IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Supplements > Bodybuilding Supplements
Reload this Page Protein 101
Bodybuilding Supplements Find out which bodybuilding supplements work and what their effects are on performance!

Protein 101
(#1)
Old
JGarcia28 is on a distinguished road

Cool Protein 101 - 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Hey guys, I decided to clear up some popular bro-science out there by thoroughly explaining protein types, breakdown, filtration, etc.. So without further a due, lets rock n' roll brothers.

PROTEIN 101

WHEY Protein
Starting off with the most popular form of protein (by FAR), lets start off with whey and its forms!

What is whey protein and what can it do for me?

Whey is a by-product formed by being enzymatically separated from milk during the creation of cheese. It is a solid by nature that resembles curdled milk and contains approx. 20% of the net protein from the milk being used. (Milk is 20% whey and 80% casein)

Whey is an inexpensive whey (lol) to meet your macro nutrient requirements for the protein category. As we all know, protein can truly make a day and night difference in the results obtained from weight training. So, because protein is such an important macro nutrient, we as bodybuilders MUST hit these macros day-in and day-out to reap full benefits of our hard work in the gym. Unfortunately, obtaining 300+ (600+ in Ronnie's case) grams of protein per day from food is unrealistic and will definitely dent your wallet for a quality food source. That's where whey comes in! The ability to continuously hit your macro nutrient requirements everyday is very valuable to the dedicated bodybuilder and should always be considered a STAPLE in your supplement arsenal.

**Remember, gains are diet dependent. Just because you own whey DOES NOT mean you should rely on it. It is a SUPPLEMENT, and should be used to SUPPLEMENT a well constructed diet.**

How is whey absorbed?

Whey is broken down in the body by a process called "hydrolyzation". Hydrolyzation breaks protein down into chains of amino acids known as "Peptides". Some of these peptide forms include Di-peptides, Tri-peptides, Oligo-peptides, and Poly-peptides depending on the type of amino acids contained in these chains and their individual abundance. The body will then absorb the broken down chains as free form amino acids and put them to use for multiple tasks.

Will whey protein damage my internal organs such as kidneys, liver, etc..? Is it truly safe?

NO and YES. Those rumors are false, un-backed claims by faulty "studies" that should not be paid attention to.

Am I old enough for whey protein?

YES. Whey does not require a specific age requirement to be consumed safely.

CASEIN Protein
This is the not so popular milk derived protein which is often overlooked when seeking a protein supplement. Casein also has uses dating back to the ancient Egyptians such as glue.

What is casein protein and what can it do for me?

Casein protein is made by drying the curd of soured skim milk into a powder and doesn't require the amount of filtration as its brother protein, whey. Just like whey, and other proteins, casein is a supplement used to aid meeting your daily macro nutrient requirements.

How is casein absorbed?
Unlike whey, Casein creates a thick, gel-like, cottage cheese consistency in the stomach which is believed to continuously digest over a period of up to 7-8 hours. Casein is very popularly used as a "Night Time" protein to allow positive nitrogen balance in the bloodstream as well as a continuous flow of amino acids to your muscles.

**Remember, casein protein is by no way necessary. Fats slow digestion and can be used in-sync with a protein source to mimic casein's effects.**

Will Casein protein damage my internal organs such as kidneys, liver, etc..? Is it truly safe?

NO and YES. Those rumors are false, un-backed claims by faulty "studies" that should not be paid attention to.

Am I old enough for casein protein?

YES. Casein does not require a specific age requirement to be consumed safely.

MILK Protein

Milk protein is probably the least popular supplemental form of protein out there. It is simply a blend of 20% whey protein and 80% casein protein. Both proteins in milk will digest in their own specific ways. **See above**

Will milk protein damage my internal organs such as kidneys, liver, etc..? Is it truly safe?

Am I old enough for milk protein?

YES. Milk does not require a specific age requirement to be consumed safely.

EGG (Albumin) Protein
Arguably the most bio-available form of protein out there because of its easy digestion and manipulation in the body. Also one of the most underrated proteins in the supplement industry to this day.

What is egg protein and what can it do for me?

Egg protein is contained in the egg white known as the "albumin". Egg Albumin is simply dehydrated and powdered egg white and is commonly added into protein blends to achieve a variety of absorption times.

How is egg albumin/protein absorbed?

Egg actually digests very similarly to other dairy proteins because it follows the same hydrolyzation properties, and similar absorption times of milk protein.

Will egg protein damage my internal organs such as kidneys, liver, etc..? Is it truly safe?

Am I old enough for egg albumin/protein?

YES. Egg albumin does not require a specific age requirement to be consumed safely.

Molecule Types

Concentrates:

"Concentrated" protein, often seen as Whey Protein Concentrate, contains large amounts of lactose and fat. Whey, Casein, and Milk concentrated protein molecules have often undergone far less filtration compared to their isolate counterparts. Concentrated protein forms are also very inexpensive, and mix thicker than isolates and hydrolyzed proteins.

Isolates:

"Isolates" are just that. "Isolated" forms of protein. I'll explain. As protein is filtered, the protein molecule is separated from a large amount of the lactose and fat contained by its predecessor, a concentrate. Isolates have a MUCH faster absorption time, and are an excellent choice for post workout nutrition and are ESSENTIAL for those on a cut or a pre-contest diet. Expect isolates to be a bit more pricey due to higher quality and filtration. Isolates mix thinner than concentrates, but thicker than hydrolyzates.

Hydrolyzates:

Now that you know the way protein is absorbed, hydrolyzed protein is enzymatically pre-digested. Pre-digestion meaning that enzymes hydrolyze the protein into peptides so your body doesn't have to in order to skip the hydrolyzation process and be absorbed instantly. In fact, did you know hydrolyzed whey protein digest FASTER than free form amino acids?! Hydrolyzed protein is by far the priciest, yet fastest absorbing protein on the market today. Hydrolyzed proteins mix thinner than both isolates and concentrates.

Filtration Types

Ion Exchange

Ion Exchange protein is separated by utilizing two chemicals, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. These two chemicals bond to the protein molecule to create an electrical charge inside the protein molecule. This protein is then attracted to a collection vessel like a magnet to a fridge. As you can tell, this is the lowest grade of filtration out there for Concentrates and isolates.

Cross-Flow, Micro Filtration

The best quality of filtration available is a Cross flow, Micro Filtrated protein molecule. When protein is filtered this way, it means the protein molecules themselves were put through a VERY dense filtration device to run the molecules through tightly bound fibers. These fibers pull apart the protein molecule to assure zero degradation to the protein itself, and an optimal level of separation between the protein molecule and the lactose/fat bound to it.

Cold Processing

Lets face it. TEMPERATURE MATTERS!! Whey is naturally broken down and degraded by heat. Its like putting a steak on a grill for too long. The steak is now burnt to a crisp, incinerated, and its protein value is destroyed. Same thing here! Whey protein is very sensitive to heat, and is better handled cold to prevent the degradation of its protein value. Why is it so tough to find cold processed, quality whey? Because its VERY expensive. Most companies don't bother putting the best foot forward on their protein quality and you as the consumer suffer greatly. As protein degrades, it loses valuable amino acids that are beneficial to you and your bodybuilding career.

Typical Absorption Times

Whey Concentrate: 10-15min depending on filtration, quality, and metabolic rate.

Whey Isolate: 3-7min depending on filtration, quality, and metabolic rate.

Whey Hydrolyzate (Hydrolyzed whey): 60-180sec depending on filtration, quality, and metabolic rate.

Casein (calcium caseinates, Micellar, etc..): up to 7-8hrs depending on filtration, quality, and metabolic rate.

Milk Protein: (Mix between Whey and Casein)

Egg Albumin: 3-4hrs depending on filtration, quality, and metabolic rate.

Thanks for reading guys! I hope this helped.
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM

AWESOME

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#3)
Old

Default 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Hopefully this is sticky material
(#4)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM

I would say so. Thanks for posting, that's an excellent write up J!!
(#5)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM

very Good write up. Thanks Kris for sticky this.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#6)
Old

Default 09-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Thanks onetiredkris and roarinmadmac. Tried my best lol. I'll be working on an NO product 101 thread tomorrow to thoroughly cover pre workouts as well as I can. Thanks again
(#7)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Jeremy,
This is definitely "sticky" material!!
This was a very very informative post!
Good one!!!!!!!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#8)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Default 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

I have a question about using whole milk to mix a postworkout whey shake. Will the fats in the milk slow down the absorption to the point of the proteins not getting into the muscles fast enough?
(#9)
Old
AX
DevilDog324 will become famous soon enough

Default 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM

This thread is amazing!!! Good job man!!!!!!

Team AX
AX Sponsored Athlete

Liftin weights, and eatin steaks!

If you're not going to enter the pain zone on leg day, you might as well go play hopscotch in the parking lot of your gym.
(#10)
Old

Default 09-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
I have a question about using whole milk to mix a postworkout whey shake. Will the fats in the milk slow down the absorption to the point of the proteins not getting into the muscles fast enough?
To be honest, many recent studies have shown that the "anabolic window" for post workout nutrition will not make any significant increase in overall body composition. So no, the fats in whole milk will not do anything to your gains.
(#11)
Old

Default 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog324 View Post
This thread is amazing!!! Good job man!!!!!!
Thanks
(#12)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Gerbilo is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to Gerbilo
Default 09-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Good write-up. It's good to see facts laid down in a proper way as opposed to "claims" using biased information, or peoples speculation.

I do have a follow up question though. What is the maximum limit that a person can consume of these proteins in a single sitting and have it be absorbed? Are they different for each type of protein? It's probably different depending on the person, but I was just curious.
(#13)
Old

Talking 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbilo View Post
Good write-up. It's good to see facts laid down in a proper way as opposed to "claims" using biased information, or peoples speculation.

I do have a follow up question though. What is the maximum limit that a person can consume of these proteins in a single sitting and have it be absorbed? Are they different for each type of protein? It's probably different depending on the person, but I was just curious.
Hey Gerbilo,

To correctly answer your question, you can eat as much protein as you want. See, the body isn't stupid. If you give your body 60, 80, or even 100 grams of protein in one sitting, you body will try its absolute best to absorb it. We know your body can absorb this much protein because bodybuilders these days consume upwards of 3-5lbs of meat every single day to maintain their 300lb+ physiques. As far as I know, there is no solid scientific evidence that gauges maximum protein absorption rates and amount per sitting or per day. Most people you ask will say its between 20-30g of protein an hour however I believe these rates/amounts vary based on BMR, activity level, amount of sleep, the protein source/filtration/form, etc.. So long story short, (too late :P) no one knows lol
(#14)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-24-2011, 06:15 PM

I agree it tries, but I honestly don't think there's a need for over about 50g of protein per meal. Too many calories is too many calories so careful what goes with it. That's still above what I do, but just saying. Based on my own internal bro-science.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#15)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
JohnBeef will become famous soon enough

Default 09-25-2011, 03:40 AM

very good write up!

" And this time I really mean it when I say it... LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" - King Ronnie after 2011 neck surgery.

Good nutrition is Universal

(#16)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Gerbilo is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to Gerbilo
Default 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Alright, cool. Thanks. Yeah, I've heard a lot of varying info on the subject and figured that the body would use as much as possible in the best way it can. I've just seen different brands that have 60g protein per serving or something like that and thought it seemed like a little bit of overkill for 1 sitting. Personally, I normally try to split my intake up through the day in increments of 20-50g per sitting. A huge ass steak is always fine by me though... lol.
(#17)
Old
The Riot!

Default 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarcia28 View Post
To be honest, many recent studies have shown that the "anabolic window" for post workout nutrition will not make any significant increase in overall body composition. So no, the fats in whole milk will not do anything to your gains.
So with said window pretty much being moot, is there any point in having all these super fast absorbing(and high costing) proteins??
What's your take on postwo simple carbs then?
(#18)
Old

Default 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
So with said window pretty much being moot, is there any point in having all these super fast absorbing(and high costing) proteins??
What's your take on postwo simple carbs then?
Post workout, Nope. Their benefits differ because of their different macro nutrient profile. Thats all. If you can spare the added fat, lactose, and calories, a good quality whey concentrate will do the exact same thing a hydrolyzed protein will. post workout carbs for the whole "insulin spike" thing isn't necessary, however I do prefer to have something in my system after my workout because I'm usually absolutely fried after. I never understood why people go out and buy dextrose. Honestly, drink a gatorade or something with electrolytes or something else beneficial.

Also, the main benefit of a hydrolyzed imo is being an excellent addition in an intra-workout supplement due to its incredibly fast breakdown and absorption.
(#19)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM

I am a firm believer in the "anabolic wndow." There are several that are critical. Right when you wake up, right after weight training or cardio, and to some degree before you go to bed. Makes sense to me to feed hungry muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read that you can consume 80% of daily protein needs right after you workout.
To be honest, I have thought it was always nice to get a higher quality protein, but Whey protein concentrate in large amounts has always been my goal and of course it is alot more economical.
I always believe that the more protein the better. I aim towards 300+ a day and that does not include incomplete protein sources which can add up to a 400+ gram total. You have to train hard to merit and facilitate that or like Rick said, it will be extra unused calories.
Dorian Yates started the whole eat tons more and the bigger bodybuilders of today all eat tons of protein.
I do know that Nasser El Sonbaty eats 600 grams precontest, and only 100 grams offseason.
For me, my greatest gains have occured when I forced myself to eat the 300+ grams a day.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert
(#20)
Old

Default 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I am a firm believer in the "anabolic wndow." There are several that are critical. Right when you wake up, right after weight training or cardio, and to some degree before you go to bed. Makes sense to me to feed hungry muscles!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read that you can consume 80% of daily protein needs right after you workout.
To be honest, I have thought it was always nice to get a higher quality protein, but Whey protein concentrate in large amounts has always been my goal and of course it is alot more economical.
I always believe that the more protein the better. I aim towards 300+ a day and that does not include incomplete protein sources which can add up to a 400+ gram total. You have to train hard to merit and facilitate that or like Rick said, it will be extra unused calories.
Dorian Yates started the whole eat tons more and the bigger bodybuilders of today all eat tons of protein.
I do know that Nasser El Sonbaty eats 600 grams precontest, and only 100 grams offseason.
For me, my greatest gains have occured when I forced myself to eat the 300+ grams a day.
By "anabolic window" you mean having protein post workout and a form of food/carbs? I agree that post workout protein and a food source or carbs are a positive thing, and I practice that rule myself every single day. However, these days, we have "Window Nazis" (If I may call them that) . These are people who think that a 5 minute gap of no protein can make you lose a "huge" amount of gains. I'm not a junkie, and I know that the window isn't essential, but I do realize science can only go so far in proving something for the 6-7 BILLION people on this planet with one study -_-. So, I'll leave it at this. Leaving a muscle hungry for hours (such as bedtime) isn't beneficial and will do some damage to your physique in the long run. BUT...The time difference between digestion and absorption of a whey isolate or whey hydrolyzate does not justify the cost difference IMO.

Cliffs:
the window won't make or break you, but do it anyway so your body has a food source
don't sleep without Peanutbutter