer to date. This powerhouse arginine metabolite doesn't just rapidly increase blood N.O. levels, it has MANY other uses as well! Agmatine is used for vasodilation, nutrient partitioning, LH and GH release, and even mood enhancement!

Nitrates- One of the true, proven vasodilators on the market. EXCELLENT for increased N.O. levels in the bloodstream and can come in MANY variations from arginine nitrate to even creatine nitrate!

Norvaline- Since arginase breaks down arginine, norvaline works by inhibiting arginase in the first place allowing arginine to survive much longer in the blood stream. This, in turn, allows increased Nitric Oxide levels in the bloodstream and vasodilation.

Dosages:

Citrulline: 2g-6g preworkout

Agmatine: 250mg-1g Preworkout or 500mg twice per day (Training Days: one dose in the morning upon waking, and one dose pre-workout. / Off Days: one dose in the morning upon waking, one dose before bed.)

Nitrates: 3-6g pre-workout

Norvaline: 250mg pre-workout

Misc. Ingredients

These are a couple misc. ingredients that are commonly put into pre workouts yet do not require dosages before lifting.

Beta-Alanine- Beta-Alanine buffers lactic acid by raising intramuscular carnosine levels. This creates a much larger potential for extra repetition and in turn, more potential for muscle growth!

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate (a.k.a. LCLT)- This is the amino acid responsible for delivering energy to the mitochondria of a cell. Increasing this amount will lead to an increased natural energy production, possible thermogenesis, faster metabolic rate, androgen receptivity/sensitivity, and is a powerful anti-oxidant.

Dosages:

Beta-Alanine: 1.6g, twice a day (3.2g per day total)

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate:
1g, 2-4 times a day (2-4g per day total)

My Recommendations

Okay, so here's my opinion of what products are the top supplements for a pre-workout in four different categories.

Focus:
Serious Nutrition Solutions Focus XT
Muscle Pharm Assault
Controlled Labs White Flood V.2

Energy:

Neogenix Cryoshock
Muscle Pharm Assault
VPX N.O. Shotgun

Pumps/Vasodilation:
Iforce Nutrition Hemavol
MAN Sports Body Octane
Gaspari Nutrition Superpump Max

Stimulant Free:

MAN Sports Body Octane / Omega Sports Ultima
Iforce Nutrition Hemavol
VPX Powershock

FAQ

Are Preworkout supplements safe?

YES. Please remain within the recommended serving suggestion to prevent any possible health problems.

Is there an age requirement for pre-workout supplements?

YES. Please follow the age requirement listed on the container. In most cases, this age is 18. (In most cases, pre-workouts can be used by people 16 and older safely if correct dosage is used and the product is thoroughly researched.)

Last edited by JGarcia28; 09-29-2011 at 04:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JGarcia28 For This Useful Post:
GYMRVT (07-02-2015)
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM

I've tried more PW's than I care to count, Jack3d is the best yet...too damn bad I build a tolerance for everything lol

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#3)
Old

Default 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
I've tried more PW's than I care to count, Jack3d is the best yet...too damn bad I build a tolerance for everything lol
Have you tried any of top 3 choices?
(#4)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed ont he Jack3d for sure but give that Impac a shot...I had to change up the dosage a little but stuff works pretty good...

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#5)
Old

Default 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Any opinions on the post guys?
(#6)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 09-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Looks like you put a lot of work into it good job!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#7)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Looks good brother! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#8)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarcia28 View Post
Have you tried any of top 3 choices?
On your list just cryoshock that I can remember. I've never liked NO products, most of em just make me sweat my boys off (I'm a winter baby, my body temp is always high). Once I'm too hot I'm all done, it's almost like being hungover.

The only stim that works for me at a reasonable dosage is 1,3 dimeth...and even that at most I can use it every other day, 2 days in a row = tolerance reached and it does nothing for me. I mean the caffeine pills in mstak or just a cup of joe will keep me awake, but will do nothing to boost my energy level.

I kinda gave up on PW stuff, I'll take Jack3d on days I'm not feeling 100%, otherwise I haven't found one I've ever bought more than once.

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#9)
Old

Wink 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
On your list just cryoshock that I can remember. I've never liked NO products, most of em just make me sweat my boys off (I'm a winter baby, my body temp is always high). Once I'm too hot I'm all done, it's almost like being hungover.

The only stim that works for me at a reasonable dosage is 1,3 dimeth...and even that at most I can use it every other day, 2 days in a row = tolerance reached and it does nothing for me. I mean the caffeine pills in mstak or just a cup of joe will keep me awake, but will do nothing to boost my energy level.

I kinda gave up on PW stuff, I'll take Jack3d on days I'm not feeling 100%, otherwise I haven't found one I've ever bought more than once.
I would say give a yohimbe and shizandrol-A/Huperzine-A blend a shot. Not very "stimmy" but focus based agents may do you well.
(#10)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Focus XT + Impac = my new fav PW stack. Good positive energy and focus, no jitters or crash.

Hemo Rage concentrate was good for a pure energy boost.

(#11)
Old
- Freak On Wheels! -
AA EFX
Rich Knapp is on a distinguished road

Default 02-02-2012, 07:04 AM

JGarcia28, Have you tried AAEFX's K-Otic in your research?

First Tested Natural Wheelchair Pro in History

*-* 3DMJ Sponsored Athlete*-*

----NEVER THINK YOU ARE PERFECT, IF YOU DO YOU WILL NOT IMPROVE.----

---------Judge yourself not just admire whats there.----------
(#12)
Old

Default 02-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp WNBF Pro View Post
JGarcia28, Have you tried AAEFX's K-Otic in your research?
To be honest, nope. Nothing against your company, but Im not a big fan of the profile so I haven't really wanted to try it..

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of many males to my place of residence and/ or employment, and they declare that its quality far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it far surpasses yours. I could convey to you the recipe, but i would have to demand compensation.

~198lbs since last weigh in

RAW Stats:
Deadlift: 455lbs+ (Old Max)
RackPull Deadlift (from knee height): 600+lbs
Squat: 405+lbs
Box Squat (below parallel): 495lbs x 7-8
Bench Press: 300+lbs
Dumbell Press: 105+lbs
RAW Total: Over 9000

(Cold) Measurements:
Arms: 16.5in.+
Quads: 27in.+
Calves: ~16.5in.
Forearms: ~13in.
pw for women
(#13)
Old
mojocat27 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to mojocat27
Default pw for women - 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM

This is my first try of a pw boost and I tried cellucor C4 extreme. It seems to work for me. I get bored after 20 min on treadmill and 10 min or so on weights. Ist time taking this I was 30 min on tredmill another 30 on weights and another 20 on the bike and I was still wanting to hit it hard. Any one have any ideas esp. for us ladies. I am 5ft 3 140lbs and a size 4. I wanna firm up and get more definition.
(#14)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat27 View Post
This is my first try of a pw boost and I tried cellucor C4 extreme. It seems to work for me. I get bored after 20 min on treadmill and 10 min or so on weights. Ist time taking this I was 30 min on tredmill another 30 on weights and another 20 on the bike and I was still wanting to hit it hard. Any one have any ideas esp. for us ladies. I am 5ft 3 140lbs and a size 4. I wanna firm up and get more definition.
Welcome aboard! There's really nothing different a woman should do than a man. If you want to "firm up", then lift, eat right, some cardio, and rest.

And women can lift big without getting big. It's a fact. You won't look like a man if you lift big unless you use drugs and too much of them. Best to achieve it naturally imho.

Have any questions, feel free to post them. Again, welcome and good to have you here!

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#15)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Yeah I don't see it being a supplement problem. C4 isn't half bad and a full serving should have a girl going hard.
Maybe your routine isn't keeping you interested? I suggest only doing 5 minutes of cardio to warm up and get the heart going, then so some full body lifting, and finish with a long cardio session. Maybe you should start a workout log so we can go more in depth

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?22n4wx
(#16)
Old
mojocat27 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to mojocat27
Default 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM

I just wasn't interested before the c4....start with cardio 20 min now i am up to 30min with a higher intensity and weights more reps. I need to sit down and fig should I do cardio before weights or after and maybe one day do upper body weights one day lower the next. My goals are to firm up and gain a lil muscle. I am happy with what the scale says : )
(#17)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM

It is usually always better to do your fat burning cardio after you train with weights. This way you have worked through your glycogen reserves after you have trained with weights and then you cardio sessions are pretty much fat burning because your body starts to use fat cells as energy to perform aerobic activity. Plus if you are looking to have a good weight session cardio before could very well weaken you a little bit.

Now with that said You still may want to warm up with cardio for about 10 minutes just to get a light sweat going that way you are properly warmed up.

Oh by the way Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat27 View Post
I just wasn't interested before the c4....start with cardio 20 min now i am up to 30min with a higher intensity and weights more reps. I need to sit down and fig should I do cardio before weights or after and maybe one day do upper body weights one day lower the next. My goals are to firm up and gain a lil muscle. I am happy with what the scale says : )

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#18)
Old
RCSS
- IPYU GURU -
emekajokammor is just really nice emekajokammor is just really nice

Default 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
It is usually always better to do your fat burning cardio after you train with weights. This way you have worked through your glycogen reserves after you have trained with weights and then you cardio sessions are pretty much fat burning because your body starts to use fat cells as energy to perform aerobic activity. Plus if you are looking to have a good weight session cardio before could very well weaken you a little bit.

Now with that said You still may want to warm up with cardio for about 10 minutes just to get a light sweat going that way you are properly warmed up.

Oh by the way Welcome to the forum
x2.

Welcome Mojo

Emeka "The MeNAcE"Okammor

Visit me at www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
Tell a friend...
(#19)
Old
Chemistryguy85 is on a distinguished road

Default 03-26-2012, 07:26 PM

Love the non-stim pre-workout suggestions. Do you find that it helps to add creatine to Body Octane or Hemovol?
(#20)
Old
Chemistryguy85 is on a distinguished road

Default 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM

For the price, I really like Scivation Novem, but I am looking forward to trying Craze.