IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Topic of the Week
Reload this Page Power Vs Strength Vs Endurance.
Topic of the Week Just what it says. Each week we will have a new Topic to discuss. If you have one, feel free to start it.

Power Vs Strength Vs Endurance.
(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default Power Vs Strength Vs Endurance. - 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Okay here is a good topic to talk about this week.

Being that all three of these are related what is your opinion on the subject of Power Vs Strength Vs Endurance.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM

I'm not sure what differs with Power vs Strength.

But Endurance is different than those because a sprinter can have power or strength, but not endurance. I think of myself in the fitness world as a sprinter...not a marathon runner. I want big legs, not stringy long marathon or cross-country type legs.

Is this what you mean?

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM

yeah.... but there are some differences in Marathon Endurance and sprinter Endurance.

I think the Sprinter endurance can hold up longer just because the Power and strength are there.

I think it is all about ( again we have heard this) Time under tension...

The amount of time spent against resistance help build our endurance as well.

(#4)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Default 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Hmmm... Endurance is how long you can go without stopping....at least the way I view it. I guess there would be an HIIT type endurance for a sprinter if he was doing it over and over.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
ouija is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Power = quick big moves, massive dudes (not necessarily good looking either)
Strength = controlled heavy moves (big primary muscles, stabalizers etc strong but not as developed)
Endurance = over and over and over again (full looking muscles)

Different strokes for different folks.

Guys doing powerlifting are strong mothers...but 99% of the time I wouldn't want to look like one (no offense but I've never watched a strongman or powerlifting comp and said, damn I wanna look like that).

Most bb'ers I'd say train for strength, although they use a combination of things obviously, most training is controlled, less explosive than endurance/power training.

Endurance, marathon runners, fighters etc. They're pretty strong, pretty quick, lean...just not all that big lol, burnin too many calories.

I think every athlete needs all of these qualities and they should train all styles from time to time, but as I said above, different sports require a different specialty as you will. It's like the army, you got guys with tack drivers, guys with assault rifles, and guys with rocket launchers...they're all shootin stuff and killin things, just doin it with a different specialty.

"Ain't nothin to it but to do it"

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#6)
Old
Bigmix is on a distinguished road

Default 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I tend to agree with Ouija on this one my training has really become a hybrid of all those aspects...Endurance higher reps with heavier weight...supersets and moves with very little rest 15-30 secs. Controlled moves power out of the hole... pauses at the bottom and top of the moves. 5 seconds down on the negative of the move 2 seconds up on the positive side....so many different techniques to achieve all three Power,strength and Endurance.

I changed gears when wanting to play semi pro football in the early 90's moving heavier weights for higher reps I learned I had no real muscle endurance that's when I started with the high reps heavy weights. Squats was the easiest transition into this style everything else followed.

Bigmix
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM

I just did roughly 8 weeks of nothing but lighter, super high volume training. Switching back to heaver moderate volume stuff. I lost a little bit as far as how much weight I can move, but my movements are much, much steadier and I'm hitting my target muscles much harder with less weight than I was before. There's no doubt a mix or hybrid of styles is good and invaluable in developing your body for any type of sport. The trick is knowing when to cycle workouts to get to your goals quicker and more effectively

"If I'm gonna die tonight, if this weight is gonna kill me tonight, then so be it."
(#8)
Old
Bigmix is on a distinguished road

Default 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
I just did roughly 8 weeks of nothing but lighter, super high volume training. Switching back to heaver moderate volume stuff. I lost a little bit as far as how much weight I can move, but my movements are much, much steadier and I'm hitting my target muscles much harder with less weight than I was before. There's no doubt a mix or hybrid of styles is good and invaluable in developing your body for any type of sport. The trick is knowing when to cycle workouts to get to your goals quicker and more effectively
that really is the truth.

Bigmix
(#9)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Yup my standard workout is 'usually' 5 rep sets for strength and some lighter weight high rep finishing sets. Ancillary movements are almost always higher rep. The exception to my 'usual' is my new fave GVT!

Last edited by RickB; 09-14-2011 at 06:05 PM.
(#10)
Old
CandyGirl is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM

IMO, it depends on the goal of the person, as of now my goal is stronger, but endurance to keep my 5k status up as well as improve my running time. But I want to strenthen my quads to build mass which in turns helps me improve my running time. In no way do I have runner's legs compared to my running companions. This has all worked to my advantage as of today I have decreased my 5k running time significantly.
(#11)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 09-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Im more of Power, endurance do to the profession...Short fights after the run down....lol

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#12)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM

Your absolutely right Chris...... That is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

In a way they are all related. but just having one is not key. Having all is the key. Well the two most important is Power and Endurance IMO...... Strength is a by product of these two.

(#13)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Yep....thats my story and I am sticking to it!!!...lol

The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#14)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac View Post
Well the two most important is Power and Endurance IMO...... Strength is a by product of these two.
I'd disagree. My buddy and I both work physically demanding jobs and we lift together afterwards. I can outlift him any day of the week in the gym. But when the weekend comes and we do some work on the farm, the guy totally kicks my butt when it comes to whippin around heavy stuff.

Strength is a more refined, controlled attribute, where Power is more of a raw chaotic force.

(#15)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM

With the help of Dictionary.com

Power -

1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.
3. great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.
4. the possession of control or command over others; authority; ascendancy: power over men's minds.
5. political ascendancy or control in the government of a country, state, etc.: They attained power by overthrowing the legal government.

Strength -
1. the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
2. mental power, force, or vigor.
3. moral power, firmness, or courage.
4. power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
5. number, as of personnel or ships in a force or body: a regiment with a strength of 3000.

Endurance -
1. the fact or power of enduring or bearing pain, hardships, etc.
2. the ability or strength to continue or last, especially despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions; stamina: He has amazing physical endurance.
3. lasting quality; duration: His friendships have little endurance.
4. something endured, as a hardship; trial.

(#16)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Wutd they say for powerlifting vs strength training

(#17)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.

Default 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouija View Post
Wutd they say for powerlifting vs strength training
They said:

Quote:
uhhhhhhh....wut?

(#18)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-14-2011, 09:41 PM

OJ, I have to account for the adreneline dump which fatigues your ass QUICKLY, so I try and train Power and Endurance the strength will be there just due to the dynamic of the situation... and here in the south we would call your friend "farm boy strength"...lol Guys that work on a farm lifting stupid heavy things like feathers and take them to the gym and they just can't run with the big dogs....

(#19)
Old
SNS
NomZ is on a distinguished road

Default 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Power is a combo of speed and weight moved.

Strength is weight moved without regard to speed.

Strength and power all day for me.

Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com

All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.
(#20)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER

Default 09-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Rick I meant is there a definition for strength training and power lifting...purely a symantics argument but what the hell, I'm not doing anything important atm lol.

I don't call him farm boy strong, I call him Shrek...stupid big boned ogre haha.