IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Topic of the Week
Reload this Page How the heck do you get calves to grow?
Topic of the Week Just what it says. Each week we will have a new Topic to discuss. If you have one, feel free to start it.

How the heck do you get calves to grow?
(#1)
Old
IPYU Resident Supplement Expert
TimM will become famous soon enough

Default How the heck do you get calves to grow? - 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM

This guy from Dymatize came in the other day and was complaining about how sore his calves were. Told me he can only train them every-so-often or they will get too big. WTH!!
I said "Let me see them!"
His calves were some of the biggest calves I have seen!
I was reading where Nasser El Sonbaty said that if after a few years of training them they don't grow huge you will never have huge calves. Sometimes I believe that. Sure someone has a some tricks or some crazy routine that gets these puppies growing.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
Fitness and Supplement Expert

Last edited by TimM; 09-27-2011 at 10:50 AM.
(#2)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

GENES!!!

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#3)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM

reps,reps and more reps.

Controlled labs supps.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM

High reps with heavy weight with lots of frequency is the only thing that has worked for me.

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#5)
Old
LisaIJT has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-16-2011, 04:13 PM

I am one of those that just has big calves, but I still work them. I had a calf tear last year, and my Dr. said that I had "Popeye" calves, so it was not going to be a big deal.....not sure I took that as a compliment....but I still work them. I figure they are supposed to be big.
(#6)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM

popeyes better then oilive oil.lol

Controlled labs supps.
(#7)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
FearnonebutOne is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
popeyes better then oilive oil.lol
True that brother!!!!

Blessed are the Peacemakers
The pain of SELF-DISCIPLINE will never be as great as the pain of REGRET "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
(#8)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Gerbilo is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to Gerbilo
Default 08-16-2011, 11:54 PM

I've noticed more from my calves since I started my new job last Feb. Could be the lifting in that period as well, but I think the combination of the lifting, and using them all day at work, moving things around, pushing/pulling the 750lbs cryo cylinders, etc etc works. Gotta beat them to hell I guess haha.
(#9)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
Troy1982 is a jewel in the rough

Default 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM

I've heard that you have to do exercises where your knees are bent because when they are straight you don't hit the entire calf. Could be bullshit but the guy who told me seems to know his stuff.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
Such is the rule of honor.
(#10)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Calves are our leg's forearms. But unfortunately our feet don't grip anything so we can't build them that way. I think both straight legged calf raise and bent/seated combined would be good. And I don't see why a serious beating more than twice a week. Just like any muscle....we tear them down but they grow with rest and diet.

I see a lot of people do short but rapid reps with calves. I love a huge stretch at the bottom and contract/squeeze at the top. This means to get that huge stretch, doing calf raises on the flat floor ain't going to get it imo.

I haven't worked mine much in the past, but starting to hit them pretty good again. I noticed about 2 yrs ago I have a serious problem with my left calf looking way different than my right. Not sure what I can do about it other than just keep working them both the same.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#11)
Old
LisaIJT has a spectacular aura about

Default 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1982 View Post
I've heard that you have to do exercises where your knees are bent because when they are straight you don't hit the entire calf. Could be bullshit but the guy who told me seems to know his stuff.
Actually, that is true! That is the only way to hit the soleus: http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...soleus-muscle/

I just started doing seated calf raises again, since Rick brought in a raise for us....hello soleus!

Muscle mass does not always equal strength. Strength is kindness and sensitivity. Strength is understanding that your power is both physical and emotional. That it comes from the body and the mind. And the heart....Rollins
(#12)
Old

Default 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Supersets and drop sets on calves will blow them up. Mine our muscular and all the right places are built but I want them to be huge. Anything that has worked particularily well for anyone!?

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#13)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 08-25-2011, 02:09 AM

Plantar Flexion is “toe pointing”, i.e., increasing of the angle between the foot and the shin. Having both a medial and lateral head, the gastrocnemius (big calf muscle on top) is effected by foot placement to the outside or inside. Furthermore, in addition to plantar flexion, the gastrocnemius can also perform knee flexion, but not simultaneously. Due to the origin of the muscle, the gastronemius is shortened during knee flexion and therefore cannot plantar flex the ankle at the same time. For this reason, seated calf raises will not develop the gastrocnemius. Moreover, pointing the toes during a leg curl effectively turns the gastrocnemius off, making the remaining knee flexors do more work. The soleus is involved in all plantar flexion, regardless of the angle of the knee joint.

Short version: Leg straight = Gastroc and soleus. Knees bent = soleus only. Playing with foot placement during straight leg calf raises can emphasize one head over another. Also, the gastrocnemius is involved in knee flexion (ex, leg curls).

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#14)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Good explanation Loaf.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#15)
Old

Default 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loaf View Post
Plantar Flexion is “toe pointing”, i.e., increasing of the angle between the foot and the shin. Having both a medial and lateral head, the gastrocnemius (big calf muscle on top) is effected by foot placement to the outside or inside. Furthermore, in addition to plantar flexion, the gastrocnemius can also perform knee flexion, but not simultaneously. Due to the origin of the muscle, the gastronemius is shortened during knee flexion and therefore cannot plantar flex the ankle at the same time. For this reason, seated calf raises will not develop the gastrocnemius. Moreover, pointing the toes during a leg curl effectively turns the gastrocnemius off, making the remaining knee flexors do more work. The soleus is involved in all plantar flexion, regardless of the angle of the knee joint.

Short version: Leg straight = Gastroc and soleus. Knees bent = soleus only. Playing with foot placement during straight leg calf raises can emphasize one head over another. Also, the gastrocnemius is involved in knee flexion (ex, leg curls).
Good response LOAF!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#16)
Old

Default 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM

What is your favorite calf builder!?

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#17)
Old
The Riot!
onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all onetiredkris is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to onetiredkris Send a message via Yahoo to onetiredkris
Default 08-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loaf View Post

I love it when you stop in to make one pretty badass post. The disappear into the shadows for another 6-12 months <3
(#18)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
bb12 has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to bb12
Default 08-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Heavy one week, high reps the next with light weight

Has worked wonders for me
(#19)
Old

Default 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM

higher reps seem to work a little better for me especially if I superset them. They blow up!

Tim Muriello
www.IllPumpYouUp.com
(#20)
Old
Bigmix is on a distinguished road

Default 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Just hammer them I've played around with foot placement, bent legs, donkey calf raises, leg press machine, calf machine, seated calf raises, and standing. I've even locked my calves up to the point of only being able to walk on the front of my feet. I believe if your an active person (don't sit at a desk and are on your feet every day) you have to hit them even harder. I trained my calves like crazy when I was younger and for a tall guy they aren't bad at 19". You ever notice a person over weight person has huge calves and haven't trained them??? I get pissed every time I see it (my calfs got bigger when I weighed 340lbs also)....Hammer them does that sound to simple?

Bigmix