IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Topic of the Week
Reload this Page Topic of the Week (2009-01-22)
Topic of the Week Just what it says. Each week we will have a new Topic to discuss. If you have one, feel free to start it.

Topic of the Week (2009-01-22)
(#1)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default Topic of the Week (2009-01-22) - 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM

I had thought about us bringing up a topic each week and we could discuss. Whether it be diet,training,supplements,etc. It seems to be getting a litttle controversy in another thread, so I figure why not sart with it!

What do you think about deadlifts? Should they be a staple in back workouts? You like them, hate them?

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#2)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM

I agree that beginners should be doing them, as long as they are taught good form. My problem is with it being a stronger lift, I have seen deadlifts more abused with ego's than bench press! I do agree it builds good thickness, but I always preferred other rowing exercises and hyperextensions for the lower back. As a bodybulder, longevity is the name of the game and I feel once you get really strong at deadlifts it can lead to injuries. On the other hand, countless bodybuilders such as ronnie coleman,Dorian yates,etc have had great success with them. I guess it comes down to personal prefernce, what exercises are comfortable with YOUR bodytype. Some people are just strucutred different and cant do certain exercises properly.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 01-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Matt I am going to move this to the new Forum. Thanks for thinking of this. Great Idea!!!

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#4)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM

i think its a great first excercise to start off the back workout.if done right you feel it thru the entire back.im also a huge fan of racklifts,thanks to rmmac.
i do see it done wrong quite a bit which makes me wonder how they can walk around the next day.
get the form right and its all growth after that.

Controlled labs supps.
(#5)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Nothing works my upper back like deadlifts.
Performing deadlifts fosters an anabolic state throughout the entire body, and for this reason, they are invaluable.
(#6)
Old
Hill30008 is on a distinguished road

Default 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM

I think your right to point out that it may be body type specific Matt. I've never been a fan of them, because of bein really tall and thin. When I try to do them, I feel like Im putting so much stress on my lower back rather than the combined muscle groups that should be involved. Instead I use a plethora of rows, pulldowns, pullups, and shrugs to get all my back muscles
(#7)
Old
indianballer will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to indianballer
Default 01-22-2009, 09:22 PM

love them...didn't start taking them seriously until about the past year, but i agree nothing compares to them in the way you can make it work your entire back...i love to throw in a nice shrug at the top of every rep too...more than anything it just gets all the nerves firing for me so i can feel all the muscles in my back, and consequently can get a better workout with the rest of my back day

also, i may be completely delusional, but I've been struggling with kyphosis and scoliosis my whole life and i feel that deads, squats, and cleans really help to strengthen the erector muscles and have done wonders for my spine.
(#8)
Old
Trey is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Trey
Default 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM

i love deadlifts when i wake up in the morning and try to sit up i really feel it

how do u guys lower the bar do u just slam it down once you get up or do u slowy lower it

6'0
184lbs
(#9)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction
jwood819 has a spectacular aura about

Default 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM

I love deadlifts, they are my new favorite lift. I only started doing them a few months ago because of some of the guys on this website and I thank you. I feel they have taken my strength to a whole new level. I have always done heavy compounds, but was always scared of deadlifts.

I think as long as you have good form and work up from a lower weight they are an awesome workout. I can feel throughout my entire back, and sometimes through my entire body!!
(#10)
Old
AA EFX
rippednmichigan is a jewel in the rough

Default 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Dead's I love them but tend to take it easy and don't get the full benefit out of them do to off and on back problems.

Social Media Manager/ Board Rep
Be sure to "LIKE" us on Facebook!!

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/
(#11)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 01-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
i love deadlifts when i wake up in the morning and try to sit up i really feel it

how do u guys lower the bar do u just slam it down once you get up or do u slowy lower it
I do not slam them down. I hate when I see people do that when they are doing reps. A controlled descent adds to the workout. I want the most out of it so I ease it down.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#12)
Old

Default 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I do not slam them down. I hate when I see people do that when they are doing reps. A controlled descent adds to the workout. I want the most out of it so I ease it down.
Not only that, a lot of the injuries from deadlifts happen when people just let go of the bar and dont control it as your are saying Rick. No need to slam it, just control it and feel the muscles work.

(#13)
Old
AA EFX
rippednmichigan is a jewel in the rough

Default 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt20 View Post
Not only that, a lot of the injuries from deadlifts happen when people just let go of the bar and dont control it as your are saying Rick. No need to slam it, just control it and feel the muscles work.
As with any exercise control is the key. My son thinks because he did his 10 reps so fast he's cool. I try to tell him it's not about the cool factor it's all about slow, easy, steady control.

Social Media Manager/ Board Rep
Be sure to "LIKE" us on Facebook!!

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/
(#14)
Old
Gov. of the World Candidate
The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all The Loaf is a name known to all

Default 01-29-2009, 02:22 AM

i agree with you guys about lowering under control. If you don't have control over the weight, why are you using so much in the first place, y'know?

but one thing I have to add is that I don't understand why deadlifts are talked about like an exclusive back exercise. It's a complex lift that involves both the lower and upper body. I'll typically put it with an upper body day, yes, but you can't deny the work your legs are getting. If you're mostly extending your back, you might as well call it a Good Morning.

Nothing great was ever achieved by being realistic. Most people get scared when setting goals, and ask only for what they think they can get, not what they really WANT. This is a mistake because puny, "realistic" goals are NOT motivating, WANTS are motivating.

I got the shakes that'll make ya quake
I got the fries'll cross ya eyes
I got the burgers....
Well, man, I just got burgers!
(#15)
Old
naug44 has a spectacular aura about

Default 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM

I love the dead lifts. IMO I think this exercise pulls all the muscles together, from legs to back to shoulders. A good dead lift performed in a steady and controlled movement is a great builder.
(#16)
Old
Trey is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Trey
Default 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM

how do u guys feel about bars? is it easier when using the trap bar or is it just as hard when using a straight bar

6'0
184lbs
(#17)
Old
aka J "PR" Wood
Anabolic Addiction
jwood819 has a spectacular aura about

Default 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM

I prefer the straight bar, I am just more comfortable with it.

I also feel that legs should be thought of as more of a leg workout, personally I feel that them a lot in my legs. I notice if I focus on my legs while doing this lift I can do a lot more weight with better form. Maybe it is just in my head.
(#18)
Old
Banned
Muscle And Brawn has a spectacular aura about

Default 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
how do u guys feel about bars? is it easier when using the trap bar or is it just as hard when using a straight bar
The trap bar is good, but if you are looking for back development, I would stick with regular deadlifts.

But nothing says that you can't rotate exercises