IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > General Topics > Submit Your Own Articles!
Reload this Page Learning to listen to your body
Submit Your Own Articles! Write an article on any fitness or nutrition topic and share it with the world!

Learning to listen to your body
(#1)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default Learning to listen to your body - 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM

I've been lifting weights since I was 10 years old. My Daddy got me one of those Charles Atlas plastic filled with concrete weight sets to start lifting with. However he would not let me put weight on the bar until I could do each of the three big lifts with proper Technique. Until I learned how to lift and how to properly stretch before and after my workouts was I allowed to go heavier. When I did finally learn this my strength took off.

Over my 30 years experience in lifting weights I've learned a couple of things. One is that lifting goes hand in hand with proper rest and nutrition. The other thing is not to rush things to much.

I see lifters and people on facebook and other outlets that put up motivational posters that make me laugh sometime when these motivational quotes are telling you things like " you ain't lifting if the bar ain't bending" Or. " you ain't lifting if you aren't bleeding. WTF is that all about. It is a pretty sad state of affairs if you have to injure something to achieve something. Yeah, I agree with doing battle against the iron everyday but I also believe is what I call the Riddle of Steele. This was made famous to us in the First Conan the Barbarian movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Conan's people had what they believed was the riddle of steel but Thulsa Doom's answer to the Riddle of Steel was what we should strive for. The true Riddle of Steel is that Steel is not strong. Flesh is stronger. what is steel to the hand that wields it . what is steel to the hand that forges the steel to bend it to it's will.

So we are the forger's of steel and do with it what we want done with it. We don't bend to it . It bends to us. Doing battle with the iron day in and day out is a battle of wills. Iron will not give. You have to move it. It is your will against it.

After we learn to control the iron is when we learn to control how our bodies work but you have to be smart about it. You have to know when to rest and to feed it right. It amazes me when I see guys wanting to get in the gym and destroy every thing they see want to bend the bar. That will come I say if you train right. Right now is not what is best when your not there yet. you have to condition yourself put your time in. Become a veteran of the iron. Know how to bend it to your will so to speak.

The time will come to make people's heads turn to awe at the feat's of strength you put forth in the gym. You have to put the time in first. The old saying goes. Rome was not built in a day. Neither is your body. It takes a little time to become great. All the great athlete's just did not wake up one day and become champions. They put the time in. So will you have to do the same thing.

FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

It's funny you mention this because me now (the new more into fitness and not packing on more muscle - self) have now viewed those things on facebook etc and causes a mental-eye roll. For one, just because one doesn't want to lift weights doesn't make them any less of a man/woman. *I still lift, but not for size. I think whatever a person chooses to do in life....learn it well, live it well, and you will achieve. I think that's more or less what you are saying regarding lifting. I do not view those people as some sort of "elite". I see them just like me and my boys who are now ate up with motocross. Me being 44, I have to stay fit to keep up with them somewhat LOL! So a gym-rat I still am.

But I digress. The jest of your message I agree with.

------------------

Lemme digress one more time. Since I am shrinking....I feel those memes that say "Do you even lift" are targeted at my types and it causes me to think....."straddle a dirt bike and follow me". LOL! Let's see how well you do. I learned pretty quick that you don't want extra fat or even too much muscle to be able to stay competitive through a whole race. I rode Saturday and Sunday and I swear my legs and back are fried!!! Damn it's fun! /digression

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)[FONT=Tahoma]

(#3)
Old
Hulk Administrator
RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute RoaringMad Mac has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to RoaringMad Mac Send a message via Yahoo to RoaringMad Mac
Default 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Your Right Rick. It is about total fitness and being good at what you want to be good at and doing your best

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoaringMad Mac For This Useful Post:
RickB (02-04-2013)
(#4)
Old
Hulk Administrator

Default 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM

wow