IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness Find Us on Facebook! Follow Us on Twitter! Follow Us on Twitter! Ad Space Available
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   IllPumpYouUp.com - Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, & Fitness > Specifically For You > Powerlifting & Strength
Reload this Page conventional to sumo deadlift
Powerlifting & Strength The strongest of the strong discussing strength techniques and powerlifting tips. If you want strength over size, this forum is for you.

conventional to sumo deadlift
(#1)
Old
powernick is on a distinguished road

Default conventional to sumo deadlift - 12-24-2011, 09:29 PM

As of recent, I've decided to make the switch to sumo style since i've been reading that training this way and competing conventional gets you a very good carry over. Have any of you gone through this and did it hold its truth when you switch back to conventional? I ask this because when i was deadlifting today I did one set conventional and the weight felt a bit heavier than when I would deadlift sumo; not to mention the movement felt awkward. Why is this?
(#2)
Old
Admin/IPYU I.T.
RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of RickB has much to be proud of

Send a message via Yahoo to RickB
Default 12-24-2011, 11:57 PM

IMO, the start of the movement using very different muscles. I had always done conventional and then switched to sumo for over a year and became a big fan. But I've switched back and felt like I wasn't quite as strong. I dunno really...I've got back issues and a hip issue. I'm a wreck really haha! But I choose to work around it and go with ever bothers me the least.

Socrates: "All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine."
Current Supplements: Protein (varies) - ON Optimen Vitamins - PreSurge Unleashed - SciVation Xtend (Recovery)
Find me on:

(#3)
Old

AX
-Euro Man -
recarp82 is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via Yahoo to recarp82
Default 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM

different muscles used with the bar being more center of gravity to your hips.also using your quads a bit more in the movement.i would do these before i would do conventional deads.

AX STRENGTH MUSCLE BOOK TRAINING.
SUPPS-AX Supersize, AX Ultra Reps, carnobolic.
http://www.athleticx.net/
(#4)
Old
matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future matt20 has a brilliant future

Default 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
different muscles used with the bar being more center of gravity to your hips.also using your quads a bit more in the movement.i would do these before i would do conventional deads.
I agree with recarp. I have back issues and sumo doesnt bother my back, where as conventional I am sore in a bad way for a week or two. IMO sumo is also safer in the long run. I actually prefer trap bar deadlifts over both.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need" - HateBreed
(#5)
Old
5 STAR MEMBER
PAPAW is a jewel in the rough

Send a message via AIM to PAPAW
Default 12-29-2011, 05:47 PM

I'm a big sumo fan. I used it when I powerlifted. I deadlifted 425 at 165 pound body weight. I miss being able to lift heavy.